Desirability of 1967-68 Fastbacks vs 1971-73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I was just browsing E bay which I do everyday and there was a 1968 Red fastback (J-code) that bidding started at 18.00 hrs at $1,500.00 6 minutes later it was up to over 5k.

When a 1971-73 Mach 1 hits e bay no matter how nice or optioned it never bids that fast,sometimes its days before anyone puts a bid. I find this sometimes frustrating that our 7173 dont get the attention like other fastbacks although I know thats the case and hopefully someday it wil get much better. No matter what we still love them!!

its a double edge sword.... The aftermarket has not caught up with the 71-73 mustangs... and the wanting of these mustangs is not anything campared to the 65-70 fastbacks.... It a love hate relationship with the 71-73 and I love Mine.....

I have never cared for the 67/68 body style, even back in the day when they were new. The $1,500 starting bid is kind of low, so the initial activity up to $5K kind of makes sense.

OK, like everyone here I have my first preference being the 71 - 73 body style. I also have my 67 fastback that I really enjoy as well. It gets alot of attention when driving it because people can usually identify it to be a mustang. The 71-73 are not as widely known so people will often ask what it is. It is true that the early body styles get bigger $$. Some of the offers I have had on my 67 I have had to think long and hard about not taking. Just hold on to your big body cars, there values are increasing and someday will match up to the earlier mustangs. Look at some of the later year trans am's and firebirds. Not to long ago they were on the cheap. Now they have come up quite a bit.

67 outside4 v2.jpg

My 1st experience with mustangs was a 68 fastback my best friend got for his 16th birthday it was midnight blue with a 289 4 sp in it. it was in perfect condition and over the years we did alot to the car it ended up with a built cleveland in it, a 9" rear with 4.56 posi gears in it and a fully customized body. To be honest I didnt even like the 71-73's back then I thought they were too big and not as cool lookin as the older stangs. My 1st stang was a grabber Orange 70 mach 1 and it was a great looking car. Then when I was 25 I got a good deal on a 73 Mach 1 and fell in love with it! Honestly when I started looking for another stang I would of been happy with any fastback 67-73 and Im real happy with the 73 I ended up with!

I have never cared for the 67/68 body style, even back in the day when they were new.
Me too. Don't get me wrong, I think ALL vintage Mustangs on the road are cool, but the early fastbacks just aren't my favorites. '69-'73 fastbacks are the coolest, IMHO... '68 and older - coupes or 'verts for me.

I love the earlier Mustangs almost as much as the 71-73 style especially the 69. It doesn't really bother me that other people don't like the 71-73's as much though. As nice as it is to get comments and compliments about my 73, I don't drive it for other people to look at. I drive it because I love it. I do not think I've ever been pissed off while driving the 'Stang. (besides when other people want to trade paint.)

If our Mustangs were as desirable as the 67-68's they would cost more, and I would now be talking to you guys as a fan who hopes to one day have the finances to start his own project. I will say though, it really irks me when the "purists" start hating on the "lumbering big bodied Mustangs" :dodgy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the earlier Mustangs almost as much as the 71-73 style especially the 69. It doesn't really bother me that other people don't like the 71-73's as much though. As nice as it is to get comments and compliments about my 73, I don't drive it for other people to look at. I drive it because I love it. I do not think I've ever been pissed off while driving the 'Stang. (besides when other people want to trade paint.)

If our Mustangs were as desirable as the 67-68's they would cost more, and I would now be talking to you guys as a fan who hopes to one day have the finances to start his own project. I will say though, it really irks me when the "purists" start hating on the "lumbering big bodied Mustangs" :dodgy:
You make a very good point in this post Valhallo. Although I was looking for a 4 speed Mach 1 and ended up with an automatic,the advantage of these models is that a 4 speed even in project status of the 67-70 model were out of my budget,and getting into a 4 speed 7173 fastback was much cheaper and I also love the look of 7173 Mach 1's.

it's all about the look for me. The fastbacks are lower, wider with a lower angle going to rear. This was always my first choice and always will be. When I'm old, dicrepid and given up on life, I'll swap it for a corolla or camry.

I never really cared what "they" liked. The 1st car I ever bought was a '71 Mach-1 in 1992, when I first joined the Air Force. Due to rust from being in Hawaii, I sold it when I left Oahu. Then I bought a '68 coupe which I still have today. I love my '68 but always told myself I woukd get another '71-73. Now that I'm retiring from the Military in November, I just recently picked up a '73 Mach-1. It's a fixer upper, but it will give me something to do while I figure out what I want to do when I grow up. As for the popularity. Well, we can't all be wrong...lol. I kind of like the fact that I don't see many cars just like mine. A black Mach-1 certainly does stand out in a crowd of econo-boxes and Smart Cars. Think of it this way, if you can afford a '67-'68 big block fastback, then maybe you can afford two nice '71-73's.

I took the 71 because I couldnt afford a 69 or 70..... but part of the thinking was "easier parts" .....geezus was I WRONG. I could have finished this car a year ago... thinking I knew my Mustands well.... the car was a decent buy...finding parts is almost as bad as my 65 SS.

She runs great looks great...just cant finish it "all original"

Back