Steering Box rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
Anyone have experience with someone rebuilding the integral steering box for a 72? I checked with Stangersite and he does not do the integral box like we have. Any other folks known to rebuild these boxes?

Got a complete rebuild kit at my local auto parts store. Now I own my own cam bearing removal/insertion set for the 2 seals and bearing on the pitman arm shaft. You have to be very carfull if your doing a TOTAL rebuild due to the ball brearing that ride on the worm gear. During disassembly you can just turn the shaft enough to get the large piston cover to come off. If you go too far you will hear those ball bearings fall into the housing and then you may as well go ahead and replace all of the teflon and rubber O-rings on the piston shaft. Be very carefull to cover the openings also when removing the cover just in case so those rascals don't end rolling all over the garage floor. Book says there should be either 27 of 29 of them dependfing on model. Mine however only 25 when I started and will 25 when I put it back together since it was working O.K. before the tear down.

Anyone have experience with someone rebuilding the integral steering box for a 72? I checked with Stangersite and he does not do the integral box like we have. Any other folks known to rebuild these boxes?
B..this is the place to use.. http://lee-powersteering.com/

I can pretty much do anything ..But a steering box is something I just won't mess with..

Brian, As Mark said, it is a challenging exercise and requires some specialized tools like an old style (not break away) inch pound torque wrench, patience, and way more time than I thought it would take. The short version is it is a PITA. So on the last car, I had my local NAPA store send my box to be rebuilt. They make sure you get your box back (keep the metal tag but provide them the info on the tag). It takes about 2-3 weeks and cost was about $200.00 and it works fine. For me this is one of those things that I can do but won't unless I have no other choice. The older I get the longer that list seems to become. Chuck

Amen to that! If I wasn't off work and really looking for something to do I would have probably done the same thing. But since time is available I figured what the heck.

http://www.powersteering.com/products/\

At one point I considered adding power steering and talked to this shop.

Not only can they rebuild the units, but they can convert them to a quicker steering ratio.

Our Power steering boxes are made by saginaw and they share most of the internal parts with the Chevrolet Corvette box of the era.

Did an intermet search under ford power steering rebuild and came across these guys on a vintage bronco forum.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com

Gave them a call and spoke with Tom. He said that they have done plenty of mustang boxes in the past, but advertise and tend to stick more with the off road guys. He estimated $120 for the rebuild. He said it will come back media plasted and shot peened with a clear coat to prevent rusting. I am going to fill out the form on their site and ship it off. I will follow-up when I get it back.

If i would of known it was only 120 to have rebuilt i wouldnt of bought the 50 kit and did it myself. save alot of headache for only 120 bucks!! Nice find!![/i]

Brian, As Mark said, it is a challenging exercise and requires some specialized tools like an old style (not break away) inch pound torque wrench, patience, and way more time than I thought it would take. The short version is it is a PITA. So on the last car, I had my local NAPA store send my box to be rebuilt. They make sure you get your box back (keep the metal tag but provide them the info on the tag). It takes about 2-3 weeks and cost was about $200.00 and it works fine. For me this is one of those things that I can do but won't unless I have no other choice. The older I get the longer that list seems to become. Chuck
Well, I came across this on YouTube and I'm thinking the jeep Steering Box shown looks very similar to ours, is that correct?? Anyway, it's a very well done and informative video

[video=youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back