Re-plumbing the factory PCV to a Holley 4150/4160

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
Hello all,

For those of you reading my carb swap post (http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-carb-swap-options-with-4300a-equipped-m-code-71-351c) will know that I've decided to mount a 600 CFM Holley 4160 to the stock manifold on my '71.

This has brought up a (relatively minor) issue regarding the PCV plumbing. The original Autolite 4300A has a ridiculously huge 1/2" port at the back from which the PCV is connected to, via a matching 1/2" hose that connects directly to the PCV:

mustang_pcv_1.jpg

On the other hand, the Holley 4160 has a 3/8" connection at the passenger's side for the purpose:

mustang_pcv_2.jpg

That got me to thinking (when thinking becomes dangerous ;) ) about the factory PVC plumbing on my '79 Lincoln Continental, which has a similar 3/8" port on the back of its Autolite 2150 2-barrel (made by Holley for Ford, IIRC), and a 90-degree PCV valve with a 3/8" connection:

mustang_pcv_3.jpg

mustang_pcv_4.jpg

The PCV tube, I might add, slides into the 3/8" port at the back, and is sealed with the short bit of hose you see here.

Needless to say, I dare say it'll probably be easier to use the 3/8" PCV valve in connection with the Holley, but given the pressure on the line, it begs the following question:

Should I go nuts and:

A. Have a 3/8" steel line custom bent for the purpose - or bend and flare it (the tube on the '79 has a push-connect flare to prevent it from sliding too deep into the carb) myself?

or go sane and

B. Use push-lock 3/8" fuel hose?

Near as I can figure it, the push-lock hose should be strong enough, and - unlike the steel line - will not result in metal-to-metal contact between hose and intake manifold.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would make one up myself. Use a metal coat hanger and bend it the way you would like the line to be. Be sure to allow plenty at the bends. 3/8's tubing benders are pretty cheap, as well as the tubing at autozone or where ever.

I think I would make one up myself. Use a metal coat hanger and bend it the way you would like the line to be. Be sure to allow plenty at the bends. 3/8's tubing benders are pretty cheap, as well as the tubing at autozone or where ever.
+1. Mark nailed it.

I ran into the same problem when swapping on a Holley. Both the first 4 barrel I put no and then later with 2300 (two barrel) They both have a smaller connector and it is on the 'wrong' side.

I simply put the pcv on the passenger side. I don't think it matters which side it is on.

1024.jpg

I ran into the same problem when swapping on a Holley. Both the first 4 barrel I put no and then later with 2300 (two barrel) They both have a smaller connector and it is on the 'wrong' side.
EDIT: Won't work on the stock covers. The recirculation to the air cleaner is located on that side - it's not a straight-up breather.

-Kurt

It depends on what look you are going for. When I swapped on the 4 barrel I also put on an open air motorsport air cleaner so the 'stock' look was basically done for, it had a location in the base of the air cleaner for the 'in cleaner filter'. It was easy to rotate it to a clean looknig position. My current setup doesn't have a place for a filter in the air cleaner. A chrome breather like I have wouln't look too much out of place on a stock motor. You could even stick a motorcraft sticker on it. ;)

Just checked. I forgot about the PCV recirculation to the air cleaner - no chance of swapping the location.

It depends on what look you are going for. When I swapped on the 4 barrel I also put on an open air motorsport air cleaner so the 'stock' look was basically done for, it had a location in the base of the air cleaner for the 'in cleaner filter'. It was easy to rotate it to a clean looknig position. My current setup doesn't have a place for a filter in the air cleaner. A chrome breather like I have wouln't look too much out of place on a stock motor. You could even stick a motorcraft sticker on it. ;)
One of the things I will not compromise on is the stock air cleaner. I love it, and it isn't going anywhere.

Stock 1970's-era Ford is the look I want, though I'm willing to accept Duraspark II and the Holley. That's just about it.

-Kurt

I'd go with Mark's idea then. The bent tube will add to the stock look. You might try to run it almost all the way to the pcv valve, that would look kind of sharp and finished. In the very least I would take it between the firewall and the throttle bracket. Keeps it out of the way of the kick down and such.

Just finished the line. The fuel hose that I'm using in the photos is too soft; it's use was purely to check fit.

For those curious, the PCV valve is a Purolator PV68C - Advance Auto's cross-reference will bring it up if you search for a 1979 Lincoln Continental (400 CID). As it was convenient, I made the line from a 3 foot section of 3/8" brake line that was also at Advance.

First picture shows the line already bent; I'm testing the initial routing (which I later revised to run under the spark plugs as per the setup on the '78/79 Lincoln Continentals):

mustang_pcv_5.jpg

Line cut down to length and flanged. Flanging took longer than bending the tube, thanks to Advance Auto's loaner tool (a piece of crap, though what else is new?).

mustang_pcv_6.jpg

The Purolator PV68C, with a 90-degree 3/8" port. The top port is non-functional:

mustang_pcv_7.jpg

Painted (a bit out of place in bright Old Ford Blue, but better than bare steel and rust), and test fitted. Has quite the factory look, and that is exactly what I wanted:

mustang_pcv_8.jpg

mustang_pcv_9.jpg

-Kurt

Wow. Yeah, painted it totally gives the look you are going for. I imagine a lot of it is hidden by the air cleaner. looks really sharp.
Most - if not all of it - is hidden under the air cleaner. Unfortunate, but it'll keep me sane knowing that underneath the air cleaner is a job done the way I wanted it to be done.

Now if I would only get off my duff and Goo Gone that intake manifold (not to mention clean up the valve covers). The original paint is in great shape under the grime, and I haven't done much of anything than run a rag over it.

-Kurt

The top port on that pcv is functional, unless the plastic plug that comes with is inserted. If it's not plugged, put a vacuum cap on it or you'll have a vacuum leak.
I just double-checked it and the two otherwise identical PCV's on my Lincolns. It turns out the one on my '79 was cast with a small built-in break-off cover, and the other two were not. Capped the two that were open.

Thanks!

-Kurt

FYI, I wound up re-plumbing it with hard MarPac Premier fuel hose, which is bright medium blue. Not keen on the matchy-matchy appearance, but I'll be happy so long as it works correctly and reliably.

I'll post photos of the setup when I install the carburetor. Weather didn't cooperate with me today.

-Kurt

I simply put the pcv on the passenger side. I don't think it matters which side it is on.

1024.jpg
What is the breather that you're using with the PVC fitting in it (I think that's what I'm seeing)? The car that I just bought has aftermarket covers on it and no PVC hole in it, I've been debating just drilling a PVC grommet sized hole in the cover and putting it in (right now the PVC is just sitting on the intake manifold), but am worried that it would be a mess without a baffle under it.

Well dude thanks to you for sharing it i am very excited to see that you have lot of knowledge about it in according to me all the pipes have made of aluminium am i right dude? well i agree with you paint will change the form.what you say about it ????:):)
If you're referring to what I did, I bent the lines out of steel brake line.

-Kurt

The port on the carb you are using is for the vac advance. Doesnt your 4160 have a "power brake" vac fitting? The back of my 4150 had the port in the exact same place as the Autolote did. Was only slightly smaller. Holley calls it power brake port. Since ford used a vac tree on the back of the intake i just kept it the same. Was plug n play. Carb is 80783c

Back