Sweet mother of bondo!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sport Roof
Went down to the body shop today. They're making good progress now, but the owner of the shop wanted me to come check out a "little problem". Turns out the rear passenger quarter panel is jacked. The car was in an accident at some point, and I already knew about that, but we thought the damage was limited to the passenger door and front fender. Anyway, they were stripping the paint off and hit body filler...a lot of body filler. After the accident it looked like they beat the quarter panel out with a hammer then hit it with about 1/4" of filler. See picture below (my finger in the body filler groove for reference). Just another snag in this adventure. Nothing several whiskies and a new quarter panel/outer wheel house can't fix.

28stq1l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Went down to the body shop today. They're making good progress now, but the owner of the shop wanted me to come check out a "little problem". Turns out the rear passenger quarter panel is jacked. The car was in an accident at some point, and I already knew about that, but we thought the damage was limited to the passenger door and front fender. Anyway, they were stripping the paint off and hit body filler...a lot of body filler. After the accident it looked like they beat the quarter panel out with a hammer then hit it with about 1/4" of filler. See picture below (my finger in the body filler groove for reference). Just another snag in this adventure. Nothing several whiskies and a new quarter panel/outer wheel house can't fix.

28stq1l.jpg
That looks very minor...I wouldn't do a qtr section for that little bit of damage..Stud welder..some pulling..some metal work..shrinking disc..better than new

28stq1l.jpg
That looks very minor...I wouldn't do a qtr section for that little bit of damage..Stud welder..some pulling..some metal work..shrinking disc..better than new
The picture doesn't do it justice. It's the whole side of the car, literally from the door back to the tail light panel and it looks like someone beat the crap out of it with a hammer. Also found some rust spots, holes and whatnot. It's just ugly.

Steve, I'm excited about the progress but bummed out about the bondo. Maker's Mark is pretty good stuff.
LOL it makes it easier to deal with, Don!

I like the Whiskey part... bummer on the concealed damage. That's why I'm afraid to get into the body work.
Yeah, it was the last part to strip the finish on too. The rest of the car wasn't too bad, some patching here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Knob Creek is what I would need for unexpected expenses! Usually keep a bottle Knob Creek along with Makers in the pantry.

This is what I discovered on my driver quarter... The sad part is the quarter doesn't even warrant that amount of bondo... Whoever did it, did it because they installed the rear tail light panel incorrectly and when it was all said an done the bumper didn't fit correct SOOOOO they made the quarter where they needed it.

20120610_102241.jpg

20120610_102252.jpg

Don Knob Creek is what I would need for unexpected expenses! Usually keep a bottle Knob Creek along with Makers in the pantry.
I dont think I would need to hit the bottle of whiskey over that little imperfection- maybe one beer and I would be good. I would hate to know what other meds would be needed for lifes bigger issues:D Good Luck with it!

Back