weather strip replacement on convertible top

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry kelley

Reaction score
My Car
fully restored 1972 mustang convertable. Bright blue metalic with black delux interior, console , FMX trans, 302 4v, Edelbrock performer intake, Magnum 500 wheels, front and rear spoilers, Mach1 stripes and NASA hoood.
Has anyone ever repaced the weather strip on your top? How hard is is to do and how long did it take? Also, I see on all kits for 71-73 there ar 7 pieces. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I only count six. I have no seal across the front of the top at the frame. The top has an area that compresses when the top is down. Could this be a special top that eliminated the standard style seal? Thanks for any input you guys could give

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a rubber seal that runs underneath across the front of your top over the windshield. If is not there you will definitely have a leak.

The top has the canvas "roll" at the front that acts like a wind deflector allowing the rubber seal to work without wind pressure. You apparently still have yours. If your rubber is gone, look to see if there is a metal plate under the header that runs the length of the of the front. This plate holds the round rubber gasket in place. If it is in place and there is a thin rubber underneath it then someone tore the old gasket off. If the metal plate is missing then that explains why there is no rubber gasket in place. If the metal plate is missing you will have to make one because I have never seen one reproduced. They do tend to rust. The screws can be difficult to remove.

i replaced mine years ago. The kit I got was 'close but no cigar'. It was not a 100% reproduction. I never got the windows to fit 'just right'.

On the other hand, I don't drive it in rain and leave the top down most of the time so I wasn't too worried about it. I do remember it was EXPENSIVE at the time. I have not priced them lately.

I went back and checked my Ford shop manual. Actually there are just 5 pieces to replace. Here is the link to the page:

convertible weatherstrip

I went back and checked my Ford shop manual. Actually there are just 5 pieces to replace. Here is the link to the page:

convertible weatherstrip
Where the Ford manual says "front side rail" weatherstrip and the picture shows a long u shaped piece, the aftermarket pieces are 3 pieces, one long across the front and 2 short side pieces making up the 7 total.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. This is all great information. Now I know what to look for. Any recommendations on a supplier? I know some are better than others. Thanks

Yeah, Ohio Mustang. He'll tell you if what he sells is an exact match. Whatever he sells is going to probably be the best available or, if it isn't, he will tell you why and where you can get it. Straight up guy.

i replaced mine years ago. The kit I got was 'close but no cigar'. It was not a 100% reproduction. I never got the windows to fit 'just right'.
Same as my experience. Learned to live with the wind noise leaking in at the door glass.

BTW: For years I have used an extra neoprene gasket I modified from a garage door gasket that I lay on the top of the stainless as I put the top into position. Prevents 95% of rain water leaking in at highway speeds.

Great idea! Would you mind posting a few pictures of what you did?

Jeff

Jeff
I checked with Ohio Mustang and the manufacturer of the seal kit is DCMR. Has anyone used one of their kits and did it fit well? NPD uses a product from Daniel Carpenter who is supposed be be liscensed by Ford? I don't know anything about either products.

DCMR is Daniel Carpenter Mustang Reproductions. I had an upholstery shop install my DCMR kit about two years ago. No problems I know off, but I do not drive my 73 convert in the rain.

DCMR is Daniel Carpenter Mustang Reproductions. I had an upholstery shop install my DCMR kit about two years ago. No problems I know off, but I do not drive my 73 convert in the rain.
Thats good to know. I was mainly concerned with the fit. I don't drive mine in the rain either but don't want to buy something that the fasteners don't line up or the seal material is of inferior quality. looks like Ohio Mustang has the best price anyway. Thanks

Jeff
This is what I use as a supplement. It's neoprene so it lays flat and seals quite well

73 Neogasket windshield - 1.jpg

73 Neogasket windshield - 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how hard to replace the 7 pieces?
Mine was done by the upholstery shop that did my top and the convertible well material at the same time. I think the total labor was $600.00 including the labor for the rubber pieces.

So, how hard to replace the 7 pieces?
Mine was done by the upholstery shop that did my top and the convertible well material at the same time. I think the total labor was $600.00 including the labor for the rubber pieces.
I was hoping this was a DIY'er kind of job.

Convert tops on our cars is kinda like a lost art...cables...pads...some part of i has tacks. Seriously, tacks. And i recall when mine was replaced the frame had to adjusted so the top didnt catch on one side for some reason. As for the seals...the whole car leaks. Just accept it. If you get caucht in the rain on the way home you will get water leakin right in the middle of the top of the windshield onto your console, if you open the window a crack you get a stream onto your left leg. You always have wind noise, and the frame rivets will always rattle and jingle when you drive. But the top is only a temporary top. Its supposed to be down when you drive. Then the whole thing makes sense! Ha ha

I'm not really worried about leaks as the car won't be out in the rain, but the seals are dry rotted and have shrunk. So there is some air space and more than there should wind noise.

Sort of like when Costanza went into the pool.

Back