Oil pan or rear main leak?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
I am trying to figure this out--my 351C has leaked since the rebuild. Today I got under it and took a closer look. I pulled the small cover off the bellhousing and it is dry inside, the oil is coming out between the pan and the block plate. I would think if it were the rear main, there would be oil inside the bellhouse. Does anyone know any better way to diagnose this?

I think it is likely you've done it. However I have seen two instances where the cam bore plug was leaking a very small amount between the block and the block plate, PITA to fix but...... Chuck

The oil leak is fixed! Turned out to be the rear pan gasket. The rubber piece somehow popped out on one end while I was installing the pan so that was the source of the leak. It was immediately obvious as soon as I pulled the pan.

This is one leaky car. So far, I have fixed:

- Cowl leak (a several month rust repair project)

- Rear window leak

- Rear diff leak (one of the nuts/bolts was leaking)

- Trans modulator leak

- Transmission yoke leak

- Power steering pump leak

- Power steering hose leak

- Oil pan gasket leak

So I think I may have one more to deal with. I put some fresh cardboard under it to watch the transmission pan. But, I am making progress!

The oil leak is fixed! Turned out to be the rear pan gasket. The rubber piece somehow popped out on one end while I was installing the pan so that was the source of the leak. It was immediately obvious as soon as I pulled the pan.

This is one leaky car. So far, I have fixed:

- Cowl leak (a several month rust repair project)

- Rear window leak

- Rear diff leak (one of the nuts/bolts was leaking)

- Trans modulator leak

- Transmission yoke leak

- Power steering pump leak

- Power steering hose leak

- Oil pan gasket leak

So I think I may have one more to deal with. I put some fresh cardboard under it to watch the transmission pan. But, I am making progress!
Sounds like you'll be able to paint that garage floor pretty soon! :p

Back