69 302 vs. Boss 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
What is the difference between a 69 Fastback with 302 and a Boss 302? Obviously the stripe kit but are there other differences? We might be going to look at a regular 69 fast back with a 302 that's for sale locally.

This one that I'm looking at is a plain yellow fastback just begging for a black Boss stripe kit plus front and rear spoilers! Maybe even a set of louvers! I think it would look sweet, but I don't want to be accused of Boss cloning! LOL

Probably the best way to approach this question is to state that the '69 Boss 302 was actually a "Performance Package" that was only available in the SportsRoof body style. The only motor was the Cleveland-style 302 (different motor than the Windsor found in the regular 302). They were all four speeds, had the competition suspension (heavy duty springs, larger front sway bar and staggered shocks) and 16 to 1 steering ratio as standard equipment.

Externally, beyond the striping, the Boss 302 had a front spoiler, low gloss black paint on the hood, cowl, deck lid and rear panel. They also had 15" magnum 500 wheels. The standard non-functional rear quarter panel scoop is filled in on the Boss 302.

It has been said that all optional interiors were available but most were the standard black interior.

Hope this helps!

BT

BAH Who cars if it's a clone. The only thing that matters is that your car is the way you want it.Mine came with a 302 but now it has a 351 you can bet I will be putting the 351C emblems one the car .As long as you are honest with people and not try to pass it off as a real boss 302.A lot of people clone shelby's because they can't afford the real deal.I say go for it hahaha.And with a few mods your 302 can probably develop more than an original boss.I know that the highest hp a cleavland had was rated at 330hp right from the dealer in the 351boss.Mine will be closer to 450 so I could technically make a boss 351clone.But I would need to redo the whole interior, which I don't want to do because I don't have an original tach and gauges in my car. Just the dummy lights.An original tach and wiring harness goes for around 1000$.And I don't have the cash for that right now hahaha

I HEARD that, 72!

When I put the 545 in my '73, I am not going to have ANY problems with putting "545 STROKER" badges (already got 'em) on the front fenders.

In fairness, there seems to be a huge turn-around in the approach many are using toward how they are participating in our hobby - - they want to and apparently are striving to make the cars "better" and drive 'em!

I see this as a very good thing!

BT

I HEARD that, 72!

When I put the 545 in my '73, I am not going to have ANY problems with putting "545 STROKER" badges (already got 'em) on the front fenders.

In fairness, there seems to be a huge turn-around in the approach many are using toward how they are participating in our hobby - - they want to and apparently are striving to make the cars "better" and drive 'em!

I see this as a very good thing!

BT
Exactly I mean unless you have a really rare model like the boss 351 I was mentioning, I don't see the reason not to have the car exactly like you want it .I guess the term {restomod} comes to mind.I even took out the original shifter and put a B&M megashifter in there.

What is the difference between a 69 Fastback with 302 and a Boss 302? Obviously the stripe kit but are there other differences? We might be going to look at a regular 69 fast back with a 302 that's for sale locally.

I am available to help evaluate it if you need help. I had a 69 convertible before my current car. I still have some good part left over from that build.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying! I can't get the guy to reply to my emails and no contact number! I think my emails may be going to his spam box and he isn't seeing them! Here's a pic of the car...

3nb3m23o15W45P45R1a7p80e36a19414a1a7d.jpg

the Biggest difference was the motor. a special 302 short block with the use of 4V Cleveland heads and a special intake that helped to marry the Cleveland head to a non Cleveland block.

4-speed

Heavy duty suspension

and graphics

Hope that helps

Mike

the Biggest difference was the motor. a special 302 short block with the use of 4V Cleveland heads and a special intake that helped to marry the Cleveland head to a non Cleveland block.

4-speed

Heavy duty suspension

and graphics

Hope that helps

Mike
Not 100% sure here .but I think they where Cleveland style heads because the 351c came out in 1970 in the mustangs.

100% sure on the heads. the 302 block needed different pistons because of the canted valves of the heads, plus other heavy duty stuff.

Shaker intake and side scoops?

With that front grille and side profile, it looks like a cross between a '67 Shelby and a '68 fast back. Is it a resto-mod?

BT

Yeah..caught it on ebay. A 68 Mustang "Boss" as it was labeled.

I'm a different blade of grass and usually go to the beat of a different drummer. I thought it was a really cool change from the ho-hum mundane stuff that crowds the shows these days. Dont get me wrong here, I love all those original 40,000 mile orig paint yadda yadda mustangs, but to stand out from a crowd..it's takes b@lls.

Thats why restomod and builders like Foose are popular. Gets back to the roots of car crafting. Build what YOU think rocks!

The Boss 302 heads are pretty much the same as the Boss 351 Cleveland heads, except for the water passage... They are closed chamber, with adjustable valvetrain, and they are set up for a Windsor block. By that, I mean that the water passages open on the intake side of the head...on a Cleveland, the water never goes through the intake manifold, but goes through the block. In order to use a set of Cleveland heads to copy a Boss 302, you need to drill a hole on the intake face of the head (just use a Boss 302 intake gasket to locate the hole). If you want to use a solid lifter cam, you need to machine the rocker pedestals, or use an adapter kit (I have an old Crane kit on my Cleveland) to get adjustable rocker arms. Boss 302 blocks also used screw in freeze plugs (you can do this to any block if you want).

Back