Either way, hope you get it sorted out ASAP. I know if it were a standard AOD, it quite possibly would've fried by now (again, based on the things I've read).

Good luck! You've made it this far... ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took about 1/8 inch of slack out of the cable, and now it operates perfectly!!!!!!

Nice tyo be able to chirp the tires with teh wide ratio's agressive first gear... :)

Good deal!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Sooo glad to hear ya got it tuned, and running well.

OD Trans & lower gears, Cruisin & Blasting.

Ought to be bout broke in by time we meet up @ "Hot August Nights"

Miss May, 65 2+2 EFI 331 4R70W 3.55 trac-loc Not much origional remaining

Robert's 73 Vert 308 4R70W 3.25 trac-loc. EFI conversion & 8.8 Trac-Loc 3.31 started.

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it yet.

He he.... took it out again... grinning ear to ear. I can't wait to put the 3.89 rear end into her. :)

Current rear is a 2.75?

So do a test for me. Get it to 70mph and in 4th gear. Then without it downshifting accelerate as fast as you can to 80-85. What I'm looking for is the RPM at 70mph and how well your engine does pulling from that RPM to the higher rpms needed at 80mph. Wondering if it feels like a dog to go from 70 to whatever faster speed.

Repeat the test with the 3.89 gears later and compare.

spacer.png

I'm not 100% sure about the current rear end. Marti report indicates it was built with 2.75, but RPMs at 70 suggest it may be 3.25... I'm right at 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH with 26.4" tires.

I will do your test as soon as I can get it out on the right roadway.

I'm not 100% sure about the current rear end. Marti report indicates it was built with 2.75, but RPMs at 70 suggest it may be 3.25... I'm right at 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH with 26.4" tires.

I will do your test as soon as I can get it out on the right roadway.

Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me now as I remember the thread about your rear gears. I was/am very much convinced that your rear is a 3.25. As such the test I proposed is even more relevant. The 3.25 to 3.89 gear range is optimal for the wide ratio AOD. This test will help to hone in on the performance characteristics of the 351 pulling power on the interstate with both of the end points of rear gear selection. Exciting times! We should switch bach over to your thread with this discussion to keep the test results and rear discussion in a central location.

spacer.png

Do you suffer from insomnia too?

I can't sleep 2-3 days a week

Sometimes. Having an iPad doesn't help because it is so easy to log on then burn a couple of hours devising tests to figure out optimal gear ratios. Lol

spacer.png

All,

One way to check TV pressure is via a TV pressure gauge. Here is the pressure port. With this setup, you can dial in the TV cable.

Also, you can purchase a nice looking gauge to monitor the AOD transmission pressure. I currently have this setup and will transition to gauge inside.

14xhqwj.jpg

TRANSMISSION TOOLS OIL PRESSURE GAUGE 0-100 TV AOD

http://compare.ebay.com/like/110437085143?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

$38.00

Transmission Pressure Gauges

Egauges

http://www.egauges.com

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

All,

One way to check TV pressure is via a TV pressure gauge. Here is the pressure port. With this setup, you can dial in the TV cable.

Also, you can purchase a nice looking gauge to monitor the AOD transmission pressure. I currently have this setup and will transition to gauge inside.

14xhqwj.jpg

TRANSMISSION TOOLS OIL PRESSURE GAUGE 0-100 TV AOD

http://compare.ebay.com/like/110437085143?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

$38.00

Transmission Pressure Gauges

Egauges

http://www.egauges.com

mustang7173

Even though the image and ebay link are blocked for me here at work, I am SO all over this! Thanks for sharing! ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Eric,

If I could do it over, it would be the electronic way with the harness from Bauman.

David

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

I found this link about using Mustang shifter for an AOD. Thought it might help if someone is trying to keep it all looking as stock as possible.

1965-73 Mustang AOD Shift Linkage Kit to use original shifter.

http://www.mustangcentralga.com/aod-shift-linkage.html

Neat site - be sure and check out Brian (bkdunha)'s 72 Mach 1 resto work as well as installing a 5.0 Coyote motor in a 71/2 vert! Some cool projects listed - 429 SCJ, 429 CJ and Shelby cars.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Hello Boss1Ray,

Yep- That is the one I installed during my rebuild. Works well with the stock shifter.

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸