shifter bushing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanCampbell

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Hardtop
All

I need to replace the shifter bushing, has anyone done this?

Im looking for some instructions online but cant find anthing for the 71 -73 Mustangs.

I dont know exactly where it is and what I need to do to access it.

I'm trying to knock this out while I wait on mt turn signal switch.

Dan

I had a sloppy shifter and replacing the bushing was an amazing difference.

I assume we are both talking about the floor shifter. It's actually a pretty quick replacement you can do from inside the car. Remove the console. Then there are 4 screws for the indicator panel. Remove those and you should be able to slip the panel off through the T handle by rotating it 90 degrees. There is a nut that hods the lever onto the assembly. You remove that nut and you can slip off the entire lever assembly. The bushing goes between the assembly and the rod that it is on. This is all from memory so your actual experience may vary but on a wrenching scale of 1 to 4 I would give this a 1. It's super easy and makes an amazing difference.

I had a sloppy shifter and replacing the bushing was an amazing difference.

I assume we are both talking about the floor shifter. It's actually a pretty quick replacement you can do from inside the car. Remove the console. Then there are 4 screws for the indicator panel. Remove those and you should be able to slip the panel off through the T handle by rotating it 90 degrees. There is a nut that hods the lever onto the assembly. You remove that nut and you can slip off the entire lever assembly. The bushing goes between the assembly and the rod that it is on. This is all from memory so your actual experience may vary but on a wrenching scale of 1 to 4 I would give this a 1. It's super easy and makes an amazing difference.
I wanted to say thanks for posting this, I have not had the free time to replace the bushing yet but really thank you for posting the how to.

Dan

Back