Font bumper guards 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Has anyone ever heard about or actually seen factory front bumper guards on a 1973? It is a long story behind why I'm asking this question but I'd like to hear from as many people as possible. Thanks, Chuck

one of these threads you need to share your long story with us. No I have never seen them on a 73
OK, the story is as follows. On a lark I took the on-line MCA concours judge's test for 71-73 Mustangs. I knew I did not know the procedural questions but some of the "correct" answers to the technical questions shocked me, and a few made me laugh out loud. However, before I dismiss the questions as invalid or wrong I thought it would be best to poll this group about some of these questions. Perhaps what I think is correct isn't. Other questions indicated the antenna base was "square" instead of rectangular and 71 and 72 Magnum 500 center caps were the same "thickness" (before 4/1/71 they were .625 and after they were 1.000). I'm gathering data to get them to correct the test as well as a few of the judging criteria. It is probably just me tilting at windmills.

And now you know the rest of the story. Chuck

Brian, Thanks for the kind words but, I have no desire to be a head judge. Too much politics and being responsible for the actions and decisions of other people (been there, done that, didn't even get the T-shirt). Not to mention the costs and travel headaches associated with being a head judge. I just feel that if your going to judge a car based on specific criteria that the criteria must be based on well vetted, factual information. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people base their restoration decisions on the information contained in the MCA judging guides. The quality of the 71-73 cars whose owners choose to restore them can only get better if accurate information is made available. Wow, I talk too much. Time for a cold adult beverage. Chuck

Hopefully your efforts will not go unnoticed with the MCA. I can't imagine how front bumper guards would work on a 73 (unless exports had a different bumper).

Brian, Thanks for the kind words but, I have no desire to be a head judge. Too much politics and being responsible for the actions and decisions of other people (been there, done that, didn't even get the T-shirt). Not to mention the costs and travel headaches associated with being a head judge. I just feel that if your going to judge a car based on specific criteria that the criteria must be based on well vetted, factual information. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people base their restoration decisions on the information contained in the MCA judging guides. The quality of the 71-73 cars whose owners choose to restore them can only get better if accurate information is made available. Wow, I talk too much. Time for a cold adult beverage. Chuck
73 front bumper guards on the Urethane 5 mph DOT safety approved bumper? Not no but Heck no! Once that front bumper was approved I guarantee Ford's atty's would not let anyone change the design at all. They were happy to not have it look like the Jag or Triumph TR-6 which in my mind ruined the great looks of the cars! see pic below...

Thanks Chuck for helping to correct these obvious mistakes. I sure hope they listen to you (us).

BTW I've got a few old T-shirts that don't fit the 50+ yr old fat guy any more!!! ! rofl

Ray

2uo3scj.jpg

Back