car cutting out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 351 clevland dard red
I was bringing my car back after getting new brakes on and was crusing at fifty then the car loses power and starts to cut out it starts up straight away again this happens a couple more times until go very far after been started any ideas

I was bringing my car back after getting new brakes on and was crusing at fifty then the car loses power and starts to cut out it starts up straight away again this happens a couple more times until go very far after been started any ideas
Check simple things first fuel filter, air filter, etc..............

In my experience, when the car runs in Park just fine in every regard, but is unable run under load, it has been fuel related, and most specifically the fuel filter.

This is ESPECIALLY true with the Ford screw on to carb filter.

In my experience, when the car runs in Park just fine in every regard, but is unable run under load, it has been fuel related, and most specifically the fuel filter.

This is ESPECIALLY true with the Ford screw on to carb filter to an original carb.

Where do you get a fuel filter in Ireland?

Isn't it cheaper to convert your car to run on Scotch then petrol on your side of the Atlantic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it an especially warm day by chance?
no not warm not where im from

This is ESPECIALLY true with the Ford screw on to carb filter.

This is ESPECIALLY true with the Ford screw on to carb filter to an original carb.

Where do you get a fuel filter in Ireland?

Isn't it cheaper to convert your car to run on Scotch then petrol on your side of the Atlantic?
I have another car for work i only drive this car sometimes for a bit of fun at the weekend and can get any parts i need from the car club im with

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking bad coil. When they age, they will break down under load and especially when they get hot. Pantera's had a horrible problem with this and the solution besides replacing the coil was to relocate it to a cooler spot in the engine compartment such as the inner fender well.

Sounds ignition related to me. If it was fuel, you'd think that when starting it back up it would be hard starting as when you are under load, the fuel pump is pulling harder then when at idle.

Having said that, if you haven't changed the fuel filter in a while in while, I'd do that first and then I'd slap a new coil in there.

Coils go out intermittently, until the just go out. If it is getting weak and cutting out like that, it won't be long intil it drops out altogether and leaves you stranded.

If you buy anew coil and it's not the coil, then you got an extra coil for the future to use for troubleshooting! The fact the it starts to miss, dies, then fires right back up, sounds like the coil is done, to me.

Best of luck

The reason I don't suspect the coil is that the car will fire back up.

If the coil gets hot, it can sometimes be an issue...actually you can feel the coil to see how hot it gets, or get one of those newfangled IR meters and keep track of the temp.

Anyway, if the coil get hot...not very warm, but HOT, that could be a problem. But I would not expect the coil to immediately fire after stopping if that was a problem.

If you have an HEI or PERTRONIX or other electronic ignition, that may be an issue and is easily swapped out.

But try the fuel filter first.

Back