How do I get this thing in park - C6 shifter linkage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
How does the shifter linkage on a C6 work? It looks like it has multiple arms, only one connected to something.... the cable from the shifter has a long slotted end, I'm guessing for adjustment, and I'm not sure how this thing is supposed to be (or even if I have all the necessary parts).

What I know right now is the car rolls with the shifter in park. I'm hoping the parking pawl is not broken, but I don't know how to confirm if it is. I'm not sure in what direction the thing moves in anyway (I don't have anyone to help me with it, so I'm either in the car or under it, not both), and honestly I can't just push it and check, it's parked on a rather steep hill and if I let it roll I'm stuck, and can't really jack it up safely like it is

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from the 1973 Ford Shop manual. The C6 linkage in the Mustang is tied to the steering column (like a column shift) so that it can be locked with the ignition switch. The top part of this photo (Figure 7) applies to the Mustang.

2rm0479.jpg

How does the shifter linkage on a C6 work? It looks like it has multiple arms, only one connected to something.... the cable from the shifter has a long slotted end, I'm guessing for adjustment, and I'm not sure how this thing is supposed to be (or even if I have all the necessary parts).

What I know right now is the car rolls with the shifter in park. I'm hoping the parking pawl is not broken, but I don't know how to confirm if it is. I'm not sure in what direction the thing moves in anyway (I don't have anyone to help me with it, so I'm either in the car or under it, not both), and honestly I can't just push it and check, it's parked on a rather steep hill and if I let it roll I'm stuck, and can't really jack it up safely like it is

Your location say's DC Metro Area. Where are you located. I live in Calvert County Md and work in Ashburn Va. so if your somewhere between these locations I could stop by and give you a hand! John!

This is from the 1973 Ford Shop manual. The C6 linkage in the Mustang is tied to the steering column (like a column shift) so that it can be locked with the ignition switch. The top part of this photo (Figure 7) applies to the Mustang.

2rm0479.jpg
Thanks Steve!

I take it that it will work without the steering column linkage? Seems like it's just a safety thing... not too worried about that ;)

Are there any instructions about how to adjust the thing?

Your location say's DC Metro Area. Where are you located. I live in Calvert County Md and work in Ashburn Va. so if your somewhere between these locations I could stop by and give you a hand! John!
Thanks John, I could really use a hand with this thing, but it sounds like you're on the other side of the beltway. I live in Laurel and work in Columbia, but it looks like in the next few weeks I may start working out of 3 VA offices (one as far south as Stafford, ug :-/) so I may be driving by you a bit.

Here is the adjustment procedure for the neutral start switch for the Mustang with C6. If your car will start with the transmission selector in anything but park or neutral, you should follow this procedure. When you say that the cable from the shifter has a long slotted end, are you talking about the electrical cable?

73m8oh.jpg

When you say that the cable from the shifter has a long slotted end, are you talking about the electrical cable?
I guess I misspoke. The only electrical connections on my shifter is a grey(it might have a stripe or something) wire hanging down from the shifter under the car, whatever it was connected to has been ripped off (have I said that this car is a bit of a basket case, there are all sorts of wires under the hood that are just cut...).

The long slotted end that I mentioned was the end of the linkage where it meets the lever on the transmission, where the red arrow is on this drawing:

ShifterLinkage1_m.jpg

OK I'll attempt to answer your question. I have a C6 in my stang however it has an aftermarket shifter and a manual/reverse valve body in it.

From the schematics others have posted it looks like the slotted end of the shifter rod should be connected to the shifter end. So what you want to do is:

1. Put the shifter in PARK

2. Get under the car loosen the nut on the adjustable end of the rod

3. Push the shifter rod on the tranny as far as it will go towards the back of the car

4. Tighten the nut up that should do it if the tranny itself is ok.

You said you have 3 arms on the tranny end correct?

one is for the shifter

one is for the neutral safety start this one isnt needed as long as the arm on the column is set to where the key will turn to the start position

one is for the tranny kickdown. As long as you dont have a manual valve body in the tranny this one needs to be connected to the carbuerator. It basically downshifts the car to second from 3rd if you punch it!

Hope this helps! If you decide you really need some help to get it done let me know and I'll see if we can schedule a day for me to stop by and help. Hell I need to go by Harbor Freight and get some things anyways!!! :D

It's kinda an inside joke, suffice to say it took me FOREVER to get some parts to Roy. The problem was I was using them!

This will not be that bad. I get back home tomorrow and will find the part and ship Monday.
LOL now thats funny:D

LOL, do you have a door handle actuator rod too? ;)

Thanks!
Which rod or rods do you need

There are 4 per door and they are L or R specific

Don

Back