Anyone have a pic of under hood light mounting?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 351 4V 4-speed convert
Could anyone supply a picture of the area to mount the under-hood courtesy light? I'm trying to track down a dead short and found what I assume is the lamp assembly hanging behind the engine taped to some other stuff. I'm hoping I can track down the short that has started blowing the 14A fuse for the convenience pkg lights (trunk, map and interior lights) as soon as power is hooked at the battery. I've disconnected the power seat releases assuming they were the culprit but no luck.

Maybe this dangling lamp socket under the hood is part of the problem so I'd like to put it back in the right place.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dan

Have you tried removing the bulb? How about unplugging the wires and seeing if that stops your shorts?

That fuse tends to blow quite a bit due to the rear courtesy lamp areas as well, behind the sail panels if you have a Fastback.

I have some pictures, they are from the Mustang Nationals here in RI this summer.

I hope this helps

my trunk light just recently went out, and I have no voltage at the connector..is it the same fuse?

20120721_181449.jpg

20120721_181519.jpg

20120721_181507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried removing the bulb? How about unplugging the wires and seeing if that stops your shorts?

That fuse tends to blow quite a bit due to the rear courtesy lamp areas as well, behind the sail panels if you have a Fastback.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I pulled all the bulbs and unplugged the seat releases and have started hooking them back up one at a time. Other than the seat releases everything seems to be back on. I've cleaned the socket and replaced the bulb under the hood. Now just wondering where it attaches. Seems like a very short lead wire and haven't tracked down the switch yet.

I have some pictures, they are from the Mustang Nationals here in RI this summer.

I hope this helps

my trunk light just recently went out, and I have no voltage at the connector..is it the same fuse?
Thanks for the pics. That helps. Still not sure where this one goes though as the wires aren't very long but will try to re-attach as in your pics.

Yes I believe the convenience light circuit runs your trunk light as well. It is a 14A on the far left side at the back (closer to firewall) of the fuse assembly. It is tough to read but there are words beside each fuse describing the circuit.

If you need a pic to see where it is let me know and I'll post one tomorrow night.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone supply a picture of the area to mount the under-hood courtesy light? I'm trying to track down a dead short and found what I assume is the lamp assembly hanging behind the engine taped to some other stuff. I'm hoping I can track down the short that has started blowing the 14A fuse for the convenience pkg lights (trunk, map and interior lights) as soon as power is hooked at the battery. I've disconnected the power seat releases assuming they were the culprit but no luck.

Maybe this dangling lamp socket under the hood is part of the problem so I'd like to put it back in the right place.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dan
The pic he posted is correct wiring / socket assy.

There is no switch for the under hood or trunk lights

Don

The pic he posted is correct wiring / socket assy.

There is no switch for the under hood or trunk lights

Don
Okay, so the switch is built into the socket and is gravity or movement activated? Mercury or some kind of liquid in the socket assembly I assume?

I feel like the kid standing in front of the fridge door trying to decide whether or not the light really goes out when the door closes...:blush:

Thanks again for the help guys.

I think it was mercury in either socket or bulb base

Been awhile since I've had one.

Both hood and trunk lights run off of the same circuit: lower right corner if the main wiring harness comes in at the top of the fuse box.

Back