Would you keep the original color of your car even if you dont like it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I wonder how many of you when its time to repaint the Mustang changed the color because you did not like the original color that the car came with?

On the other hand maybe your car was not painted the original color and when time to paint it again...you got it painted in the original color that came from factory.

Although I do not like red..I will paint it red to keep the car original

1. If you buy a car that is ORIGINAL PAINT, then I believe you have an obligation to keep it the original color.

2. If you buy a car that was painted, but not to the original color, then paint it whatever you want.

3. I personally violated rule #1 with my 1970 XR7, because when I bought it, it was that gold metal flake color.

I say it depends on your goals. Mine is going to be a daily driver - so I'll paint it whatever color I want. If it were an investment car, then yeah - original paint for sure.

However, I actually like the original color of mine (Light Pewter) and that's what color it's going to be painted. If it were Areola Pink, Avocado, Grabber Puke, or something otherwise unpalatable (to me), then I would definitely change it to something I did like. I wouldn't buy an investment car in a color I didn't like with the intention of keeping it stock - no sense starting out hating the color if you never intend to change it.

I think it matters on what you want...if you plan to car show it...Keeping the original color will give you extra points when the judges look at the codes....I my self like red and was happy to find out it was the original color to my car...Its very desirable color when it comes to stangs..Flashy..Fast color...Pull over red..lol...Its harder too repaint a car to diffrent colors.....Cause they have to repaint all the door jams and such..if you keep the original color it cost less to get repainted....but then..It counts what you enjoy about it...And if you care about such things....if not....And money no issue....Paint it what ever color makes you happy:)

I lean towards keeping it the original color! In your case Red is known as Re-Sale Red in the auction community as it seems to be the most sought after color. But if your not restoring to original I would consider changing the color to something I like better.

I debated about changing my Wimbledon White to a brighter Oxford or Performance white, but in the end I kept the original Wimbledon White, but I did add clear coat.

If you are trying to keep one all original then paint it back like it came from factory assuming

1..it is a desireable color

2..it is a well optioned car like big block, 4 speed...etc.

and 3rd...if you want it like that, then it will need an enamel job without all the color sanding to make it worth more money. But as for me I only live once and I want to enjoy my car so it will be the way I want it regardless of options or rarety.

my OEM color was some kind of red and i painted it a very dark red with gold stripes and hood. its very different. i have a 73 mach 1 and i painted it like my dads 71 boss 351.

i myself didn't paint the correct color scheme to my year, not did i at least use the right second tone of color.

but then again, that makes my car unique. i mean, who else has a red/gold car on this site? hell, how about in the whole world?

Yes and No, my 66 mustang is a factory Antique Bronze car, which I'm going to paint, canary yellow, and I shopped around, waited to find and buy my 71 and 72 machs in the colours I wanted, the 71 is grabber yellow, and black and my 72 is medium blue with argent.

My Mach I is suppose to be red. the 71 red was just not something I wanted and the Vermillion interior. It was repainted black and silver...I liked it, stuck with it. I do have an all original car too. I'm still on the fence because i like things original but what few pictures I could find...just didnt strike me well.

The 67 Convertible ... it is Diamond Blue. Only 35 like mine were produced for 67. I have to keep it that color. the only things not original are the carb and dual exhaust.

when I first bought my car 10+ yrs ago, I had diffrent plans for it, but as I was redoing the car, and found out that it was all original, I had a change of heart, and desided to keep it all original even the color "3B" Light Blue.. I figured thats how it was born, thats how she'll stay., and I've gotten used to it over the years, and the color is loved at the car shows, its diffrent.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I look at it is the bloke who put the first paint on in the factory probably didn't give two hoots what colour he was painting the cars, so if he didn't care about colour originality then why should I care either??

Like the others said, if it still has the original paint, I'd keep it original. If it's been repainted another color, make it what you like(unless you have it sanded to metal, then original).

The general consensus here and on most other sites is that if the car is something special, like a rare options Mach1 or a Boss 351 or a fully loaded 429 etc etc, you wanna keep it original.

This being said, mine is not orignal and I would not want it to have the original paint because it was Medium Brown Metallic and I think that that particular color looks way better in yellow! ;-)

When I got mine it had already been repainted red by some previous owner but I wanted it to look different after all the money I spent, so I chose that yellow.

It´s Corvette yellow by the way.

Back