Would you keep the original color of your car even if you dont like it?

classicsguy

You could even take this step further and ask, "would you change anything?". I say, do whatever makes you happy. That's really why I have no aspirations in getting that is too sought after. ie- big block, 4-speed with all the options. Though I would love to have one, or a GT-500. But with mine, I won't feel as if I de-valued my Mach-1 if I add 4-wheel disk brakes, better handling suspension, fuel injected 520 stroker and a 6-speed magnum transmission. Of course it's just my opinion.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question because I'm struggling with this decision myself about 2 of my cars. I don't have the answer because they are both well optioned cars and I tend to like mostly original cars with period correct mods and added options - at least for the more major type items. I do like a nice modern radio head unit in whatever car I drive though. Paint & interior are the two biggest "major items" for me because they are the hardest to change back and the Marti report tells the true story from the factory.

There is a super nice 429 Mach 1 on eBay right now that is has been painstakingly restored to match the obscure factory paint markings in the various areas. It looks fantastic and I love the Black/ardent & white sports interior. HOWEVER, even though the car is perfect in every way, the Marti report says the car was Bright Red with the white sports interior. I'm really scratching my head as to why they would put that much effort into the car that they are selling and not paint it the correct color???

Per the eBay ad:

"PER MARTI A 1 OF 1 4 SPEED/AIR FROM THE FACTORY DEMO CAR.

CAR WAS ORIGINALLY A DEALER DEMO FOR MILLER FORD IN CALIFORNIA.  MR. MILLER'S PERSONAL DEMO CAR HE ORDERED FROM THE FACTORY WITH 4 SPEED AND AIR.  ACCORDING TO HIM, HE HAD TO BARGIN WITH THE FACTORY TO BUILD A 429CJ 4 SPEED WITH AIR BECAUSE AT THAT TIME "FORD WOULD NOT BUILD AN AC EQUIPPED BIG BLOCK CAR".  

THIS IS PERHAPS THE MOST ORIGINAL CAR I'VE EVER DONE A RESTORATION ON."

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcTLWBP7HGJ(Zlw~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJBwE+J4F45pBBP7HJGfh9!~~60_3.JPG

spacer.png

There is a super nice 429 Mach 1 on eBay right now that is has been painstakingly restored to match the obscure factory paint markings in the various areas. It looks fantastic and I love the Black/ardent & white sports interior. HOWEVER, even though the car is perfect in every way, the Marti report says the car was Bright Red with the white sports interior. I'm really scratching my head as to why they would put that much effort into the car that they are selling and not paint it the correct color???

I agree totaly...Why go threw soooo much for non original paint?,,,You mite as well have a Chip Foose style paint job by that point...Cause its just for you then...It will not make the car worth anymore....And of cource it is there car to do what they want...But why go all original but not just the paint. then sell it? What a poor choice in my book...But thats how i feel about it..lol

I agree totaly...Why go threw soooo much for non original paint?,,,You mite as well have a Chip Foose style paint job by that point...Cause its just for you then...It will not make the car worth anymore....And of cource it is there car to do what they want...But why go all original but not just the paint. then sell it? What a poor choice in my book...But thats how i feel about it..lol

+1 I feel the cost of a repaint of this caliber of car should be concerted in the the selling price. To get the money for the car it needs to be correct.

- Mike

• 1 month later...

Usually with my car I like to keep it the color it came with. With this 73 we have its going back yellow cause I wanted it to stay that way and my dad likes yellow 71s (its getting 71 stripes). But I will change it if im doing a similar color that isnt factory to the car (like my 2A GT which I think is getting a new Ford red color) or if I wanted say a Brown 85 GT (Clove brown was available on the LXs but not the GTs).

O but to add i'll say that if its your car do what you what with it.

Have it the way you want it mate, its your car, to be honest I think the colours they came out of the factory were pretty grim to say the least, new mustangs have better colours because they are available, mine was that shitty yellow colour when new, then someone painted it black which looks way cooler, Im getting it painted next year and Im going to keep it black but maybe a nice metalic and I might put the shelby stripe over the roof, theres no rules , just what looks best in your head. dont be a sheep, be creative.........

If you want to keep the car and you just can't stand the color combination, then pick an originally available color combination and go for it. While the value of 71-73 is coming up they are not $100K + cars. Would I do a color change on a 67 Shelby GT-500 or a BOSS 429...... no. Just my opinion. Chuck

Nope, the car below used to be green, then blue, now obviously red.

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp

interesting topic! my second horse was primed gray, and i don't think I inquired to the original color, but went red, like my first horse. my third horse was maroon, but really purple and it was awesome with the black vinyl top. Now I have a Wimbeldon white on my 71 , and while i've seen nice white 'stangs, they usually aren't of the Wimbeldon quality. I was contemplating grabber yellow with the black vinyl top and black mid hood section..but..it seems yellow is too popular.

I'm thinking of grabber orange eventhough it wasn't a 71 color. I want the attention that yellow or orange will bring. I want to turn people's heads. I's not going to be show quality anyway. As for changing other things, i'm changing the interior from ugly ginger to black, which is much sleeker.

I'm thinking of grabber orange even though it wasn't a 71 color. I want the attention that yellow or orange will bring. I want to turn people's heads. I's not going to be show quality anyway. As for changing other things, i'm changing the interior from ugly ginger to black, which is much sleeker.

The HOK candy Tangerine Orange is attention getting.

8427060005_large.jpg

The HOK Tangelo Pearl is also nice.

3934520095_large.jpg

willys-hendrick-1a-560x398.jpg

My personal favorite orange...

Victory motorcycle color nuclear sunset.

OM0Z9406.jpg

spacer.png

My opinion is (its all about getting looks and smiles) i do know if i park next to really nice car of the same stature thats painted in boring colors, pretty obvious which one will get the attention:)

DSCF2398.thumb.JPG.9c4b0d18e4d059f0198952b25d569b61.JPGDSCF2400.thumb.JPG.35c0e47c18445141eca751aece80a8ca.JPGDSCF2407.thumb.JPG.655bc37d37db7a21924fea66565361e7.JPGDSCF2405.thumb.JPG.7d4cdf5d57dbfd53d9e69405423d59b2.JPG

It might be lonely at the Top...But it's a Bitch at the Bottom

::beer::

I probably would keep it the original color. They look good almost any color. My original Mach I was that 73 green and I actually liked it. But come to think of it, before it got totalled I was going to paint it silver.

I passed up on a dark green one, it had a cleveland and a 4 speed, because it didn't have AC and it had a green interior. I just don't like the green interior.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I did and I don't. lol My car has always been bright red and even though it not completely stock, I painted it red again. I prefer black or medium blue. I have a plan for how I want the car to turn out this time and felt that the original color was best suited for that. I think people that own these cars should do what they want to do with their cars and was it done is done. Maybe when I pass the car down to my son some day, he might want it another color:-)

faood3.png

the only color that would make me want to repaint would be the maroon brown they had in 71-73, but otherwise I actually like the gold my car is (and was originally)

My opinion is (its all about getting looks and smiles) i do know if i park next to really nice car of the same stature thats painted in boring colors, pretty obvious which one will get the attention:)

Yep my car is bright gold and it definitely stands out in parking lots and at car shows w/ all your average blue,red,black,etc.

And the funny thing was I was actually just gonna say a dark highlandish green might look nice. Though I have to admit I'm not sure about all the bright yellow stripes on yours...but that's just me

Although having said that I had an 2000 V6 a few years ago that was electric green and I added the gold side stripes and it looked really nice. It stood out a bit, but it wasn't over the top desperate for attention,lol

simpsons04.jpg

And I have to say I really miss that car cause I still love the color

91LX_Sig.jpg

• 6 years later...

I graduated from High School in '73, and remember walking home from school past a house that had a new model ( 71-73 ) convert sitting in the driveway. It was Medium yellow-Gold, and I thought it was the crappiest looking color back then...…………..fast forward to today and I own a '71 Mach 1 in Medium Yellow-Gold and I like it. I guess one's tastes change with maturity , as I've kept it stock mechanically and color-wise. If I were going to build it, hop it up, I'm sure I'd be apt to looking at some cool custom colors, along with custom rims/tires, pinstriping, you know, all that stuff. Back in the late 70s and 80s guys were cutting holes in their ram-air hoods for blowers and tunnel-rams, and the boulevard was full of modified muscle cars. Few were the original color.

When I came across my 71 J Code vert and saw the colour... I was less then impressed to say the least. However, this car is the embodiment of the sentiments for keeping certain car’s their original colour, regardless of preference. Even my painter asked me one last time if I wanted to change the colour... I told him I am paying you big bucks, paint it as if it is a stunning black B9... and he did. When the car was completed and you take a step back to really view the originality aspect, you can get a sense of why someone ordered the colour combination back in 1970... I guess, you would have to see the car in person and make your own judgement. Bottom line: A car completed to this level of restoration has to be kept its original colour, from both a history and value perspective or why bother...

353818134_1971429cjconvertible2.thumb.jpg.61ec9dc853a5b698d0effb3482ebaa03.jpg

860376564_71VertFinishedPics17.jpg.0e9ddf5428d128c0e17fa0ac3e19eb42.jpg

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

I graduated from High School in '73, and remember walking home from school past a house that had a new model ( 71-73 ) convert sitting in the driveway. It was Medium yellow-Gold, and I thought it was the crappiest looking color back then...…………..fast forward to today and I own a '71 Mach 1 in Medium Yellow-Gold and I like it.  I guess one's tastes change with maturity , as I've kept it stock mechanically and color-wise. If I were going to build it, hop it up, I'm sure I'd be apt to looking at some cool custom colors, along with custom rims/tires, pinstriping, you know, all that stuff. Back in the late 70s and 80s guys were cutting holes in their ram-air hoods for blowers and tunnel-rams, and the boulevard was full of modified muscle cars. Few were the original color.

Back in 1975 I saw a 1973 convertible in Medium Yellow Gold (6C Medium Goldenrod) and loved how it looked with the black roof and white and black interior. Needless to say, I bought it. Regrettably sold the car in 1985 when my first daughter was born. I did not know back then how rare that color combination was back then, only 23 verts with white interior were made.

1973-Mustang-The-First-one-Circa-October-1975.jpg

Well put 7173Vert! Unlike when I bought my yellow gold vert above back in 1975, it was not the case when I bought my 5M - medium copper metallic 73 vert many years later. I bought the car in 1995 and did not restore it until 2016. I struggled with changing its color as I planned the restoration over the 20 years the car sat. I finally, decided to stay with the original color and I am glad I did. My painter was not happy with me staying with the color, but it grew on him when it was done. Seeing the car in totality, I love the combination as a complete package and better appreciate the original owner's vision when they ordered it.

x-DSC-0279x.jpg

Rich

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

I purchased a 73 with Medium Yellow as the original color.  I like yellow cars so I decided to keep it yellow, just not the same medium yellow as it looked like too light. More like a yellow wanna be so the new color is like the Grabber Yellow.

Yellow-hood.jpg

1.jpg

[You can tell by how much dust got into the finish]

@pegleg, that's DIY metallic :)

My 71 was themed black/gold Hertz at some point with a massive airbrush artwork on the hood. I liked it in the 80's.

I'll bring it back to green/silver as in VIN and will try bring some balance to the whole. Same as @slowpoke17, giving a own twist, it will not be THE Ivy green that is having bits too much yellow in its composition for my taste. Just like my 73, I took time to pick/test spray variations of colours for my black/greys and greens. I have now serials and I can let each of the colours be composed in every shop, in uni or metallic on demand.

While the paint combo on itself will be near and in respect of what the original was, it's in the deco/stripes that I hope to be different from the classic but over used mach 1 theme.

It's all about personal taste, but If there is one part I think nobody should try to keep near the original color is the dashboard metal. A least for ginger and avocado interiors as in my cars. Man the paint they've used were ugly. Especially the avocado one, some weird old looking army colour, like if avocado could not have been something fresh to look at...

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

When I got my 73 Grande back in 1978, it was Wimbledon white with the black vinyl top. Within a year I had it repainted it to the brightest brilliant white I could find, and it really popped with the black top and chrome mags. I like the dark green metallic on my vert I have now, but if I needed to repeat it, I would think long and hard about tweaking the green. I just can't stop tinkering...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[You can tell by how much dust got into the finish]

@pegleg, that's DIY metallic :)

My 71 was themed black/gold Hertz at some point with a massive airbrush artwork on the hood. I liked it in the 80's.

I'll bring it back to green/silver as in VIN and will try bring some balance to the whole. Same as @slowpoke17, giving a own twist, it will not be THE Ivy green that is having bits too much yellow in its composition for my taste. Just like my 73, I took time to pick/test spray variations of colours for my black/greys and greens. I have now serials and I can let each of the colours be composed in every shop, in uni or metallic on demand.

While the paint combo on itself will be near and in respect of what the original was, it's in the deco/stripes that I hope to be different from the classic but over used mach 1 theme.

It's all about personal taste, but If there is one part I think nobody should try to keep near the original color is the dashboard metal. A least for ginger and avocado interiors as in my cars. Man the paint they've used were ugly. Especially the avocado one, some weird old looking army colour, like if avocado could not have been something fresh to look at...

Avocado rules   :whistling:

73-vert-autotrader7.jpg

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...