Restoration updates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDM

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1971 Coupé
Hey Guys,

My summer holiday just start so I decided this was a good time to start with the mustang. Started on the inside considering I don't have a garage I can put it in. So far it's looking like this.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

I'm new to the whole "restoring cars" thing so if you think I need to know something don't hold back! :sleepy:

Thx Guys!

Rowan

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, it actually doesn't look bad at all. Appears you might have cowl leaks??? Remember if you put new metal in prior to repairing what caused them to rust, you'll be doing the repairs again. Looking forward to watching you're progress, thanks for sharing.

Jim

Ok so I've been busy this week with the mustang, spend half my time buying things but hey, I'll be needing it. So after posting the pics and getting the suggestion I might have a cowl leak I checked that and well he wasn't wrong.

photo 1 kopie.JPG

After that I started on the floor pans, cause of a the rust going under my seat frame I removed the seat frame to see how bad the damage was.

The seat frame itself didn't look so bad.. re-usable?

photo 4 kopie.JPG

photo 3 kopie.JPG

After cleaning up some rust this is what it looked like.

Decided to cut the completely rusted parts out.

photo 5.JPG

Going to clean up the frame rail tomorrow and see how that looks.

Rest of the time I've been removing a huge amout of tectyle, the previous owner thought he could just "tectyle" the rust away or something like that..

SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY WELCOME!!

looks better than mine. I just removed the front carpeting and underlay, and its spotted with rust, and i found a hole on the passenger side foot well. Did you have trouble removing the seat bolts closest to the shifter? The drivers side one on mine won't move.

That car is not looking too bad to start a restoration.

Keep us informed on how it's coming along.

JB

Look forward to seeing some progress. Any pics of the rest of the car?

Hey guys, I'm back..

SO, finally some off days for me, decided januari 1st would be a nice day to start again..

Started by putting it on some stands.

As you can see I was very happy to be able to go undertneath the car cause around is not really an option..

photo-4.JPG

Removed the gas tank. Than the liquid petrolium gast tank and trunk floor (completely ruined by rust)

b.JPG

e.JPG

Removed the doors, trunk lid, fenders and hood.

d.JPG

Started some grinding..

c.JPG

Some rusty spots I wasn't happy with..

f.JPG

g.JPG

Happy new year..

a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I'm back..

SO, finally some off days for me, decided januari 1st would be a nice day to start again..

Started by putting it on some stands.

As you can see I was very happy to be able to go undertneath the car cause around is not really an option..

Removed the gas tank. Than the liquid petrolium gast tank and trunk floor (completely ruined by rust)

Removed the doors, trunk lid, fenders and hood.

Started some grinding..

Some rusty spots I wasn't happy with..

Happy new year..
Tis but a scratch! :p Keep up the good work. Finding the damage is key.

Back