Cowl rusted out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
Does anyone have a guesstimate on what a cowl repair like this would cost? I'm trying to figure out if I have enough in the budget to get this done now. Sounds like the Mustang's are pretty notorious for rusted out cowls like this. So I was hoping someone else on the forum had already gone through this type of repair and could give some advice. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

cowl-1.jpg

cowl-2.jpg

Typical cowl price used, good shape, seems to vary from $300-$600 plus shipping.

I have about 20 hours so far in it just removing the front clip, interior dash up to the firewall and windshield.

I already had the drive train out, so that made it somewhat easier.

I'm sandblasting the replacement upper cowl and applying epoxy paint, then sandblasting and patching the lower before applying epoxy paint and welding it back together. Probably another 30 hours before it's finished.

I'm just working on mine in my spare time and I'm anal about it being done right the first time.

If you figure a body shop rate of $50 per hour, I'd estimate $3000 total, but I'm probably figuring high because I'm too anal about it all.

Thanks RacerX... I really wish I had the know-how to do it myself. But this one is out of my league. I'm in the process of sanding and priming the front clip right now. Trying to decide if once I'm done with that send it over to a shop to repair it or just ignore it, do all the other stuff I planned on and have them fix it when it's ready to get a paint job. Decisions, decisions... :)

i can tell you cost. i had it done.

Racer X is about right. around 3000$+

the big problem is the cowl is not reproduced, you either need to source one, or fabricate panels.

then its labor, the labor will vary huge from 150$ in a place like NYC to 35$ out in the middle of nowhere.

in my case, i had to remove a previously done Horrible patch, then remove the rusted out stuff under it. Then spent weeks searching for a replacement cowl.

the only way i could of gotten a solid cowl was cutting up a good Coupe car and dealing with chopping it up and selling off the parts. In the end i opted for Fabrication of new parts because it would of cost me 1000$ between buying a donor, towing a donor, chopping up a donor. then even the donor would of needed some patching, and on top of that i would of needed to gut my dash and remove my front windshield. the patching and fabrication cost me 1200$ but the fabricator did a awesome job.

Also this extra 2500-3000$ it cost me was in addition to other work done on the car at that time. the total front end work i had done was over 8000$

see my cowl here

http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y377/72hcode/cowl/

other work

http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y377/72hcode/towers%20and%20rails/

final work and reassembly

http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y377/72hcode/suspension/

total time from when the car first went into the shop and the estimate was about 4 weeks of work was over 6 months.

If you figure a body shop rate of $50 per hour, I'd estimate $3000 total, but I'm probably figuring high because I'm too anal about it all.
Your pretty much on the money with that quote..Not high at all & that would be with him removing the interior..I already know there's more in there than what you see..Windshield needs to be

removed for sure..The quote means nothing any way..It's a estimate..The only way I'd do that job in my shop is time & materials at $50.00 per hour.

Just a thought, would other year mustang Cowels work with some minor modifacations?
Only 71-73 Mustangs and Cougars. The different body styles all have the same cowl, coupe, fastback and convertible.

The used one I bought came off of a '72 cougar coupe.

Just a thought, would other year mustang Cowels work with some minor modifacations?
Know of a guy who bought a 73 Mach 1 with intent to part out and then cut up body to dispose of in trash, SAD but TRUE located in Noblesville Ind ( Indianapolis Craigs list). Ive seen it, did not check out cowl though, you can look it up yourself or give him a call. Here is his number his name is Doug. Ihave no affiliation with him just checked out the car for the doors. 317 440 1278 Good Luck, Bill

Back