Color of Red

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
I want to paint my 71 red but do not like the almost orange tint I see from some bright red color codes. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar color that will not give me the orange tint?

Thanks for the help!

On my Jeep I went with Chrysler 'True red'. I don't see any orange color in it. It is very red.

Here it is next to a j12 prototype, the picture is fuzzy but you can see the J12 has more orange in it:

P1000991.jpg

Here is a clearer shot of it:

P1000857.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Jeep I went with Chrysler 'True red'. I don't see any orange color in it. It is very red.
Any pictures and/or color code?

Here it is next to a j12 prototype, the picture is fuzzy but you can see the J12 has more orange in it:

P1000991.jpg

Here is a clearer shot of it:

P1000857.jpg
Never mind. It did not appear on the mobil version.:dodgy:

Very nice looking Jeep! I like the color so I tried to look it up. I found no Chrysler colors called True Red when I sorted the master color list by Name. The list shows True Blue followed by Trumpet Gold. :/

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&sort=name&page=126&rows=50

Could it be Tor Red? http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&sort=name&page=125&rows=50

Tor Red looks similar to your color. Here's Tor Red on a 2010 Challenger.

challenger201077204.jpg

Interesting. I kept the receipt from the paint. I will look it up tonight or I can call the guys that painted the truck and they may have it. It's an 'older' color, like 10 year or so. Of course with a name like 'true red' you will get millions of search hits.

Thanks for the Jeep compliment. It's my other hobby car....

Rangoon Red from 65 is a nice red that is the color on my Dad's fastback sorry no pics since pc crashed.

This is my Mustang back in 1984 Its Candy Apple Red Code "T" in 71 it was dropped in 72. Thats the color I will be repainting to. My Mach is a 72

35mp07d.jpg

This is my Mustang back in 1984 Its Candy Apple Red Code "T" in 71 it was dropped in 72. Thats the color I will be repainting to. My Mach is a 72

35mp07d.jpg
How did it look with the black stripe? The picture is dark. I was worried candy apple would be too dark for the stripe.

I Liked it but I was 16 and it was one hot car for a 16 year old so whats not to like. Its a valid concern but I guess it depends on what you want to pop at you. I like stripes as an accent and not too overpowering so I think it has a good balance.

Candy apple is a great color.
Don,

I have been a little afraid of candy apple as the color seems to vary from a mid red to dark, almost maroon. Can you suggest a color code and/or example pic with black stripes?

I Liked it but I was 16 and it was one hot car for a 16 year old so whats not to like. Its a valid concern but I guess it depends on what you want to pop at you. I like stripes as an accent and not too overpowering so I think it has a good balance.
I am going for the accent look with the stripes. I ask because I have seen dark red or maroon cars with a black stripe that made the whole car look darker.

What do you guys think of the red 69(?) on the front of the 2012 NPD catalog? Is that a candy apple?

Candy apple is a great color.
Don,

I have been a little afraid of candy apple as the color seems to vary from a mid red to dark, almost maroon. Can you suggest a color code and/or example pic with black stripes?
I agree! What is candy apple on one car is different from the candy apple on another car. The best way to see the color is to go to a paint jobber store and look at the chip book. Take the book outside into the sun to really see the colors pop.

Candy Colors change with the base color as well. Do you want a metallic base? My 73 2b Bright red looked different than our 76 Gran Torino Starsky and Hutch 2b Bright Red. The Starsky cars were painted white first then the stripe taped off, then sprayed red over it. Made it more candy apple red. If Ford painted the other way the striped looked pink.

Guys, here is what house of Kolor recommennds. Go to HOK shimirn 2 colors, select the color you like. The formula shows what color and base to use. Then you do a test panel. spray base then 3 layers of red, then area of 4 layers then 5 layers. some painters recommend 6 coats as last test. You chosse which color you like looking in sun and inside under lights. Then number of coats you like best is what you have them spray. The candy red and brandywine are lighter brighter over their silver base.

We plan to use house of kolor. Orig thought we'd use a 3 stage yellow but too difficult to get the 3 stages even. HOK uses 2 stages and its easier to get consistency and also be able to match if repairs are needed.

Just what I've been able to gather. The painter we will use is a restoration shop that uses HOK and is among others restoring a $1 mill hupmobile.

Hope this helps

Jen and Roshelle

The original Ford candy apple red was a single stage paint...not one of the fancy layered application paints. That's the color I am talking about...the original Ford candy apple red.

The fancy candy colors look awesome but are not practical for a daily driven car. Too hard to touch up. You have to repaint to touch up.

I agree! What is candy apple on one car is different from the candy apple on another car. The best way to see the color is to go to a paint jobber store and look at the chip book. Take the book outside into the sun to really see the colors pop.

True and it will still change some omn the car depending on color of primer etc..................

Back