Sequential Unit Numbers by year

Boss1Ray

Alrighty. Just saw this thread and I do have some information of value to add (I think). This is part of an email conversation I had with Kevin Marti (read bottom up):

Mr. Koopman,

It was the last day Grande's were built. There were a few other models of Mustangs built a few days later.

Thank you,

Kevin Marti

Marti Auto Works

www.martiauto.com

12007 W. Peoria Ave.

El Mirage, AZ 85335

(623)935-2558

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:37 PM

To: sales@martiauto.com

Subject: Re: Your Marti Report, Order: 1736366

Hello,

I have recently purchased a $40 report for my Mustang with VIN 3F04H262848 and I'm pleased with it, thanks!. There is one thing I'd like to ask though: It states a built date of July 6, 1973 and I was told that that was the very last day that the Mustang series I was produced.

I was wondering of you could confirm this?

Thanks and have a great day!

Vincent Koopman,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently received the Marti books and was hoping I could find date related sequential unit numbers. They are the last 6 of the VINS for each year.

I'd like to know the VIN for the first and last Mustang produced for each year.

I also realize that the VIN will not always be the deciding factor as to date assembled. Because some cars could be scheduled and bucked, receiving a VIN and then held up due to parts availability; especially for special ordered cars.

And for that reason maybe I could get the first/last date of production for each year - even that would be useful. But I cannot afford to pay Marti's folks an hourly rate to look this information up... My blank check would BOUNCE real quick! LOL

I had considered using the REGISTRY here on this site but I don't think it would provide enough info.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/71-73-mustang-registry.html

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on this?

Thanks!

Ray

Ray,

I was incorrect Ray it was #000003. Here is the link info still on eBay. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mach-1-serial-100003

If you do a search of the eBay cars pulled over I put up a thread about I think a 1973 Mach 1 last year with unit #000001. I will go see if I can locate it. You do realize that there are always early build cars out there also made before SOP for the model year. I do not know that Marti would even have that info. I know Ford made as many as 200 some years. They do this to check out the assembly process on the line and make sure everything fits properly. I have attended some of those builds and can be months ahead of the SOP. Cars for photo shoots, magazine shots & testing, extended mileage testing and of course those made for the bosses early. Your task you have picked is not an easy one for sure. All the early builds are planned out months ahead to allow suppliers to get their parts ready and attend the builds. Some are made with pure prototype parts and some have to be production parts to prove out their function. In today's world it also has lots of government crash testing and economy runs. If only someone had kept all the timeline information for those builds.

I kept the info for the first all new BMW built in S.C. the X-5. They sold to the public around 175 pre production vehicles used for various things.

Finding you an old engineer from the Mustang line would be your best bet.

Most people just toss all that info.

David

Alrighty. Just saw this thread and I do have some information of value to add (I think). This is part of an email conversation I had with Kevin Marti (read bottom up):

Mr. Koopman,

It was the last day Grandé's were built. There were a few other models of Mustangs built a few days later.

Thank you,

Kevin Marti

Marti Auto Works

www.martiauto.com

12007 W. Peoria Ave.

El Mirage, AZ 85335

(623)935-2558

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:37 PM

To: sales@martiauto.com

Subject: Re: Your Marti Report, Order: 1736366

Hello,

I have recently purchased a $40 report for my Mustang with VIN 3F04H262848 and I'm pleased with it, thanks!. There is one thing I'd like to ask though: It states a built date of July 6, 1973 and I was told that that was the very last day that the Mustang series I was produced.

I was wondering of you could confirm this?

Thanks and have a great day!

Vincent Koopman,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Was your car built in U.S. or there?

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Thanks Vinnie and David. It is a difficult one that I have put on the back burner for sure. AS people get more info from Marti, I hope they will try and add info here. Thanks again for everyone's inputs!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

I understand that Cougars were built on the same assembly line with mustangs in 71-73 and were serialized consecutively together.

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I have followed this interesting thread for a while. Accidentally I found this car at the Florida-located company RAGTOPS". I was on their premises some years ago and remember they had very nice cars in their inentory. The car shown for sale is a red 1973 convertible with a 351 2V engine.

It has a plaque on the center console identifying it as an award car handed from Lee Iaccocca to the (in 1973) very successful Ford dealer Sam Marshall of Marshall Ford in Cleveland. The plaque states that it is the last 1973 Mustang of the assembly line in Dearborn. It carries the sequence number 262956 which makes it a possibility that this could really be the last car of the 1973 breed.

Does anyone have serious doubt that Lee Iaccocca - who reportedly hated the "fat pigs" - gave one as an award to a promoted dealership? This is the part of the story I have problems to believe...

1225500109_Last734.thumb.jpg.7a4167ee7083da229c67663aa1ce7038.jpg

2060261820_Last737.thumb.jpg.ead4d236e09d4192108d72983b546428.jpg

934143701_Last733.thumb.jpg.6a4b137b9e6747a949ebe2fbad6dc62e.jpg

1295521706_Last732.thumb.jpg.5ca40b74e0b6e425b2b484ecd15b5e13.jpg

It should be simple enough to get with Marti to verify. Might have been the last convertible buy maybe other coupes, sportsroof or Mach1 followed? Would be interesting to know. I asked my dealer if they could set up for my car to be last one made and they did not have that much pull. Even thought they have had salesmen in the top ten for the year for all of Ford.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

It should be simple enough to get with Marti to verify. Might have been the last convertible buy maybe other coupes, sportsroof or Mach1 followed? Would be interesting to know. I asked my dealer if they could set up for my car to be last one made and they did not have that much pull. Even thought they have had salesmen in the top ten for the year for all of Ford.

Of course can't go by just the VIN. They can be all over he place...

I'd need to see the Marti report on that red convertible. Maybe the last convertible built for 73 but I agree with David as I don't think it is the last 73 Mustang produced.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

So if you take the vert VIN of 262956 and subtract from the Coupe that was last there was 935 cars built after the vert. Not all Mustangs probably some Cougars and I do not know if they built others on that line or not?

So it is safe to say the vert was not the last Mustang but would have to ask Marti about being the last Vert made.

David

For 1973 the Dearborn Assembly Plant (DAP) shared the line with Mercury Cougars, Ford Mavericks and Mercury Comets.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-1973-production-plants

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 2 months later...

To keep the conversation going, my initial thought was that since the first VIN for each year is supposed to be 100001, the following should apply:

In 1971, there were 149,682 Mustangs built, so the last VIN should be 249682.

In 1972, there were 125,093 Mustangs built, so the last VIN should be 225093.

In 1973, there were 134,867 Mustangs built, so the last VIN should be 234867.

...but I KNOW this is not correct because my 1973 Grandé has a VIN of 244824.

So, I may be mistaken in thinking that the Mustang line begin with VIN 100001. Then again, there may be other factors at work. Perhaps some of you may be able to provide additional insight.

Great Posting, Ray!

BT

My 1973 Mach 1 is 254041.

I posted this in another thread but thought it a better fit here:

This thread contains some very good info about a vehicle's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number aka serial number) and the sequential unit number.

To use this last 6 digits of the VIN, again known as the sequential unit number, to determine placement on the assembly line for production related dates just provides general info and is not very accurate. For those with Marti reports on their cars - the other production info along with the VINs help to dig deeper. Once an order received a VIN (serialized), and then for some reason the same order was cancelled - those VINs were not reused. So every VIN number (numerically counting) does not equal an actual car produced. And if you see a series of VINs in numerical sequence, they were probably not on the line one behind the other!!! FYI I have heard of a few very rare exceptions to this...

I sure hope this helps.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)