Dash front edge trim from 71 Mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH1 m code

Hello my good friends and references,

We are restoring our Mach and have bought a new dash pad.

The old one has the pad and at the front edge there is a piece of plastic that long ago rotted to near oblivion. We haven't tried to fit our new pad yet but I'm concerned about the plastic piece that seems to dress up or cover the leading edge of the dash.

What has everyone done about this?

if this isn't clear i'll get pics.

Jenny

Jenny,

My plastic edge also was brittle and cracking when I replaced my Dash Pad, the replacement dash pad looked better without putting the old cracked plastic edge on it, so my new pad doesn't have a plastic edge on it. I was unable to find a reproduction replacement plastic edge.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim and Jutta,

we have been kinda figuring this but thought with all the high quality cars, someone must have had an answer

Jenny and Roshell
I hear you, I couldn't find any reproductions but did find an original one on eBay, arrived in a shipping tube just as described but when I attempted to put it on it was so brittle a big piece on top splintered...40 years on the dash exposed to sun will do that to a piece of plastic. If there are good reproductions out there I would be interested because it is noticable to those of us that know it's supposed to be there. It also makes for a more even proffesional looking seam where the dash pad meets the dash panel.

Jim

is this the plastic filler piece for the passenger side on a standard interior car?

I'm actually not sure, but refitting the trim on mine and it just looks like there should be something to seal the gap between the trim above the glove box and dash pad.

If someone could post a picture of that area (as above) that would be helpful.

Thanks

Actually the part Jenny is looking for (so am I) is a long piece of black plastic that fits over the front edge of the Dash pad (windshield side) that gives it a finishing touch. I believe it was Don from OMS that said it only came on early 71's (?) Here's a pic of my old one, as you can see it was so brittle upon removing it to replace the dash pad it just cracked and chipped. It really did give it a finishing touch that's noticeable now that I don't have one. Still looking.

Jim

trim.jpg

Jim and Jutta have the part. Makes sense was only on early 71s as we both have early 71s. I have never found anything to replace it but the dashes direct pad looks good. My car won't be ready for april in LV but we'll go without it. Right now we are building a good garage with insulation and heat so we can work on the car.

What they are looking for is a black plastic strip that ran across the front of the padded dash (windshield side) that was used as a trim piece between the metal and the pad. My 71 (Built 9/70) had one but 40 + years plus plenty of southern heat has disintegrated it into a powder. Have not seen this piece offered anywhere. My Pewter 71 (built 8/71) did not have this part on it and looked ok without it. The short Plastic piece does go above the glove box lid and acts as a filler below the padded dash.

Back