Scratches on Windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slimbo

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351 Cleveland
Hi there my stang has pretty bad scratches on the rear window also the drivers window, I can feel them with my nail but they look like they might be able to be polish out. Anyone had to tackle this problem?

I have some pock-marks on my door glass from where I was not smart enough to remove the glass before taking the cutting wheel to the floor sheet metal. I'm hoping there's a way to polish them out as well... otherwise, I'll just have to budget in for some new glass. :shy:

If you can get a fingernail to catch, you may not be able to do much.

I had some light marring in my quarter windows that came from dirty, contaminated cloth pads that rest against the glass and act as guides. I used a kit from local auto parts store that consisted of some adhesive disks you use with a drill and water spray to grind out the blemishes. It worked fairly well and removed 95% of the blemishes. Unfortunately I do have the name / manufacturer on hand as I write this. These days there appears to be quite a few products out there that may work in a similar manner.

Most important thing you need to do is find the source of what is causing the scratching / blemishing of the glass and correct it. In my case I replaced the old cloth material with new felt material.

I also once had an issue with a weatherstrip staple that was not bent in far enough which put a deep, deep scratch into a brand new quarter window the first time I rolled up up. I recall throwing a cover over the car in disgust and walking away for a week or so after it happened.

I had the same problem , it helpend a lot wen i cut my fingernails . LOL

No , i went to a carglass expert , i think They filled up the scratches and polished it flat. , scratches are all gone now.

JB

I'm wondering if anyone had anything new to add to this. I'm about ready to pull my windows out of storage while the car is at paint. I have seen kits but don't don't know how well they work. I don"t have deep scratched just scuffs from stuff in the window trim.

I have a similar problem at one wiper blade

I was thinking about using a 3M plastic headlamp repair kit to polish it out

I Haven't tried it yet but interested if anyone has don this before

[align=center]

When you use the diamond pads and cut or grind the scratch out you obviously lower the surface of the glass and then you have to polish until clear again. You will see distortion in the area where you grind or polish. Probably better than a scratch.

Never seen the professional fill and polish I would check on that one.

David[/align]

I had scratches on my rear and side windows and I only made them worse trying to polish them out. I took the car to a pro glass place and they could not get them out. I replaced the side rear window and I put louvers on the rear window because it has a rear defrost setup and I did not want to change that. If they are not really bad I would just leave them alone.

Just last week I polished out scratches on a 65 fastback rear glass. The materials were purchased from Eastwood a few years back for some smaller scratches. The main scratch on the 65 was pretty deep and about 12" long. It came out completely but it took every green, blue and orange disc I had. Three each. If I had 6 each I would have used them also. They are fine, medium and course. There is a jar of rouge and a hard cotten disc for polishing out fine scratches caused by the colored disc. Hopefully they still sell these. Mark

Back