Power to Manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
Never Done.
Anyone switch their steering from Power to manual ? Is it a Big pain in the you know what. Like the fell of manual, just don't want to spend a lot to change it. Maybe I just need to rebuild or get a rebuilt box for mine, they are also pricey.

Anyone switch their steering from Power to manual ? Is it a Big pain in the you know what. Like the fell of manual, just don't want to spend a lot to change it. Maybe I just need to rebuild or get a rebuilt box for mine, they are also pricey.
Just wait until you have to do a 3 point turn around with 2 feet on each side because of the knucklehead that parked to close and boxed you in. I think you'll really miss that power steering.

I'm looking at going to a power steering box with a quicker ratio and more "feel". Many of the GM guys are using a mid 90s Jeep Grand Cherokee box, 3 bolt mounting pattern, 12.7:1 ratio. That should quicken the steering and add better road feel. I need to pick one up at the pick a part and try it out.

NAPA will send your box in, have it rebuilt, and returned to you for about $200 including freight. Turn around time is about 3 weeks. Chuck

There is a way to have both manual and power steering, sort of. By using an electric power steering pump you can either dial in how much assist you want or even run the pump off of a switch so that you can turn it on at low speeds.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Electronic%20Power%20Steering.html

My dad was thinking about using this method instead of running power steering line on his Fiero which never had power steering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not dont that, but I do have a spare box I will sell. $50

Back