Magnum 500 Center Caps - Repairs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDew

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Brite Lime, 351C Ram Air, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, Louvers, and more.
Does anyone have a technique for repairing the Magnum 500 center caps whose spring 'claws' have popped off the rivets? Also, any suggestions to keep the caps that haven't broken yet from popping their rivets??? I don't have a picture, but for those that can answer my questions, they know what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Dew

I put JB weld on the backside when mine popped of the torino. Just put the spring clip back on as best you can and then put the JB Weld on. Leave facedown until it sets up. Mine never came off again until someone stole all four!

I put JB weld on the backside when mine popped of the torino. Just put the spring clip back on as best you can and then put the JB Weld on. Leave facedown until it sets up. Mine never came off again until someone stole all four!
Thanks. I'll try that approach. Are there any ideas out there on how to make them theft-proof, or at least harder to get off the wheel? I know that NPD has a version of the center cap that has a backing plate and you can't take the cap out from the front side until you unscrew the plate from backside of the wheel with it off the car.

Does anyone have a technique for repairing the Magnum 500 center caps whose spring 'claws' have popped off the rivets? Also, any suggestions to keep the caps that haven't broken yet from popping their rivets??? I don't have a picture, but for those that can answer my questions, they know what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Dew

Thanks. I'll try that approach. Are there any ideas out there on how to make them theft-proof, or at least harder to get off the wheel? I know that NPD has a version of the center cap that has a backing plate and you can't take the cap out from the front side until you unscrew the plate from backside of the wheel with it off the car.
This isn't going to offer much relief for the rivets coming loose, but if you can get some decent ones , this works great for security:

A great friend had a Boss 302 who simply used a "C" clip and with wheel off the car, installed the cap. The C clip kept the fingers spread out and will not allow for removal from the front. Cheap and very effective.

Not sure what size, just have to experiment to get the right one for your caps.

Ray

Thanks

Dew

This isn't going to offer much relief for the rivets coming loose, but if you can get some decent ones , this works great for security:

A great friend had a Boss 302 who simply used a "C" clip and with wheel off the car, installed the cap. The C clip kept the fingers spread out and will not allow for removal from the front. Cheap and very effective.

Not sure what size, just have to experiment to get the right one for your caps.

Ray
I was just getting ready to reply with my solution, which is virtually the same as yours. I use spring circlips that were originally used to hold bearings in place for Roper pumps. I used to work on these pumps in a former job. Also an internal snap ring of the proper size would do. Just make sure when you get new tires that you remove the retaining devices or have the guy changing the tires to do so.

Thanks

Dew
I found the after market 15'sX 7's are cheaply assembled and chromed. Got 15'X 8's(rather newer addition, on the back right now, will see how they turn out in months to come from running on them and sitting in garage for the winter. Year one has some 18 and believe 19's that if not by same manufacturer might be a better bet so running on your stang. Just keep the 15X7's around for car shows, if you are running closer to stock. If and when you get them repaired, watch for the chrome but in anycase it might be cheaper in all these cases if that goes too, to just get another set as too expensive to send them to something like Pauls Chroming, ie SW PA or....do not know of cheaper places for rechroming, although not now as the issue, maybe checking with the those shops or original manufacturers about this. I know, for instance with a high tech EFI unit I installed by Holley, only Holley could assist when I ran into problems with it....

Back