Chrome or not to chrome?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
Ok guys. We are making a tone of progress on the 71 and now I have started to make some changes.

We decided to go with a Mach 1 clone for the style and since I had most of the parts from the parts car. I was going to leave the standard grille but now I am thinking of replacing it. Any opinions?

If I do replace it would you keep the chrome fender extensions/ hood or change them to color matching? The bumper will remain chrome.

Thanks for the thoughts.

the Boss 351 used a chrome bumper with painted extensions, a slightly different stripe package and twist type hood locks. Both the Boss and all the Mach 1's used the Mach 1 (and decor package) grill with the turn signals built in.

For a true Mach 1 clone you will need to find a urethane front bumper, but since you are building it to make yourself happy, do what makes you happy.

the Boss 351 used a chrome bumper with painted extensions, a slightly different stripe package and twist type hood locks. Both the Boss and all the Mach 1's used the Mach 1 (and decor package) grill with the turn signals built in.

For a true Mach 1 clone you will need to find a urethane front bumper, but since you are building it to make yourself happy, do what makes you happy.
Thanks Jeff. I am on the fence here, but as the painter gets closer to painting the car, I will need to hop on one side. Orginally I was not going to replace the grill, but now I think I might, The next step would be to decide if I want to change the trim chrome (hood/fender extensions/bumper). The bumper is a no replace issue because I am not paying the $$ to buy a way overpriced part.

buy a used set of extensions and hood piece have painter paint them seperately and switch back and forth and see what you like better.

Mine has chrome bumper and extensions.

I will paint the extensions when the time comes.

Thanks everyone. Thought I would post two pictures so everyone can see them together. I love feedback BTW and I am not sold either direction (besides the fact I already own the chrome version and only 1 painted extension version).red71all chrome.jpgred-1971-mustang-boss-1712.jpg

Have you posted a WTB for the urethane bumper on this site. It seems like I've seen one or two sold at a fair price. It would bring it a lot closer to clone status. If you do use the chrome bumper I'd suggest using painted hood and fender extensions. Just my opinion. It is your car, do what you want. Chuck

Have you considered black chrome? Might look good and you'll be very unique.

Got to love this place, I painted my urethane bumper hot rod black along with the mirrors for a blacked out look to match the hood, bottom portion of the car and rear spoiler...what ever rocks your boat is the answer!

It's really hard to make our cars look ugly; it takes a lot of effort and what ever you do the bumper won't reach that threshold.

Jim

Back