Auto meter gauges in-dash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 429 cu. in. C6 Auto
2007 Mustang GT Convertible 2002 Lincoln Continental
2006 Toyota Corolla S Type
2006 Honda Goldwing
Has anyone installed autometer gauges in the dash of their stangs? If so what diameter gauges did you use?

Also has anyone installed a 5" tach on top of the dash or somewhere else in your view? I cant seem to find a good place if not in the dash for it to go!!!!!,

Look on ebay. Ive purchased adapters to hold 5 inchers.

I haven't done it yet but its inline with interior.

i have,.. i used 2 5" units (rpms and odo/miles) and 1 2 1/16 for the fuel

i took the stock unit and unscrewed everything until i had only this left

DSC01239.jpg

slide the new gauges in from the front

DSC01242.jpg

and then you have this..

DSC01243.jpg

If it's just a tach and you have an automatic you can hose clamp it to the shifter ring in front of tha turn signals. Just be sure to tighten it down with the car in drive centered at the top. When you put it in park it will move to your left.

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

and then you have this..

DSC01243.jpg
Looks good, did you rewire the turn signals or use a portion of the printed circuit?

I had a dash assembly that had a clock to the left of the speedometer. The clock was not repairable so I transferred the guts of this tach that I had bought locally onto the clock support cover in the rear. It has been working fine since 2004. It cost about $25 back then. It is very responsive to engine revs unlike a factory tach that lags behind the engine revs.

Click on 'tach' for details.

1185_31_08_12_7_25_49.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

and then you have this..

DSC01243.jpg
Wow! That looks great and exactly what I want to do. so what did you do to secure the gauges in the back? Just use the hardwareThat came with the gauges?

Thanks for the pics!!!

Looks great Ben! Something I wished I had done! I ordered the new printed circuit after debating new guages. I particularly like the tach I was planning on removing the stock idiot lights as I installed a set of gauges and putting the tach there. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks !!

Looks great Ben! Something I wished I had done! I ordered the new printed circuit after debating new guages. I particularly like the tach I was planning on removing the stock idiot lights as I installed a set of guages and putting the tach there. Keep up the good work.
i was debating myself on that at the time, i had a clock originally in it, the clock was not functioning, the mechanics inside were gummed up, and no moving parts anymore, the circuit was fried as well, so it was an easy decision..

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

and then you have this..

DSC01243.jpg
Did yor slide the speedo & tach in from the front or are the placed in the back of the housing? Do you have a pic of the back?

at these pictures they are place at the back, now they slide in from the front, and sorry, i have no picture from the back of them sorry..

P1010459.jpg

this is how they sit now..

That looks really good. Only thing that keeps me from doing that is because mine has metric speedo and odometer. First that is pretty rare and second, why replace metric with imperial when we have the metric system here?

It would be like taking a step back. But I definitely like the looks of those modern gauges, especially as mine is not looking stock anymore.

Back