Original 71 Mangum 500 Value

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
I need a little help here. What is the going value for an original set of 4 magnum 500s with no rust, but normal wear. I know there are shiny reproductions out there, but I have a line on some original 15 x7's.

Quick response is appreciated!! Thanks!

Kcmash

IMO, depends on how bad you want 'em.

A LOT depends on your definition of "normal wear".

Need pics and asking price to give a more accurate evaluation.

If I were buying... maybe $100 average?

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct Center caps with them?
I need to see if they are still there.

IMO, depends on how bad you want 'em.

A LOT depends on your definition of "normal wear".

Need pics and asking price to give a more accurate evaluation.

If I were buying... maybe $100 average?
I was thinking about 400-500 for the set too. I need to put other wheels on the car though so I can take these.

Um, no, I was thinking a buck for the SET. ;) Maybe 200... dunno.

I very, very, VERY rarely see wheels (swap meets, etc.) that survive that amount of time that I would value highly. They do exist though.

Again, lots of "depends on" there.

Repros are what, 600/set? With no repair time needed?

Used originals would have to reeeeealy impress me with quality for that kind of cash.

What is your car?
Mine is a 71 Mach, Grabber Blue.

Original 2v Cleveland/FMX, Drums all around, A/C, Tilt, Rear Defog, Black/grey interior, triple gage dash with in-dash CLOCK.

Using all Ford original parts it will be restored as: 351C 4V/ 4Speed, Disc brakes, ram air, spoilers, Tach, power windows, Magnum 500's, plus the original options.

What is your car?
Mine is a 71 Mach, Grabber Blue.

Original 2v Cleveland/FMX, Drums all around, A/C, Tilt, Rear Defog, Black/grey interior, triple gage dash with in-dash CLOCK.

Using all Ford original parts it will be restored as: 351C 4V/ 4Speed, Disc brakes, ram air, spoilers, Tach, power windows, Magnum 500's, plus the original options.
On used magnums - make sure they are nice - stay away from sets needing rechromed as they cannot be re-chromed properly.

Also

I have

early 72 351 4V

4 speed set up

ram air

disc set up

rear spoiler

most of the power window set up

Don

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

VISIT US ON THE WEB AT

www.ohiomustang.com

Don why can't they be rechromed properly?

I tried a couple of years ago.

Chrome shop said they were chromed in two parts then assembled.

He said they would not get enough chrome in the crevice where the two parts meet, if you would try to re-chrome them as one piece.

I tried a couple of years ago.

Chrome shop said they were chromed in two parts then assembled.

He said they would not get enough chrome in the crevice where the two parts meet, if you would try to re-chrome them as one piece.
Thats good information to know....Even know i dont got a pair...I mite run into a set and think..It can just be rechromed...I guess thats not so easy as it sounds.

Aren't the originals satin finished in the center and polished (shiny) finish on the outer. I read an in Hemmings Muscle Car magazine article that said the satin centers were the "standard" magnum and the shiny chrome center was the "deluxe" magnum. I had never heard of an original with the shiny center.

Aren't the originals satin finished in the center and polished (shiny) finish on the outer. I read an in Hemmings Muscle Car magazine article that said the satin centers were the "standard" magnum and the shiny chrome center was the "deluxe" magnum. I had never heard of an original with the shiny center.
I agree, I have never seen shiny centers. I have some original 14 inchers on mycar now that I pulled off a Junkyard Torino in 1983. Satin centers. The centers were processed seperately then welded to the shiny rims.

I noticed that the original magnums have an extra detail in the rims too that I have not seen on any repo's.

I could be wrong(but don't think so), but I thought the 71 versions of this wheel were only available with the brushed beauty rim and matching brushed center spokes.

In 72+ the wheels were available in chrome without the beauty rim(I live in Detroit and I believe theft of the beauty rims quickly became an issue). The chrome wheels have a "slant" to the outer lip whereas aftermarket and 71 wheels had a 90 degree edge to the outer lip.

Info as found on the site link below

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/wheels.htm

Magnum 500 Wheels - Original - vs- Reproduction

How do you tell an original from a reproduction Magnum 500 wheel? The reproduction version has polished chrome spokes... The originals had satin chrome spokes (meaning you can't see your reflection in the originals). Also, the reproduction's outer chrome rim is wrong. The originals had a 1" wide band in the circular area where the valve stem goes, and the repro's have a thin band there, like on a standard black rim. Note: Many catalogs show an original wheel when they advertise the reproductions!) One other note - on cars with Magnum 500's, the outer face of the rear brake drums were covered with black paint by the factory so the rusty drums couldn't be seen through the slots in the wheel.

Ray

I could be wrong(but don't think so), but I thought the 71 versions of this wheel were only available with the brushed beauty rim and matching brushed center spokes.

In 72+ the wheels were available in chrome without the beauty rim(I live in Detroit and I believe theft of the beauty rims quickly became an issue). The chrome wheels have a "slant" to the outer lip whereas aftermarket and 71 wheels had a 90 degree edge to the outer lip.

I think fake magnums with trim rings were later 73 -74 - up rims

They were never available on 71-3 Mustangs

OMS Wrote:

I think fake magnums with trim rings were later 73 -74 - up rims

They were never available on 71-3 Mustangs.

+1 Don. Agreed on the Magnums for 71-3 Mustangs.

Ray

Back