CONSOLE REPAIR PROGRESS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Ok a few pics as I'm going along on the console..Here you can see how I built up the missing plastic around the screw holes with some cut up glass mat & super glue..It's important to to this in any place where a screw may go since if I just used bondo alone.. it would crack right out when the console was screwed down..Now I'm ready for my polyester filler.

100_3842.JPG100_3843.JPG100_3844.JPG

Do you put the grain in it?
OK...I just put the grain back in on the spots I repaired..So the million dollar question ..How did I do it ? Simple..I used my small hand held spot sand blaster with very coarse media..I set the blaster to low pressure & then started in the center of my repair feathering blending out. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY LIGHT HANDED OTHERWISE YOU WILL REMOVE TO MUCH MATERIAL..A easier method for newbies is to spray a wet coat of primer then while wet dab with a piece of closed cell foam or sponge to match the texture.

So here's a quick recap..Wash scrub part with dawn...Then wash scrub with simple green purple..Use fiberglass mat with loctite pro super glue for your repairs of any cracks (see my video) ..Use polyester glazing putty for any body work..start with 80 grit..then 180...I then primed with Sherwin Williams self etch spray bomb primer...Put the grain back..then LIGHTLY SPOT PRIME 1 COAT over the grained areas..Next I'm going to clean wash with comet & a sponge (as per my video on how to vinyl dye your parts). More to come:)

100_3854.JPG100_3855.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back