dash paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73greengold

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
302 2bbl
Ram Air
Hi all, trying to find what color black to repaint my metal dash. I've learned the early mustangs had a charcoal black metalic paint, but not sure if that is correct for the 71-73 beasts. Thanks.

Hi all, trying to find what color black to repaint my metal dash. I've learned the early mustangs had a charcoal black metalic paint, but not sure if that is correct for the 71-73 beasts. Thanks.
I tried some krydon semi flat black and it looks pretty good right now. I'll check it in the morning sunlight to see if its flat enough.:D

Currently recoloring my interior from Ginger to Black...

While I am not sure how it will work on the glove box part of the dash, I have been using Rustoleum satin black for my back window bezel and package tray, front metal dash (that padded dash attaches to. I wanted that low gloss to reduce reflection from windshield. I have used Rustoleum Black Gloss on plastic trim, seat backs. I did interior rear quarters in satin and they turned out really nice. I did shoot them, as well as all other plastic parts, with standard primer first...

I need to pull out my center console and paint but top area is broken and will likely replace the entire assembly. Not sure if I will shoot it satin or gloss. Need to drink some beers and think on it a bit... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
actually the original dash is not painted regular black, its a black metallic with flake in it.

Mustangs Unlimited sells the correct paint for the dash of our cars. I used it on mine and it came out very nice.

SEM mixes spray cans of "black metallic" ,actually charcoal metallic, for NPD. The NPD number is VP-4464. It is a very good match.

Chuck

Is the charcoal mettalic paint used for the instrument cluster different than the center guage section and the center console?

Mine looks regular semi goss/flat without the metalic sparkles.

Anyone have any ideas?

Anybody have a good source and/or technique to reapply the chrome trim on the outlines for the gauges and whatnot?

I have an idea on how to do it, but I'm pretty sure it won't be 'chrome' (more like silver paint) using a small ink roller (on wide pin-stripe roller).

My dashboard pieces are just old looking... chrome trim is dull, black paint is faded, and overall really dirty. I'm pretty sure a thorough washing will help, but that won't bring back the chrome trim. So, I'll probably wind up repainting and figuring out how to get some chrome (or chrome-like) trim on there, rather than spend another couple hundred for new plastic.

Anybody have a good source and/or technique to reapply the chrome trim on the outlines for the gauges and whatnot?

I have an idea on how to do it, but I'm pretty sure it won't be 'chrome' (more like silver paint) using a small ink roller (on wide pin-stripe roller).

My dashboard pieces are just old looking... chrome trim is dull, black paint is faded, and overall really dirty. I'm pretty sure a thorough washing will help, but that won't bring back the chrome trim. So, I'll probably wind up repainting and figuring out how to get some chrome (or chrome-like) trim on there, rather than spend another couple hundred for new plastic.
Don't paint the chrome.

I just finished my instrument cluster and center guage console. I used an aluminum adhesive tape that forms to the trim.

I'll post pics monday.

Great idea! That turned out real nice.
Thanks!

Next project will be to re-vinyl the peeling wood on the door panels.
Nice work.

Where did you get the woodgrain adhesive, and the template? (Were you able to peel your old one off in one piece as shown?)

Also, the aluminum tape, was that used for all of the chrome trim? Were seperate pieces used, say one piece along each of the four edges of the outline?

Thanks,

~Jim

Here is a quote from a mustang monthly article detailing a 72 mach 1> Our panels chrome was in poor condition; therefore, we used our handy aluminum duct tape to bring it back up to snuff. In a pinch, chrome paint will work too.

Item #FM-BI009BL/A/C

72-73 DASH BEZELS AND GLOVE BOX TRIM KIT, 3 PC

Deluxe instrument bezel, dash trim panel and glove box trim. Three piece matching kit, black camera case finish with chrome trim. Price: $189.95

Great idea! That turned out real nice.
Thanks!

Next project will be to re-vinyl the peeling wood on the door panels.
Nice work.

Where did you get the woodgrain adhesive, and the template? (Were you able to peel your old one off in one piece as shown?)

Also, the aluminum tape, was that used for all of the chrome trim? Were seperate pieces used, say one piece along each of the four edges of the outline?

Thanks,

~Jim
I ordered the vinyl from the following link: http://www.rvinyl.com/woodgrain.htm

I used Walnut.

Use a heatgun or a hairdryer to warm up the old vinyl and it will slowly peel off. You then tape it to the new vinyl and use it as a template.

Rvinyl also carries chrome sheets. I tried a sample piece but was too thick to go around the chrome trim.

For the Aluminum tape, it sticks very well but I had to overlap in some areas.

1. Cut the tape to the required length and width plus a little extra

2. Stick it on a little at a time, becareful not to bend the tape or it well leave a crease

3. Smooth it out wth a soft pencil eraser

4. Form and finish smoothing with your finger

5. Trim the excess with an Exacto knife

In all, I am happy with the way it came out.

Back