cigarette lighter not charging electronics in 1971 Mach 1

My 1971 Mach 1 cigarette lighter works when I push in the lighter. It just wont' charge things like a GPS or phone. Is that normal for our Mustangs? Or, do I need to check some things out.

thanks,

Bobby

1971 Mach 1, 351-4V M Code, Ram Air, C-6 Auto

2007 Shebly GT, 5-Speed, Performance White

That's what I thought too. The chargers work just fine in my other vehicles. Just not the old Mach 1.

All it does is provide 12v, so if the lighter works I would look at the charger of the other things.

1971 Mach 1, 351-4V M Code, Ram Air, C-6 Auto

2007 Shebly GT, 5-Speed, Performance White

My experience has been that the chargers and such of today don't reach far enough into the socket on our cars.

1972 H-code Mach1

2010 GT Premium

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

1995 F150- The "home depot" machine

2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra

• 1 year later...

Stupid me cut the wire to the cigarette lighter charger and hard wired it for my GPS for the mustang.

Blew it in 2 seconds because the actual bit that went into the cigarette lighter also housed the electronics to drop it down to 5 volts!

Boy, what a lot of fun that was......not!

Image3.png

Jim

The pin at the end of any charger don't reach the contact. Before I picked up my car around Paris last year, I asked to the vendor if the lighter was working to connect my GPS to drive back home (500 miles), he sent me a picture of the lighter red like my coverall, but then when I wad ready to drive back home and connect my GPS, was not working.

I went back home anyway :)[/u]

Mustang, beer and rock'nroll

• 6 months later...

Here's what I did. I got me a cheap extension that has two outlets and even two USB outlets. Bought it at a gas station if I remember correctly. It has a cord that you would plug into a standard (modern) cigarette lighter. I clipped that plug off and looped the wires in parallel into the wires of the original lighter.

I glued the new outlet onto the side wall of the glovebox using double sided adhesive tape. That way I can charge phones by USB while using my GPS on one of the standard outlets. The wires can be routed through the gap at the bottom of the glove box door, so you can keep the glove box shut while you drive.

Easy and works like a charm.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

I plan on just buying an aftermarket "power outlet" from one of the local auto parts houses, and mounting it somewhere out of sight, then using that for the modern electronics, that way I can leave the original lighter as is.

1972 H-code Mach1

2010 GT Premium

I plan on just buying an aftermarket "power outlet" from one of the local auto parts houses, and mounting it somewhere out of sight, then using that for the modern electronics, that way I can leave the original lighter as is.

I think that may be the way to go. This is what I was thinking of mounting somewhere.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CA00/10242/N0225.oap?ck=Search_N0225_-1_632&pt=N0225&ppt=C0335

JHawk

J-Hawk-1-1.jpg

JHawk's Garage

Yep, something like that! Maybe below the dash on the passenger side.

1972 H-code Mach1

2010 GT Premium