REALLLLY long test drive???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
So I am trying to sell my '72. I have several people interested, one coming tomorrow and one on Saturday. The guy coming on Saturday has called me 3 times now. Today he called and had several good questions, then he asked one that I am not sure how to answer.

The question was, "I want to take it to my mechanic, body shop, and my interior guys for assessment". While I am certainly Ok with getting an informed decision, the buyer lives about 65 miles away (each way). So this would mean him driving the car across LA and back after taking it to three different businesses, probably several days at least.

I want to sell the car. I want the buyer to be comfortable. I want a fair deal for both of us. What would you do?

If I let them take the car, what kind of agreement, deposit, contract, insurance, would you require? I was thinking a deposit at least what an insurance deductible would be. My wife just flat out said no. HELP!

I would offer to meet him at the first place he wanted to take the car. Then he can drive it to the other two while you follow in his car.

If it was me...I would flat out say...No...Gas is way to high....And last thing you need is more undue miles on a car your tring to sell....Specialy if something happend to it on the drive over "accidents or whatever" God forbid....I know you wanna sell the car...But i wouldnt do that....I would flat out say..bring who ever you want with you...They can check out the car.....Send anyone he wants...Im sure they would make the trip if they wanted it bad enough...65 miles isnt nothing for some one wanting the car...But making the car owner deliver the car too auto palces so they can check it out? thats unheard of in my book...Either he comes with all the people to check it out...Or not...I would not "unless he happens to be a good freind" Do that for anyone..lol

not in a million years will I let a stranger drive my car ...no matter what the intentions...
agreed, he would not drive the car unless I was with him and it would not be a 130 mile test drive!

I Have To Agree With Everone Else, Sorry, But "NO". If He Wants It Bad Enough He Can Make Arrangements Locally. You Are In California For Gods Sake, There Has To Be Restoration Shops All Over That Will Inspect The Car For Him, For A Minor Fee.

Dave , i wouldn't do it.

take a car for a test drive is one thing , but drive it to 3 different places goes realy too far in my opinion.

I always use "automobileinspections.com" to inspect cars for me in the US , the costs are $ 379,- you can see what's included on their website.

JB

It's very unreasonable..& You would have to be crazy to do it..I've looked at plenty of cars for other people.The buyer would pay a fee to whoever he wants to inspect the car..There's no reason he can't have the people come to where the car is & have them inspect it there. Unless of course he doesn't want to pay them to do so. Simple answer to that is that your removing the insurance & plates so any inspections have to be done where the car is located..end of conversation..If he wants the car bad enough he will do what he has to do. Interior shop ? thats a new one I never ever heard of someone taking a car they may buy to a interior shop for inspection..This guy is off his rocker..Too many red flags...forget it in my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let the car out of your sight or off your property - a serious buyer would bring someone around to look at the car.

Or tell him you'll take it to all the places he listed - for a thousand bucks up front.

He should do his homework on the car before looking at it, ask his guys what to look for and a worst case price on repairs. The only way I would do it is he would have to buy it with a 24 hour return agreement that way if he breaks it he already bought it, and there would be a mileage fee if he returns it. get everything in writing and a witness

Tell him to have his guys come with him so he see what they say about it. But i wouldn't let him let him take it 65+ miles. he could crash the car. If he REALLY wants the car he can make the trip with his people.

I dont even like my wife driving my car and she is on my collector car insurance policy. I would allow a reasonable test drive and if he wants all those people to look have him make the arrangments to meet them all at one location at one time. Getting a deposit from him is not really going to help you if he screws the car up. Good luck!

Do not let him take the car withut you in it. There are so many scetchy people here in southern Cal I would be wary. You're in OC, there must be plenty of restoration shops in that county that you and he can take it to. Don't do it.

I agree with the majority, no way! I'd let him take a test drive with me in the passenger seat and he would be welcome to take all the photos he wants and to bring anyone he wants to examine the car. If he's a serious buyer those restrictions wouldn't break the deal. the oddest request is taking it to his "interior guy for assessment" photos will do for that purpose.

Normally I would allow someone to test drive my car without me going along...but not with this guy, something just isn't right. As far as getting something in writing, when you're dealing with a con artist or thief a written agreement is nothing but a piece of paper you'll be stuck with and no recourse except to pursue costly civil actions that will probably go no where. The police will fill out a report, file it and close out their action. They have more important things to do then chasing down the car you let a person drive away in. Soooo, don't do it.

Jim

The only way I would do it is he would have to buy it with a 24 hour return agreement that way if he breaks it he already bought it, and there would be a mileage fee if he returns it. get everything in writing and a witness
Cash & carry baby..Try & enforce that agreement..court..fee's etc. Forget it not worth it..Every car I've bought from a private party I've always brought cash..Every car I've sold same deal Cash talks..the rest can walk

My initial reaction is no way.

However, how much are you asking? how are you representing the car? Are you asking high dollar for an 'original' or a fair price for a higher milage car with some restorations.

If it is the first, and the guy is serious, he should come take a quick look, take some pics and then bring back some inspectors. If it is the second then it is kind of unreasonable, especially taking it to his interior guy. Almost sounds like he wants to do a quick flip on the car.

The majority is saying NO WAY and I agree! This guy might try and sweat/hassle you a little and say if you don't agree to this, he'll walk.

I'd tell him to take his money somewhere else.

Very strange beginning of what would probably be a very bad transaction.

Ray

Back