Very original Metuchen M-code '71 Mach 1

cudak888

Thanks for the welcome wagon, gentlemen.

Welcome from Olympia WA.

Your 71 was produced 1 month prior to mine, I also couldn't help but noticing your Blue Toyota TRD Sport truck in the background, I have the same one. Looking forward to seeing future pics or your Mustang.

Jim

A Metuchen, NJ car, by any chance?...-Kurt

Nope it was built at Deaborn for the Seattle ordering district and sold new at Toppenish WA, it's been in Washington State it's whole life.

Jim

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 1T05M as well. Build date of 10/70.

FE177109-A1-C8-4-A6-C-9224-AACCFD66-C3-C9.png

Rick Bombard

1971 Grabber Green Mach 1 351C 4V

2013 Race Red California Special Convertible

1973 Medium Copper Metallic Convertible 302 4V     SOLD

1953 F-100 SOLD

Ok, here come the requested shots. First, under the hood:

71_mustang_11.jpg

I did a preliminary inspection today - even though the master cylinder was dry, it holds fluid under pressure. Radiator is full of white crapola, water pump isn't as bad as I thought it was (though the lower hose is definitely trash), and the one spark plug I pulled was sooty, but otherwise fine - probably a rich mixture.

Carb is an Autolite 4300 - may or may not be the original. D10FAAA part number, which would suggest a possible replacement - possibly early in the car's life:

71_mustang_12.jpg

71_mustang_13.jpg

Now for the interior and the rather unusual two-spoke wheel (at least, I haven't seen one in an online photo yet):

71_mustang_9.jpg

71_mustang_10.jpg

Here are the underbody shots, which sold me on this particular car. They are unreasonably clean for a car that has sat for 10 years:

71_mustang_5.jpg

71_mustang_6.jpg

71_mustang_7.jpg

Here's the bit under the corner where the fender was hit. Not a good picture, but the frame rail appears to have no buckling based on a quick visual inspection. I might be lucky.

71_mustang_8.jpg

Great car and welcome to the site from Mustang Oklahoma. Please keep every piece you take off of the car. Find a body shop good enough to save what is there even if it is cheaper to replace the parts with reproduction parts. Please take pictures of even the most mundane items. These car are under documented and every piece of information helps everyone. 71 was the last year Mustangs were produced in NJ. It will be a great car, congrats. Chuck

Welcome to the club from northern Nevada. Glad to have you here!

As others have said, document as much as possible and post it here. Our cars (as well as the others you shared with us) have data that is hard to come by in many respects. Thanks for posting it up!

Data, eh? How about some decals and fender tags?

71_mustang_14.jpg

71_mustang_15.jpg

71_mustang_16.jpg

I'd be more than glad to take any additional photos.

I have my fingers crossed that a build sheet will show itself.

Mind you, I was not too happy to find this under the hood. Lousy Chrysler ATF+3. Looks like I might have a tranny flush in my future:

71_mustang_17.jpg

Shift gate is off too. Slips between reverse and neutral without depressing the button.

His is a '79. Here's a the garage link to it: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1979-ford-thunderbird

When I was 8, 9, 10...some young age, my mother bought a dark blue '78 Continental that looked identical to yours. I remember the power vent windows. That car was awesomely comfortable. Yours looks fantastic. Post some more pics of them in your garage.

Are either cars your daily driver?

Beautiful example. I believe the Chamois Glow color is the same color as the 5K Chamois on the Mark V.

The '79 was a daily driver until a rock shattered the rear window - which pressed me to do the vinyl job (window is under the vinyl), and in the process, work on 4 significant rust spots. I'm converting the car to an opera window delete example, for sake of preventing future rust - those windows are nothing but water traps. Here is a picture build log of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43240189@N03/sets/72157630695765748/with/7761002492/

Excuse the tacking job - the welding rod was twice the size necessary for the sheet metal. I need to buy some 1/16".

7622145994_f9fd16a06b_b.jpg

Here it is under the hood. 400 CID; essentially a 351C with a taller deck height and a camshaft masquerading as a solid steel rod. Puts out a measly ~180 HP - sink your foot into the floor, and it'll charge like nobody's business - right until it gets to 5mph. Nothing happens after that!

79_underhood.jpg

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

IMG_5029.thumb.jpg.0534ed6b048423acbb40ff5120fd1a10.jpgIMG_4980.thumb.jpg.2925c478f1579346194a7ad481fb8af5.jpg2079032272_mach027.thumb.jpg.80adf09b0ba9811861a6edeba6190648.jpgHi Kurt: Great find you have there in a 71 M Code. Would love to find such here in the Tampa Bay area. Rare to find a lover of 71-73 Mustangs and older Ford luxury vehicles. Love seeing your "battleships". Per comments from Don, I've attached a picture of my "Million Mile" 1979 Bird Daily Driver in Chamois Glow. 302-2v; Everything works. Runs perfect. I also restore 77-79 Birds as a hobby. Attached is an example of one I just restored: 1978 Bird, Diamond Jubilee in Polar White; 400-2v. They ride much better than the Mustangs!

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

Welcome from Southern california, nice find.

a shout out from my VAN down by the RIVER!!!

nice collection love the Bruthas cars!!! :D

67 Diamond Blue Vert

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRveIaRU6OAzTfd2Mv6ypGH49BZcPU7MS_7PBKhiOmpmJJrHJ_B_Q

DUDE

LOL even my sig line offended somebody!

Just finished a video of picking up the car - enjoy!

[video=youtube]

-Kurt

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

Great Video.....although I almost expected to see a Vista Cruiser Station wagon in the next door neighbours driveway ....from That 70's show!

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

nice find,good luck with fixing her up

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT*****KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE PEDAL

Ron

1972 mustang convertible

2005 mustang convertible

1999 mustang convertible white (sold)

1994 mustang convertible white (sold)

2008 ford edge copper

2006 cadillac cts radaint bronze

Hi Kurt and Welcome to the forum from Luxembourg/Europe. I watched several of your videos and I love them. You obviously have a certain talent there. Keep it up.

Oh by the way, your looks really match the cars. Great!

:-)

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Thank you, gentlemen! Videography is a hobby (and occasional business) for me, so I try to put it to use whenever possible. The YouTube Partnership Program helps too - with any luck, I can recoup some of the repair costs by making videos about the car.

What camera and video software do you use? It looks top notch.

For editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects from the CS5.5 Master Collection. The video was shot with two different cameras - a consumer-grade (but excellent in every way) Canon HV40 (shoots 1080i, 30 or 24p, CMOS sensor), and a professional-grade JVC GY-HD110 (720p, 30 or 24p, 3CCD sensor).

The "detailing brush" and "everything wrong with the car" footage was shot with the HV40, while the uncovering/pushing/tow truck footage was done with the HD110.

The footage blew out (note the excess white) when tracking the tow truck, but since I was filming with the camera above my head in the backseat (of a 2013 Mustang convertible), I couldn't control the automatic iris (some of it was shot blind too - I didn't have an external monitor either). Nevertheless, the HD110 doesn't suffer from rolling shutter (the "jello" effect you might see in some onboard YouTube videos) when you're moving at a high rate of speed.

Great Video.....although I almost expected to see a Vista Cruiser Station wagon in the next door neighbours driveway ....from That 70's show!

I'm not a GM buff, but I'm all for as many old cars as possible in the neighborhood ;) . As far as Mustangs go, there's a '69 Shelby convertible about a block away, and a '65/66 notchback rotting in the back of a house. There was another early '65 notchback rotting away in the neighborhood about 10 years ago too (before it disappeared without a trace) - the engine and tranny had been pulled from it. If I'm not mistaken, it was essentially a giant backyard play car for the kids at that house. Gotta raise them right, eh?

Hi Kurt and Welcome to the forum from Luxembourg/Europe. I watched several of your videos and I love them. You obviously have a certain talent there. Keep it up.

Thanks - and believe me, the clothes are no coincidence. The blue shirt in the opening is a '70s Norm Thompson, the jeans a pair of orange-label boot-cut Levis, and the tan pants part of a complete 1970's Sears 3-piece polyester suit - note the wide leg. I freely confess to having about 10 different jackets from the period as well, including a check jacket that might as well have come from the wardrobe of one of Cal Worthington's used car dealers.

-Kurt

Thank you, gentlemen! Videography is a hobby (and occasional business) for me, so I try to put it to use whenever possible. The YouTube Partnership Program helps too - with any luck, I can recoup some of the repair costs by making videos about the car.

What camera and video software do you use? It looks top notch.

For editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects from the CS5.5 Master Collection. The video was shot with two different cameras - a consumer-grade (but excellent in every way) Canon HV40 (shoots 1080i, 30 or 24p, CMOS sensor), and a professional-grade JVC GY-HD110 (720p, 30 or 24p, 3CCD sensor).

The "detailing brush" and "everything wrong with the car" footage was shot with the HV40, while the uncovering/pushing/tow truck footage was done with the HD110.

The footage blew out (note the excess white) when tracking the tow truck, but since I was filming with the camera above my head in the backseat (of a 2013 Mustang convertible), I couldn't control the automatic iris (some of it was shot blind too - I didn't have an external monitor either). Nevertheless, the HD110 doesn't suffer from rolling shutter (the "jello" effect you might see in some onboard YouTube videos) when you're moving at a high rate of speed.

I'm not a GM buff, but I'm all for as many old cars as possible in the neighborhood ;) . As far as Mustangs go, there's a '69 Shelby convertible about a block away, and a '65/66 notchback rotting in the back of a house. There was another early '65 notchback rotting away in the neighborhood about 10 years ago too (before it disappeared without a trace) - the engine and tranny had been pulled from it. If I'm not mistaken, it was essentially a giant backyard play car for the kids at that house. Gotta raise them right, eh?

Thanks - and believe me, the clothes are no coincidence. The blue shirt in the opening is a '70s Norm Thompson, the jeans a pair of orange-label boot-cut Levis, and the tan pants part of a complete 1970's Sears 3-piece polyester suit - note the wide leg. I freely confess to having about 10 different jackets from the period as well, including a check jacket that might as well have come from the wardrobe of one of Cal Worthington's used car dealers.

-Kurt

I want to be more like you when I grow up.

spacer.png

New threads on the carb swap and re-routing the PCV system are here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-carb-swap-options-with-4300a-equipped-m-code-71-351c

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-re-plumbing-the-factory-pcv-to-a-holley-4150-4160

I want to be more like you when I grow up.

But it's hell to get old. :D

-Kurt

I think they are mutually exclusive topics. I'm already getting older but as I further age I hope to maintain a youthful outlook.

You'll have it running great very soon with that carb. I look forward to seeing your progress.

spacer.png

Hello all,

I started a thread about a month ago about this find, and was lucky enough to buy it from the original owner (who I had to track down - he had moved out of state) last week.

EDIT: VIDEO NOW AVAILABLE HERE:

[video=youtube]

Just got it back home today - haven't had a chance to do anything to it save give it a wash. If it wasn't for the quarter-panel damage and mold in the interior, it looks almost showroom new. It's been sitting on a concrete driveway slab since 1978, and the undercarriage and unibody are not to be believed for a car that has been parked outdoors since 2002.

It's an early '71 - build date 11/70 on the door tag - with a New Jersey VIN code - 1T05M. It also has a two-spoke steering wheel which I've never seen in any other '71 Mustang interior photos, and the Sports Wheel Covers (which, from the look of internet photos, don't seem to be that popular).

I haven't had time to take many photos - spent most of the day doing a video log of it - but here is what I have at the moment:

71_mustang_1.jpg

71_mustang_2.jpg

71_mustang_3.jpg

The bad part:

71_mustang_4.jpg

-Kurt

Hey Kurt,

Welcome to the forum, from Northeastern, PA. Fantastic video, very well done! Best of luck with the car!

Sincerely,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I might have found the original dealer too - or at least the dealership that sold the OEM spare rim as of 2/03/71 - Bill Austin Ford:

71_mustang_billaustinford_1.jpg

71_mustang_billaustinford_2.jpg

Address reads:

Austin Ford Inc.

3801 N.W. 27th Ave

Miami, Florida 33147

I checked the location in Google Maps. It's either the current location of the Wendy's, or the empty lot next to it, which is now home to a cheap used car dealership that sells nothing but ex-taxi and police Crown Vics. Couple of long-wheelbase P70's in their lot too; some cars must be from NYC then.

EDIT: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/316505-any-vmfers-miami.html

-Kurt

Looks like that label has weathered well over the years.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Looks like that label has weathered well over the years.

It should have - trunk is half open to the elements with the taillights out and the trunk bent.

-Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, for those keeping up with the progress, here are the current threads on the car:

T-stat housing conversion (for Duraspark II clearance): http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-351c-to-45-degree-thermostat-housing

Tried to find a build sheet...and didn't: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-pulled-the-driver-s-side-carpet-today

Carb swap to Holley 4160: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-carb-swap-options-with-4300a-equipped-m-code-71-351c

-Kurt

Started her up today. Didn't even have to adjust the carb. It idles and revs perfectly. No dieseling either, without a dashpot.

-Kurt