Best tire size for stock 15" rims with dog dish & rings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
So my back tires are balding on the M-code. :d I'm running the original rims, dog dishes & trim rings. Current size is 245/60R15 in an off brand. I can go with this size again but is this the best size? What else can I run? I want to use the same size for front & rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
So my back tires are balding on the M-code. :d I'm running the original rims, dog dishes & trim rings. Current size is 245/60R15 in an off brand. I can go with this size again but is this the best size? What else can I run? I want to use the same size for front & rear.
I am running 235/60-15 Radial TAs on all 4. They seem to be the perfect size for me. I was told that it is equal to the F60-15 that it came with.

Thanks. That's the size tirerack.com said was the correct size. The 245/60s look slightly tall but the width is good. The speedo is dead on accurate too with the 245s. I may give the 235s a try since that would be the most original size. I saw the side shot of your car in your garage. Looks great! Could you please post a pic showing the rear of your car to see what the width looks like?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 245/60R15 on all four corners on Magnum 500 15x7

Don if you have the small center hole 15 inch steel wheels, they are worth some decent money

The M code would not have come with them, it would have had 14's

The 15 inch steel ones were on 70 and 71 Boss cars , 71 429 mustangs.

Hard to find them

Thanks. That's the size tirerack.com said was the correct size. The 245/60s look slightly tall but the width is good. The speedo is dead on accurate too with the 245s. I may give the 235s a try since that would be the most original size. I saw the side shot of your car in your garage. Looks great! Could you please post a pic showing the rear of your car to see what the width looks like?
Here is a rear shot. See what you think. There is room for bigger, but I wanted to stay with original sizes and wanted the same size on all 4.

DSC03856bop.jpg

My opinion 235/60s fit well on 67-70s. On 71-73s the 245/60s just fill the wheel wells up a little better. I put 235s on my Grande and was disappointed with the look. Then I stepped up to the 245s and thought it look just right.:cool: I got a good deal on a used set of 235 BFGs for my Mach 1 which I let my brother use on his Ranchero. I think they look fine on that big car/truck.:D Here is a pic of my brothers 70 Boss 302 it has 235s up front and 245s on the back for now. He plans on buying a new set of 235 BFG T/As when it hits the street. I would not go any smaller than 235s.

image0-2.jpg

2011 knotts 002.jpg

3514V 001.jpg

3514V 003.jpg

Don if you have the small center hole 15 inch steel wheels, they are worth some decent money

Hard to find them
Here's a copy of my invoice that shows the F60x15 Wide Oval tires. It did not come with Mag 500 wheels so regular 15x7 steel rims with 15' trim rings. ;)

Eminger Invoice 1F05M19xxxx.jpg

Hard to find them
Here's a copy of my invoice that shows the F60x15 Wide Oval tires. It did not come with Mag 500 wheels so regular 15x7 steel rims with 15' trim rings. ;)
Well how cool is that. Don I would defiantly go with the hub caps and rings. If I could find a proper set I would go that way over the Mag 500s for sure.

Hard to find them
Didn't know you could order it that way

I would think that is very rare

Hard to find them
Didn't know you could order it that way

I would think that is very rare
I think it's always cool to discover something new about these cars.

Don, Keep the wheels!!! I need to find a 1971 Ford "Car Facts" book. Boss1Ray you got one? Chuck

Don,  Keep the wheels!!! I need to find a 1971 Ford "Car Facts" book. Boss1Ray you got one? Chuck
Ugh - yeah.  Good thing I pay so much attention to this site!    rofl

But I was still kind new to this forum back then! 

I'm only 6 years behind on this one!  :shootself:

I thought this thread had where Don was running some 15x8 sleelies with trim rings and caps off a van?

Ray

Way back when a friend of mine ran 245/50/15 on front 255/50/15 out back on his 71 Convertible. This online tire store doesn't carry 245/50/15

In my opinion 60's and taller look like balloons.  :D

Back