Custom dash mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach 1
460" C6 9"
Hi guys 'n girls! I have just removed my dash and will begin work shortly. I want to have a custom look and a racing feel to my car. I'm making a fiberglass replica and working from that. I want to keep the original if I want to revert in the future. The green color is just representitive of the exterior paint or it's accent color. My car will proberly be satin black with Monster green striping and parts. (Gittin jr wannabe...) Do you have any suggestions on what to do or if it sounds and looks to tacky? ;)

2lt2hon.jpg

Agree! It's just that a little input makes you think and evolve your original idea and make it better! :)
True, I kept the original dash stuff and just personalized from there. A little carbon fiber and brushed aliminum in place of the wood grain and such

We support all kinds of imagination! (except purple GM"s)
Haha, that will never ever ever be a problem in my garage! GM's are NOT allowed!

Agree! It's just that a little input makes you think and evolve your original idea and make it better! :)
True, I kept the original dash stuff and just personalized from there. A little carbon fiber and brushed aliminum in place of the wood grain and such
Yes, it turned out grrrreat too! Good job!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm personally not partial to green, but it could very well look right at home when it's done. Other than that, I think it looks pretty cool. I do have one question. If you have a tach with a shift light on the right of he speedo, what are you puting in the original tach spot?

I'm personally not partial to green, but it could very well look right at home when it's done. Other than that, I think it looks pretty cool. I do have one question. If you have a tach with a shift light on the right of he speedo, what are you puting in the original tach spot?
Hi! I don't have the tach but just the standard warning lights w/o clock/tach so it will stay the same except for a change of bulbs to leds. I'm not sure about the green either... ;) Maybe I'll go back to my original plan of orange.

Hi guys 'n girls! I have just removed my dash and will begin work shortly. I want to have a custom look and a racing feel to my car. I'm making a fiberglass replica and working from that. I want to keep the original if I want to revert in the future. The green color is just representitive of the exterior paint or it's accent color. My car will proberly be satin black with Monster green striping and parts. (Gittin jr wannabe...) Do you have any suggestions on what to do or if it sounds and looks to tacky? ;)

2lt2hon.jpg
You´ll need to lower the car and put 18 inch rims on it, best painted green then to go with the style!

2lt2hon.jpg
You´ll need to lower the car and put 18 inch rims on it, best painted green then to go with the style!
I agree! New rims in the spring! AR 18" rear 17" front. But I need a winter project... :)

I like the horizontal stripes. maybe a litttle too much accennt color to fill in the whole middle console.

I agree! New rims in the spring! AR 18" rear 17" front. But I need a winter project... :)
Be careful with those 17s in the front. You may have clearance issues with the upper ball joints. With 18s there are no problems.

Nice "mach"up....haha get it, anyway...I like your idea of the gauge mounts in the center and the ignition panel above the Navi unit. I personally would mount and matching speedo and tach in the holes provided by ford, other than that it looks good. I painting all of my plastic bezels silver a long time ago with some flat black accents when the aluminum look was cool, got over it real fast and it is all solid black, just something to think about. The green is bold, but will you grow out of it later...

Thank you all for the input! I agree with everything, but as you say an original idea will change along the way to something one is more pleased with in the long run! Thank you all for your input! It really helpes my thinking process! I think the center console will be carbon as someone already suggested and I will surley drop the green inside the housings and go with black instead. As for the gauges I would really, really like to have them in the original spots but I am having trouble finding a nice set of matching gauges with KM/H instead of the MP/H since I live in Sweden. Thats why I'm thinking it would be easier to keep the original speedometer and an aftermarket tach.

AHEM... that's Kawasaki green... jus' sayin'... :D
Hehe, I know it's a bit of swearing in the church... :) How about Harley orange? ;)

Thank you all for the input! I agree with everything, but as you say an original idea will change along the way to something one is more pleased with in the long run! Thank you all for your input! It really helpes my thinking process! I think the center console will be carbon as someone already suggested and I will surley drop the green inside the housings and go with black instead. As for the gauges I would really, really like to have them in the original spots but I am having trouble finding a nice set of matching gauges with KM/H instead of the MP/H since I live in Sweden. Thats why I'm thinking it would be easier to keep the original speedometer and an aftermarket tach.

Hehe, I know it's a bit of swearing in the church... :) How about Harley orange? ;)
I love green but just as an accent, center seems over powering if it was mine I love your ideas dont let us change your mind but as a side note you must be alot younger then me because the only people that had satin paint jobs were the guys like me that couldnt afford a shiny paint job! All my paint jobs must be shiny- thats an old mans perspective.

You may want to contact stevemach1ford. He has been modifying his factory cluster to accept AutoMeter gauges. He's still working on it as far as I know but it looks really clean so far.

As for the 17's up front, from what I gather from the forum, a 17x8 with a 4.5" backspace should work just right with a 245/45-17.

You may want to contact stevemach1ford. He has been modifying his factory cluster to accept AutoMeter gauges. He's still working on it as far as I know but it looks really clean so far.

As for the 17's up front, from what I gather from the forum, a 17x8 with a 4.5" backspace should work just right with a 245/45-17.
Thank you for the input! I also gather that a 17" inch wheel would fit nicely!

I love green but just as an accent, center seems over powering if it was mine I love your ideas dont let us change your mind but as a side note you must be alot younger then me because the only people that had satin paint jobs were the guys like me that couldnt afford a shiny paint job! All my paint jobs must be shiny- thats an old mans perspective.
Hi, I just want that racingfeel to my car, it's not a money issue since no matter what color I choose the cost will be roughly the same since I know the painter personally and the difference in how much the paint costs will be in the margain of about 50-200 dollars. It's just that I fell in love with Gittin jr's drifting Mustang. As for the age I'm past the 30-line but not at the 40...yet! ;) Btw, I have own my mach 1 since the day I was old enough to drive (18) here in Sweden. I drove it for the first five years as it sat, a fairly good specimen of a 80's dragcar. Best ET 12.012 but that was way before me and I have changed a lot on the car so I'm expecting to be in the high 10's low 11's.

Back