No power at I-post on solenoid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndoe000

Reaction score
My Car
1973 restomod fastback
Hey guys,

So I tried to start the car for the first time, and she turns over but has no spark. I took a multimeter to the solenoid and I have 12v on the S-post when I crank, but I have no voltage at the I-post. Any idea on what the problem could be?

When you're cranking, the starter solenoid relays 12V to the I terminal. Your starter solenoid is bad.

He is correct. When cranking all 4 posts (2 large, 2 small) end up with 12 volts (or close to it, often times during cranking the volts will drop some). Your solinoid is probably bad.

Hey guys, so I changed the solenoid today and still able to crank but no power to the I-post. I pulled the harness and checked continuity on the red-blue wire that runs to the I-post and it appears fine, but shouldn't this red-blue wire supply 12v to the I-post and not the other way around?

The red/blue wire is the trigger for the starter (S post, front post); the brown or red/green wire is for the ignition coil (I post, rear post).

I think I found the problem, the fuse box looks like its missing the accessory post and one of its fuse holder brackets. Does anyone have a picture of their fuse box that's in proper condition?

IMG-20120804-01000.jpg

IMG-20120804-01001.jpg

IMG-20120804-01002.jpg

i just put a new solenoid in my '69 f100 last night and it was bad out of the box! Serves me right for buying from autozone, but i did so cause they are open late....anyways, do you have switch :shrug2::shrug2::shrug2::shrug2:power at the coil?

That fuse box configuration is normal; not all Mustangs came with the extra fuse clip for various accessories ordered with the car.

If you need that extra fuse clip, I sell new ones for $20.

Back