Transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbnelle

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
91 GT Convertible
This may be a silly question, but I was wondering what I can do to get my non-functional 73 vert moving on it's wheels again. I want to be able roll the car around on it's 4 wheels without the engine.

Is it as easy as disconnecting the drivetrain or removing the transmission?

I am fairly new to restorations and wondered what advice you all can provide me.

Thanks!

This may be a silly question, but I was wondering what I can do to get my non-functional 73 vert moving on it's wheels again. I want to be able roll the car around on it's 4 wheels without the engine.

Is it as easy as disconnecting the drivetrain or removing the transmission?

I am fairly new to restorations and wondered what advice you all can provide me.

Thanks!
I believe you need to provide more information. Is it locked up and won't roll even when you put the transmission in neutral with the park brake off?

Right. "Without the engine" could mean not under its own power or literally 'without the engine'.

If the engine is in it you can just put the car in Neutral and push it around. If the engine it out, I would pull the driveshaft too rather than letting it turn/torque the tranmission. But you will want to strap up that transmission or it will try to fall out!

Right. "Without the engine" could mean not under its own power or literally 'without the engine'.

If the engine is in it you can just put the car in Neutral and push it around. If the engine it out, I would pull the driveshaft too rather than letting it turn/torque the tranmission. But you will want to strap up that transmission or it will try to fall out!
{thumbs up} Drive shaft is the best way to go "if you got the motor pulled out"

Remember if it has been sitting, the brakes - meaning the actual drums, shoes and sometimes discs and calipers could be stuck.

Went through a recent headache because of this while hauling a car. And if the drums are stuck - just beat the heck out of them to get them released from the shoe. Don't need the drum on there to move car around. And drums are relatively easy and cheap to replace.

Good luck

Ray

Sorry for the confusion..the engine is still in the engine bay, but hasn't started in years! I was trying to figure out a way to roll it around without putting the wheels on dollies. I think I have an idea of what to do now..thanks for the responses!!

Back