Electric fan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to go with electric fan, better cooling, and less horsepower drain.

Anyone try Flex a Lite Black Magic 160 or 180 ? Any ideas welcome.
I'm running an electric fan just remember to get the most cfm possible. Mine also runs off a thermostat, but that was my choice

I'm running a 2-speed fan out of a Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest, got it at my local pick-and-pull for $30. I had to trim the shroud on it a tad and make some brackets to mount it, but it covers the majority of my rad and it works amazing and moves a ton of air. Here is a picture of it from last year before I installed the engine.

IMGP6762.jpg

I would venture to say a couple...however, remember your electric fan does not turn your water pump.

The water pump probably uses 5-8 hp.

Some of these fans can draw as much as 75A at startup. What are you guys using as relay for your setup? Are you using some sort of controller/temp switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of these fans can draw as much as 75A at startup. What are you guys using as relay for your setup? Are you using some sort of controller/temp switch?
yes mine is a complete unit with the controls and relay built in one unit

a easier solution instead of electrics would be a fan clutch. i wanted to go to a electric but i dont know my 100amp alternator would of like it so i just went with a fan clutch. its way different than a fully engaged fan like my last one.

its cheap too, i went to a junkyard and the whole set up for 25 dollars. any one for the same motor off of a f150 or whatever will work. i got a fan clutch from a 96 7.5 motor and the fan off of a 90 5.0 f150. worked great then i wanted another blade and a life time warranty clutch so i got a 30 dollar lifetime warranty clutch from autozone and ordered a 6blade fan from summit for 40. thats 70 dollars and its unleashing alot of power, not as much as a electric fan but its noticable.

i belive a std duty fan clutch only pulls the fan 50-65% of the total speed of the crank when not needed. and it fully engages only when needed and thats probably at idle. when you're going down the track, it'll probably disengage as much as it can.

In case anyone is interested, my daily driven '95 Mustang had a 393w with a Vortech supercharger and made over 550rwhp. I ran a Fluidyne radiator for a '94-'95 mustang with the stock electric fan and it worked great.

Back