1973 fastback fuse panel & wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Hello folks, I am about half way through a restoration on a 73 fastback and have a question. I bought this car a year and half ago as a rolling chassis and finally got around to hooking a battery up to it. The car still has no engine or trans in it but I was curious to see what worked when it has a battery hooked up to it. All fuses are good and the battery has a good ground. Headlights and taillights work, an interior light by the ac controls and the lighter work, when I wiggle the fuse panel I can get the horn to work, everything else like turn signals, dash lights,winshield wipers, front running lights etc are dead, thoughts? thanks in advance. p.s. all bulbs are new.

Last edited by a moderator:
The items you describe that work appear to be fused or directly wired to the battery. The items you describe that don't work require conversion of the battery power to Accessory Power by the ignition switch. Do you have an ignition switch installed and do you have the key turned to ACC or RUN?

With the battery disconnected, try loosening the small 3/8 (I think) bolt that mates the fuse block to the harness, unplug the box and reconnect it and tighten the bolt/screw, reconnect the battery and see if anything changes. I'm assuming all the harness's are connected and grounds are in place. Chuck

Thanks for the replies, I will go out tonight and check everything out that you all recommended and post back later. I think I will clean all of the fuse contact points and change all of the fuses out. I believe this car has sat for many years so it will need alot of TLC to bring it back to its former glory ;-} midlife, nice avatar, ignition switch is hooked up and getting power (verified with digital multimeter), all harness connectors appear to be hooked up. c97x, that sounds like great advice I will try that tonight. Thanks again everyone.

Steve no highbeam light, not sure about dome light currently the car does not have one, will hit the lead wires for it later to verify if voltage is present or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I went out and cleaned up all contact points on the fuse box, changed out all fuses, unbolted the fusebox and blew everything off and put it back together. Currently I have all exterior lights, the windshield wipers and washer motor work. Nothing else works at this time, also no instrument lights either. I noticed a heavy guage black wire that comes through the drivers side firewall that is not hooked up to aything. It is a couple of feet long and looks like some sort of ground wire. Thoughts?

Back