What Carb w/ Stock Manifold?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GET-R-DUNN

Reaction score
My Car
1973 vert.351cj Q code factory Hurst 4 speed all numbers matching!
Hi,well I'm sure some one has asked this question B-for! But I'm sick of tryin to get my 4300D carb to Work,I'm DONE..I have a 73 351cj Q code stock Mustang Vert,and I tried to keep it that way but I'm tired of taking the car to a show and have people say wow nice car an it won't start to get it home!!!!! My question is can I put a holley on the stock manifold? if so which one? an what spacers R needed? and which[/b] manifold should I use? I've been reading so many different storys I got a head full of all kind of numbers!if ya been through this PLEASE tell me how ya fixed it! I just want to be able to go for a ride an get back home with out being embarrassed because it won't start to get home....Thank's (now I know why the PO wanted to sell it)

How do you know it is the carburetor?

How do you eventually get the car started?

You didn't have Q rebuild the carb for you did you?

════════════════════════════════════════════

Some 4300 facts/figures courtesy of Dan Jones:

Ford replaced the Autolite 4100 with the Motorcraft 4300 and a spreadbore

version, the 4300D. Most 4V Clevelands were fitted with one of the Motorcraft

units. Both the 4300 and 4300D use air valve secondaries with fixed jets and

power valve enrichment. The 4300D has the standard Holley/Autolite bolt

pattern which is unusual for a spreadbore and means they will not directly

mount up to most spreadbore manifolds, other than factory Ford intakes. The

only aftermarket intake manifolds that I'm aware of that will directly mount a

spreadbore 4300D are the Holley Street Dominators and Strip Dominators. Those

intakes have a trapezoidal plenum opening that clears the large secondary

butterflies. However, other intakes can be made to work using an adapter

spacer.

Model CFM Venturi Diameter Bore Diameter

primary secondary primary secondary

4300 441 1 ?? 1 7/16 1 9/16 67-68 302 J-Code

4300 470 1 ?? 1 7/16 1 9/16 69 351W

4300 595 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 1 11/16 69 390 S-Code

4300 600 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 1 11/16 70 351W, 351C

4300 605 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 1 11/16 71 351C

4300D 715 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 2 71 Boss 351C, 72-74 351C

4300's have a reputation of developing leaks at the front of the carburetor

between the lid or air horn, and the main body. If you plan on modifying your

engine, remember the selection of power valves is very limited so it will be

difficult to tune properly. Also, there are no books on the market for

modifying or performance tuning the Motorcraft carbs. Your best source of

information is a Ford factory repair manual. Jack DeRyke thinks they are an

instrument of the Devil :)

Do you intend to maintain the factory intake? Is the car otherwise stock?

a Holley 4150 750CFM vacuum secondary would be a good choice, but sealing to the stock intake might be a problem. Of course all you need to do is pull your carb and try a few square bore gaskets against the opening before you buy a new carb.

How do you know it is the carburetor?

How do you eventually get the car started?

════════════════════════════════════════════

Some 4300 facts/figures courtesy of Dan Jones:

Ford replaced the Autolite 4100 with the Motorcraft 4300 and a spreadbore

version, the 4300D. Most 4V Clevelands were fitted with one of the Motorcraft

units. Both the 4300 and 4300D use air valve secondaries with fixed jets and

power valve enrichment. The 4300D has the standard Holley/Autolite bolt

pattern which is unusual for a spreadbore and means they will not directly

mount up to most spreadbore manifolds, other than factory Ford intakes. The

only aftermarket intake manifolds that I'm aware of that will directly mount a

spreadbore 4300D are the Holley Street Dominators and Strip Dominators. Those

intakes have a trapezoidal plenum opening that clears the large secondary

butterflies. However, other intakes can be made to work using an adapter

spacer.

Model CFM Venturi Diameter Bore Diameter

primary secondary primary secondary

4300 441 1 ?? 1 7/16 1 9/16 67-68 302 J-Code

4300 470 1 ?? 1 7/16 1 9/16 69 351W

4300 595 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 1 11/16 69 390 S-Code

4300 600 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 1 11/16 70 351W, 351C

4300 605 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 1 11/16 71 351C

4300D 715 1 1/4 ?? 1 9/16 2 71 Boss 351C, 72-74 351C

4300's have a reputation of developing leaks at the front of the carburetor

between the lid or air horn, and the main body. If you plan on modifying your

engine, remember the selection of power valves is very limited so it will be

difficult to tune properly. Also, there are no books on the market for

modifying or performance tuning the Motorcraft carbs. Your best source of

information is a Ford factory repair manual. Jack DeRyke thinks they are an

instrument of the Devil :)
After I get it towed home an put batt charger on it some times it starts right up sometimes if ya hold pedal to floor it tries to start but pisses gas out the butter fly linkage,some times U have 2 wack it with a hammer some times it runs great it just won't start.I had the carb apart so many times I had to retap some of the holes!I just want to be able to drive the car I don't want 2 spend any more money on towing or people saying they can fix it and can't.....

Hi,well I'm sure some one has asked this question B-for! But I'm sick of tryin to get my 4300D carb to Work,I'm DONE..I have a 73 351cj Q code stock Mustang Vert,and I tried to keep it that way but I'm tired of taking the car to a show and have people say wow nice car an it won't start to get it home!!!!! My question is can I put a holley on the stock manifold? if so which one? an what spacers R needed? and which[/b] manifold should I use? I've been reading so many different storys I got a head full of all kind of numbers!if ya been through this PLEASE tell me how ya fixed it! I just want to be able to go for a ride an get back home with out being embarrassed because it won't start to get home....Thank's (now I know why the PO wanted to sell it)
You can with alot of odd spacers and some puddy to fill in the egr plate....I tried to get a edelbrock carb to mate up with my stock manifold...I ran into a big issues!! the 4300D is much wider than any replacement carb out there....So even the mate plates cover part of the original holes and cutts off part of the big barrels in the back...Too me it looked like it was going to cause some serious turbulence issues getting fuel into my intake...That spread bore intake will not like any carb you mate too it besides the 4300D im afraid...You can get other carbs to work on it im sure...But not to total preformance...And i could see you loosing power in tring to do so.."reason why i didnt" I ended up buying a edelbrock manifold..4v cleveland style that will accept holley and edelbrock cabrs with out messing with the flow of them....If you want to look stock..I would just get the 200 dollar manifold from jegs.. then paint it blue.

btw the 4300d is a great carb...Powerfull when you get on it..and good fuel mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:

a Holley 4150 750CFM vacuum secondary would be a good choice, but sealing to the stock intake might be a problem. Of course all you need to do is pull your carb and try a few square bore gaskets against the opening before you buy a new carb.
The car is stock w/ hurst 4 speed,if I can keep the stock manifold I will but if I can't get a carb to work on it I will replace it! what about the egr spacer do I keep it or lose it? all the money I'v spent so far I could of bought a whole new motor!

The car is stock w/ hurst 4 speed,if I can keep the stock manifold I will but if I can't get a carb to work on it I will replace it! what about the egr spacer do I keep it or lose it? all the money I'v spent so far I could of bought a whole new motor!
I been threw just what you have few years ago..i had a 4300d carb...Trust me on this one...Mating up a replacement carb will be a nightmare and you will notice right away that the adaptor plate will cutt off part of the back barrels on your stock manifold...You would save alot of heart ache and time by just getting edelbrock's 4v cleveland manifold."think i paid 180$ for it"..You wont need any plate...i got rid of my EGR plate...Not needed with new manifold...Mine had all stock top end like yours...I put my carb and manifold in a box...And dont throw it away!! Them 4300d's are worth alot of cash.

Also, which stock manifold do you have?

Do you have a picture without the carb?

What is the spacing of the bolt pattern?

Is the manifold iron or aluminum?

Not that I will have an answer, just trying to get some facts to eliminate possibilities. Personally, I see no reason to change out the manifold, especially if you happen to have the 1971 Ford 351 Boss over the counter aluminum intake.

Not me W...If I did rebuild it.. rest assured it would work FLAWLESS:cool:
Isn't that what I implied???:D

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2665/10002/-1 They moved the price up a bit sence i got it years ago...But that manifold will fit any standerd replacement carb you want to put on top with out much of a hassle at all...I was in the same boat as you...I spent alot of cash tring to make a new carb work on my old manifold....I realised what a waste of money i did in spacers and such to try and make it work...So what im saying is...Either rebuild that 4300D or replace the manifold and get a carb "holley or edel" To go on top...It will drive you mad messing with that old manifold...I about pulled my hair out over it years ago...lol

And i notice they put on it....Performer 351-4V intake manifold is designed for street 351C and BOSS 351 Fords that came stock with 4V carb and heads. Will not fit Boss 302 or accept stock Motorcraft spread-bore carb. .<~~~ So reverse engineer that statment...your speadbore manifold will not work with replacement carbs...Just tring to save you a bit of heart ache and hell ;)

Oh, I see, you read what I typed as:

You didn't have Q build it for you, did you,

when you should have read it:

YOU didn't have Q build it for you, did you.

I think you should send the carb to Q, he can rebuild it, send it to me, and then I will test it out on my new 351C Boss spec'd motor. I have an NOS Ford OTC Aluminum manifold...I would be curious how well it works together.

If you want to maintain a semblance of originality find a 70 M code intake. It has a standard square bore carb pad. Otherwise the Edelbrock performer is your best bet.

351cj intake.jpg

Not that I will have an answer, just trying to get some facts to eliminate possibilities. Personally, I see no reason to change out the manifold, especially if you happen to have the 1971 Ford 351 Boss over the counter aluminum intake.

Hi,it's a stock manifold,every thing is all stock.the carb has been rebuilt. I bought the car knowing it had a carb problem but I thought it was a choke problem!

I have a used Weiand 7517 That I'll let you have for $75 + shipping. Then get a Holley!
Hi,yeah I would be interested but my motor is stock don't I need a dual plane manifold?

Hi,it's a stock manifold,every thing is all stock.the carb has been rebuilt. I bought the car knowing it had a carb problem but I thought it was a choke problem!

I have a used Weiand 7517 That I'll let you have for $75 + shipping. Then get a Holley!
Hi,yeah I would be interested but my motor is stock don't I need a dual plane manifold?
Yes, if you have plans on keeping it stock. This intake is better for 9:1 comp and 1500-7000 RPM. If you plan to upgrade your motor (headers,ect.) it's a good start.

Yes, if you have plans on keeping it stock. This intake is better for 9:1 comp and 1500-7000 RPM. If you plan to upgrade your motor (headers,ect.) it's a good start.
Yeah I plan on headers soon slight leak think it's dounut gasket! May I ask why your not using it? Not sure how you want to ship it,but find out what it's going to be? an let me know! You can e-mail me if ya want, [email protected] and I guess if ya know any body who would be interested in this intake & carb make me an offer I can't refuse! Thank's Rick:

Thanks every one for your help! I'm going to just get a new intake & carb! Thanks Again Rick:
{thumbs up} Thats what i had to do...I tried playing the adaptor plate game...I got one to kinda work....And im sure it would of ran..But i dout all that well...the spread bore is too spread and puts metal right in the way of the flow of smaller carbs...It was just made for one carb only.

Latest posts

Back