Plastic Grill Paint Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
Now before everybody starts I did this on my spare 73 Chevy plastic grill first to see if it actually worked. Bought the cheapest ($2.75) no name brand of OVEN CLEANER! Sprayed it down, put in a plastic bag over night and then hit it with the jet setting on my water hose nozzle. Let it dry and did it again on the spots that didn't (and there were very few) come off. I'm going to give it a couple hours and hit it with just the water again to see just how much I'll need to scotch bright pad. Will post pics this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
brake fluid is good and if you use EZ lift off which is a plastic model paint remover it works well.

Do not use oven cleaner around aluminum trim. Many contain sodium hydroxide which is lye.

When mixed with water and aluminum a chemical reaction occurs creating aluminum hydroxide, sulfuric acid and hydrogen.

If there is trim on a grill it may be polished aluminum and should be removed before using the oven cleaner.

Good point. My Chevy grill has none.
Then dont worry with a chevy there will be more fumes than that to worry about:p
Only those behind it can smell those! :p
I have to agree with Mark here.

Only those behind it can smell it - the tow truck driver gets a clean fresh scent :)

Then dont worry with a chevy there will be more fumes than that to worry about:p
Only those behind it can smell those! :p
I have to agree with Mark here.

Only those behind it can smell it - the tow truck driver gets a clean fresh scent :)
I think I'm beginning to feel the love here! :p

It woked great at removing grease, caked on oil, and paint but I didn't let it dry. I sprayed it on, let it work, little scrubing, reapply, and rince with water.

Back