alot of money any ideas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemach1ford

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach1 with 429
so i really am in need of some advice so far all the research on all the overdrives and different combos the gear vendor behind my c6 is the best way to go any one use one before ?alot of people think its way to much i dont understand the need of a locking converter and with the 429 i want to hit the freeways of america,currently there is a 456 locker in it so i do know,how to navigate without the use of I95.i will change to ??350s but for the price unlimited horsepower warranty,only driveshaft has to be shotened i would have to shorten mine anyway im just changing to the 429 now so im willing to hear all sides and ideas the main thing is its not a drag car its a luxury car vintage air scat seats i want to travel all over the united states in it,gas milage would be acceptable,power on demand low revs means longevity,those are my thought again anyone with thoughts r welcome appreciate the time and opionions

A good overdrive automatic would accomplish the same thing for alot less money IMO. I think the 3.50 gears and overdrive is pretty on target.
i would like my rpms to be about 2300 at 80mph with a 30in tire

Steve,

I believe yor right on with the Gear Vendors. I understand that you want to keep your current performance and have the ability to drive highway speeds. Nothing wrong with that, and have the increased mpgs that will go with the Gear Vendors. If you do it, please include pictures on a post. I also want to do it and keep my originality, with the ability to drive highway speeds at a lower rpm.

You may have to alter your exhaust some to make room. I believe it would make your car into what you want!

While some don't get it, I say You Rock. :D

I had a Gear Vendor in my 88 F250 460 C6 4X4. I cant say enough good things about it. It took the 4.10s and turned them into 3.25 in 3rd over. The RPM dropped by 7-800 RPMs. Their not cheap but you will NOT break it. I towed a 16k 40ft 5th wheel toy hauler with the truck and my MPG went from 3 maybe 4 MPG towing to 6-7. Empty went from 8 to a solid 11. A buddy of mine has one in his daily driver 55 chevy 502 big block. He has been running it for 10 years or more.

Are you against the idea of a manual transmission? The Tremec TKO-600 is really nice.

A good overdrive automatic would accomplish the same thing for alot less money IMO. I think the 3.50 gears and overdrive is pretty on target.
+1

An AOD has a .67 final gear ratio. At 2300 RPM with a 30" tire and 3.70 rear gear your MPH would be 82.8 MPH. A built up AOD can handle the torque. See Lentech Automatics who also have a lifetime warranty.

That would be the route I would go to meet your specifications. Gear vendors are nice but pricy and you have to think a little and shift it.

The TKO-600 is a great 5 speed option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have kicked around the ideas as well. My heart tells me a 5/6 speed manual would be the most fun. Swapping in a AOD would be cheaper but require a little more modification. The gear vendors is a little more expensive, easier to install and gives you both overdrive and the extra split gears. In the case of our convertibles (our being the group, not you and me), I think the expense is a little higher since I just don't think the GV will fit inside the tunnel on the standard unit. That means getting the 'shorty' GV version (a little more money) and tearing apart the transmission to install it (a little more money). But I learned on this board I am running to tight of a converter so I have to yank the tranny anyways.

My understanding of the GV is you select if you want it to automatically go into OD or if you manually do it. The default after each ignition cycle (stop/start) is it goes back into automatic. In this mode, your transmission will shift through the 3 gears and then the OD kicks in at a certain speed.

i love me my tko600. however, all you got to do is cut down on your OEM brake pedal and send in your bracket to mustang steve for a rollerized bearing hanger for the clutch pedal. the clutch pedal is remade by www.moderndriveline.com. i love the cable clutch but i did flirt with the idea of going hydromax.

with the AOD, its a good idea since alot of people are doing it with great success.

i have 26 inch tires, 3.70 gear and i'm cruising at 70mph at 2200rpms. a 30 inch tire with 3.50 gears and a .067 over drive will take you below 2000rpms on the cruise. hopefully your motor is efficient at that low of an rpm.

my vote for you is either the tko600 for a 429 bbf (like me) or go with the aod. those gearvenders just seems goofy in a classic car.

I have a TKO600 in my '68 with a stroked Windsor. It was a pretty straight forward swap (from the C4). and the tunnel in the '68 is smaller than that if the '71-'73.

I also had a t56 in a supercharged 393w in my '95 GT. it certainly handled 550rwhp and there is always the T56 magnum.

As for Modern Driveline, you can call Bruce and order everything you need from the trans, install kit, pedal and the clutch.

I have a TKO600 in my '68 with a stroked Windsor. It was a pretty straight forward swap (from the C4). and the tunnel in the '68 is smaller than that if the '71-'73.

I also had a t56 in a supercharged 393w in my '95 GT. it certainly handled 550rwhp and there is always the T56 magnum.

As for Modern Driveline, you can call Bruce and order everything you need from the trans, install kit, pedal and the clutch.
the t56 will require a large trans tunnel mod.

Steve,

I believe yor right on with the Gear Vendors. I understand that you want to keep your current performance and have the ability to drive highway speeds. Nothing wrong with that, and have the increased mpgs that will go with the Gear Vendors. If you do it, please include pictures on a post. I also want to do it and keep my originality, with the ability to drive highway speeds at a lower rpm.

You may have to alter your exhaust some to make room. I believe it would make your car into what you want!

While some don't get it, I say You Rock. :D
thanks,im looking to do it in the next 2 months ill post up thnks

I had a Gear Vendor in my 88 F250 460 C6 4X4. I cant say enough good things about it. It took the 4.10s and turned them into 3.25 in 3rd over. The RPM dropped by 7-800 RPMs. Their not cheap but you will NOT break it. I towed a 16k 40ft 5th wheel toy hauler with the truck and my MPG went from 3 maybe 4 MPG towing to 6-7. Empty went from 8 to a solid 11. A buddy of mine has one in his daily driver 55 chevy 502 big block. He has been running it for 10 years or more.
ya alot of guys ive seen have them many years,and allways hold value

Are you against the idea of a manual transmission? The Tremec TKO-600 is really nice.
ya had some bad luck,in the form of c2 c5 c6 c7,, L2,3,4 so shifting all the time is not an option,hey i took a bunch of pics of my cluster its not totally done will be soon but ill try to send them tnite

+1

An AOD has a .67 final gear ratio. At 2300 RPM with a 30" tire and 3.70 rear gear your MPH would be 82.8 MPH. A built up AOD can handle the torque. See Lentech Automatics who also have a lifetime warranty.

That would be the route I would go to meet your specifications. Gear vendors are nice but pricy and you have to think a little and shift it.

The TKO-600 is a great 5 speed option.
i will check that rite now thnks,alot to go with od i have a good c6 so just driveshaft,work ,plus thanks i forgot about them

I have kicked around the ideas as well. My heart tells me a 5/6 speed manual would be the most fun. Swapping in a AOD would be cheaper but require a little more modification. The gear vendors is a little more expensive, easier to install and gives you both overdrive and the extra split gears. In the case of our convertibles (our being the group, not you and me), I think the expense is a little higher since I just don't think the GV will fit inside the tunnel on the standard unit. That means getting the 'shorty' GV version (a little more money) and tearing apart the transmission to install it (a little more money). But I learned on this board I am running to tight of a converter so I have to yank the tranny anyways.

My understanding of the GV is you select if you want it to automatically go into OD or if you manually do it. The default after each ignition cycle (stop/start) is it goes back into automatic. In this mode, your transmission will shift through the 3 gears and then the OD kicks in at a certain speed.
It depends which mode the GV is on auto or manual. When my wife would drive the truck she would switch it to auto and it would shift to 3rd over after 45mph. Then it would shut it self off at 15mph. I didn't care for auto mode because of that. Once it turned on it stayed on till you slowed down to 15mph. Other wise I kept it in manual shift. It did not default to auto when the key was cycled. If it was on manual mode it would not turn on till you hit the dimmer switch on the floor. Their is no question the truck was allot quicker spiting 2nd and 3rd gears.:cool:

I hope you don't think I was putting down the idea of an automatic. I say get what you want. I just thought the TKO was a very straight forward swap. As for the Gear Vendor unit, I hope you document that. I was actually considering that for my '79 Bronco.

I hope you don't think I was putting down the idea of an automatic. I say get what you want. I just thought the TKO was a very straight forward swap. As for the Gear Vendor unit, I hope you document that. I was actually considering that for my '79 Bronco.
I didn't get that feeling...

And last night I went to sleep dreaming of a manual 5 speed so who knows...

i checked the lentech,still seems like alot of money too,gv seems so easy,thanks for all the opinons,hoping i do the rite thing could buy alot with 3000,i will be patient,

Back