Trunk light wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I just installed the OEM trunk light, part number "D1ZB-13A756-BC "

its connected to the wiring harness over the rear driversside wheel well. (grn/yel).

the issue is that I always mesure 12v at the light fixture with the trunk lid open or closed, I checked the wiring diagrams for 1972 its section D59, it says Mercury switch, is the mercury switch built in to the fixture? do they go bad? could I have the wrong bulb in the fixture?

Thanks

trunk light.jpg

In my 1992 F-150 there is a switch built into the light socket. I think that is what they are refering to. The light on my pickup always has 12V all the time as well, but the switch in the socket is supposed to use gravity to recognize when the hood is open. It works fine but sometimes the light will flicker under the hood on rough roads.

The ball of mercury moves back and forth in the light socket/switch assembly, covering or uncovering the contact inside. The position and angle is critical, so the contact is uncoverd when the trunk is closed, and makes contact when open. You can easily find the correct angle with a volt/ohm meter.

Yup, the mercury switch is in the bulb socket. To test it, disconnect the bulb socket assembly from the bracket, but keep the ground wire connected. If no ground wire, use a jumper cable to connect the bracket to the car's chassis. Now rotate the bulb around in various angles: ten to one you'll find the bulb will go on and off depending upon the angle of the dangle of the socket assembly.

I got it working, first I had the wrong bulb in the fixture the correct one is #631

second it was an angle thing, with the trunk fully closed its off.I took the back seat out to verify it.

Great, now I can see whats in the trunk at night :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it working, first I had the wrong bulb in the fixture the correct one is #631

second it was an angle thing, with the trunk fully closed its off.I took the back seat out to verify it.

Great, now I can see whats in the trunk at night :)
Mine you could see the ground...lol...really need to get that trunk pan installed...:whistling:

This thread dates back to 2012, but it was the best i could find relating to the trunk light. There are two types of lights i can find for sale, but not sure which one is correct and fits the mounting area in the trunk lid. below is a photograph of the two lights and the what appears to be where the light sits in the trunk. Which light is correct for a 73 vert and is this actually the mounting point in the lid?

thanks,

Back