"custom" wood shift knob

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
Hey guys I made a wood shift knob for a friend of mine's Acura Integra, yeah I know. (I hope I posted this in the right place) I think it turned out quite well for a prototype. It weighs about 2.5 oz. I bought a 2" diameter hardwood ball and 5/8" round bar and went from there.

Here's the process I used:

First I made some wood vise pads.

100_5038.jpg

Wood ball in said vise pads

100_5046.jpg

5/8" round bar

100_5053.jpg

round bar cut to length and ready to be drilled

100_5056.jpg

Hole drilled

100_5058.jpg

Tapping the steel insert

100_5063.jpg

Test fit

100_5068.jpg

Finished product, excluding the stain and poly. Apparently someone, me, put thread locker on one of the set screws and stained the wood. I might be able to sand it down and it probably won't be visible when I get the stain on as it's going to be a deep dark cherry style stain.

100_5087.jpg

I have 5 or 6 wood balls left if anybody wants me to make them one. I just need to know the thread size because I doubt that the mustangs are M10x1.50. Also, you can send me an example of what type of stain you are looking for.

Thanks for looking.

That's way too cool! Can you burn "Mark's kids" into the top? Would make a great shifter knob on my Hurst!
Thanks, I might be able to burn lettering in, if I find my old wood burning kit.

Found out a pool ball is 2 inches. 2-1/2 would be ideal for those of us with x-large mitts (additional charge no problem). I'm thinking the membership will jump on this! Great idea Jayson!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I've been having trouble staining the knob(s) this weird stripe appears unstained. I'll be honest I haven't worked on it for a while but I'm thinking of getting back into it with the cold weather coming.

100_5299.jpg

Update: I've been having trouble staining the knob(s) this weird stripe appears unstained. I'll be honest I haven't worked on it for a while but I'm thinking of getting back into it with the cold weather coming.

100_5299.jpg
Normally the "unfinished stripe" occurs where the wood has been polished from over sanding/machining. Polishing closes the grain and doesn't allow the stain to absorb. I would try wiping the entire piece with denatured alcohol to reopen the grain, and follow that with re-staining.

Good luck.

Back