Rechrome Dash parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
what is the best way to rechrome the Dashboard outlines. and center console.

my some of the chrome is all fadded, and I like to repair it or have it redone.

any sugestions?

It can be re-chromed (a company in Texas) but it is cost prohibitive compared to the reproduction which are pretty good compared to a lot of reproduction parts. I got mine from Don at OMS. Things can be done with aluminum tape and silver/chrome paint pens if you want to try that. Qcode351 has a write up her using the aluminum tape. Chuck

c9zx,

I did do the Chrome paint Pen, it just doesnt have the shine, I never thought of the Aluminum tape,

jeremycfr,

you are right they dont make Repo radio knobs, I have 2 sets of great looking ones, one set on the original AM radio, and I bought another from E-bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the best way to rechrome the Dashboard outlines. and center console.

my some of the chrome is all fadded, and I like to repair it or have it redone.

any sugestions?
The 3 pieces for the dash are 189.95

Also have new center bezel with out with out guages, with or without wood-grain

159.95 to 184.95

Don

Look close

There were completely chromed - then painted

Over the years I have tried chrome paint, chrome pin-stripe tape and a couple of other things. They just never looked right or good to me.

Chrome pin stripe tape was the best but hard to work around the corners.

If you try this, get automotive grade 1/4 inch wide chrome pin stipe tape - not duct / foil tape from home depot

seriously buy the reproduction parts, do not even bother anything else.

re-chroming is insanely expensive and frustrating, trust me i did it once never again.

in addition to what OMS has done, i also tried Bare Metal Foil, and Adcad II paint, all garbage.

when the repop stuff came out i snapped it up, best money spent ever.

the repops have some slight issues but you can work with them.

some tips:

1) If you drive the screws into the plastic posts on the repops, you will crack the plastic, it is delicate to stress.

with the dash panel piece sitting on the workbench

take a soldering iron heat it up fully. place a screw into a post so it just holds it. put the soldering iron on top of the screw, heat the sucker up until the plastic starts to melt and smoke, now fast take a screw driver and start screwing the screw in. the heat will melt as the screw goes in and there will be no stress on the plastic and it will carve out threads in the posts. You will have to do this for all the screw posts, that hold instruments, AC vents, the screws for the glove box panel (deluxe dash)etc....

2) the glove box surround repop has an issue with the 4 blind nuts that hold the panel to the dash frame. the studs are thinner then the original. What happens is the original blind nut hardware will not fit, they will be too big and not hold onto the studs at all. Go to Lowes they have a auto hardware section with blind nuts. Find a set of slightly smaller blind nuts then original, this solves the issue.

3) some of the early repops didn't have the center hole drilled in the lip of the panel. so you have to check to see if you need to drill more holes.

4) touch up paint, my panels were a little lightly painted on the edges and the chrome didn't look straight on the trim line i had to use some Semi gloss, black paint to touch it up.

I like the 1/4" chrome pin stripe idea from Don (OMS), but it sounds like the Repoduction parts are the easy way to go, and look new at the same time.

now it looks like I need to work on the funding for the repo parts!!!.. LOL

before i replaced mine, i did the pin chrome pin stripe tape thing. after a few weeks the tape would shrink in areas and the glue would pull off and wrinkle. i went through other tries with various stick on and glue on stuff. nothing worked or looked right. finally i painted the chrome on using a model paint pen. 1 year later when they repop panels came out i snatched them up.

If you really want the glue on thing to work, you need a full sheet of chrome mylar over the dash panel. push the edges down so you can see were the belt line is around the plastic and then sit there with a X-acto and cut the film back to the belt line. that is the only way to prevent a shrinking, wrinkle, issue,,, it can still peel off over time.

a buddy of mine did something like this. came outside on a 90 degree summer day and the glue melted the trim was on the floor and peeling off and the glue smeared over the face of the black plastic. he bought the repop panels after.

before the repops the only way to deal with it for restoration was either send the panels to chrometech USA and hope they didn't lose or break something. then the chrome was hit or miss with bubbles or fisheyes. they really wouldn't prep the parts for you just vaccum chrome them. the other option was MR dash (think that was the name) but you had to send him your originals for a core, and then he would send you parts from his stock that was freshly chromed. you had to mask the parts for black camera paint. IF your core was deemed No good, you wouldn't get the deposit back, which was all the time basically because all the dash plastic has cracks in it. you ended up spending twice as much for a factory piece verse a repop. unless you had a concourse car its pointless.

Nice Threat

I became my Dash parts from the paint shop. Costs was around 80$.

I dont wanted to buy the repro because i wanted to do some costum stuff with it.

I also like the black paint. Looks like a black mirror ^^

I now bought some wood foil. It looks like the foil from a BMW.

Also bought a chrome foil.

The only problem now is i dont now how to make the O-bezels from the gauges

I looked on ebay. There are millions of O-bezels in alle variations and sizes.

Till now i couldnt find the right ones.

If someone have an idea it would be great.

I will send some pictures when i have the first parts finished

Regards

Andreas

Nice Threat

I became my Dash parts from the paint shop. Costs was around 80$.

I dont wanted to buy the repro because i wanted to do some costum stuff with it.

I also like the black paint. Looks like a black mirror ^^

I now bought some wood foil. It looks like the foil from a BMW.

Also bought a chrome foil.

The only problem now is i dont now how to make the O-bezels from the gauges

I looked on ebay. There are millions of O-bezels in alle variations and sizes.

Till now i couldnt find the right ones.

If someone have an idea it would be great.

I will send some pictures when i have the first parts finished

Regards

Andreas
Do you have the original dash console to go by?

Hi

Yes. I still have all the original stuff.

Its all black.

I started now to re"chrome" them

and the only thing whats going to be hard will be this "ring" bezels for the gauges

http://www.jawamarkt.cz/neueteile/tachoring354V.jpg

It will be hard to find one with the correst sizes.

Regards

Andreas
I don't think that will work to your satisfaction, as the bezels on the 3-gauge pack center pod are oval in shape because of their angles in relation to the inset gauges... i.e.: they're not exactly round.

I could be wrong though - good luck!

Hi 72,

Thankyou for your feedback on the chrome dash plastic subject.

I found your comments very informed and helpful.

About amonth ago, i was planning on which way i was going to go with upgrading my original interior.My dash panels with chrome trim are in respectable condition, but since i'm getting a new center bezel with gauges for the dash and a reconditioned console for the floor, i will be buying new trim with chrome for these items.(Console clock bezel, and gear shifter bezel)

Then i thought, why not finish the whole thing off properly and buy the instrument and glove box trims as well.The new gear will make the original trims a bit tired looking i think. I agree with you 100% and believe that's the best way to go all round. As you say, for the money, it's a wise investment.

Thanks, Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back