Auto / Manual swap 429/460cid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreasMustang1973Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1973
Hi Mustang Member

My name is Andreas and i come from Europe - Austria ::welcome::

First i am sorry, that i dont speak english very well

I maked an engine swap from a 351 Cleveland 2V to roller 460cid with a dual quad 2 660 Holley carbs.

I think a 4spd toploader conversion would be the best transmission for it and so I started to search for parts... :dodgy:

There are no new parts for it and i have to look on ebay.com , etc...

But for someone wich lifes in europe, it is very hard to find parts.

Does anyone know where i can find all required parts for a toploader swap?

I need everything... linkages, pedals, clutch parts, shifter, transmission, crossmember, etc... :s

My other option would be a c6.

But i dont know if it will "rock" :huh:

Thank you all

Best regards

Andreas

I can't help with parts in Europe, but I can say that your project sounds great! I'm sure some of our other European members can help point you in the right direction! Although, be sure to check with our site supporters! I know Don from Ohio Mustang said about shipping international! Might be worth a shot!

::welcome::

Thank you a lot guys :shy:

The transport isnt really a big problem for me.

Its expensive to buy it in america and ship it to austria yes... but the cheapest way for someone like me.

I will talk with Don.

Thank you

Best regards

Andreas

WELCOME aboard Andreas!

If you are "set" on a toploader, I would suggest you contact Dan Williams Transmission as they are supposedly the premiere authority on the toploader.

http://www.toploadertransmissions.com/

Of course, there are a lot of other viable "options" for a "full on" Big Block Ford. It comes down to your "intent" and "approach." I personally run big blocks and have a C6 behind a mildly modified 472 (460 + .060) in my '73 Grande - - this is my "cruiser."

I currently have a toploader behind a 428CJ in my '73 Mach I. I am in the process of swapping the 428CJ out for a 545 (460 + .030 w/4.500 forged crank). I plan on using a Broader C6 behind the 545. This is my "racer" for lack of a better label:angel:

Hope this helps.

BT

Don mailed me said that he also have less parts for a transmission swap.

He told me that he will help me to indentify the parts i need. :goodone:

Thanks again for the tip and thank you Don.

My next stop is David Kee transmission. Maybe they can help.

I also have found someone on ebay.com, but he said that he has the parts in the garden under 2 feet snow :s

Do you know the Perogie Brothers in New Jersey?

They offer a conversion "kit" but they didnt answer on my mails and my phone call...

At this time my car is standing at the body painter and i will see the car next week.

The hole car is zinc coated :cool:

I had a virus on my computer last month so there are no old pictures...

Best regards

Andreas

Don mailed me said that he also have less parts for a transmission swap.

He told me that he will help me to indentify the parts i need. :goodone:

Thanks again for the tip and thank you Don.

My next stop is David Kee transmission. Maybe they can help.

I also have found someone on ebay.com, but he said that he has the parts in the garden under 2 feet snow :s

Do you know the Perogie Brothers in New Jersey?

They offer a conversion "kit" but they didnt answer on my mails and my phone call...

At this time my car is standing at the body painter and i will see the car next week.

The hole car is zinc coated :cool:

I had a virus on my computer last month so there are no old pictures...

Best regards

Andreas
I have also emailed the brothers in the past with no response:mad:

Hi all

A 4 speed conversion from an 460cid into a 1973 Mustang seems to be very rare :s

I think i must wait until the holidays are over and talk with the perogie brothers. Maybe I have luck...

I will keep searching for it and tell you if i find something.

Have a nice day :run_horse:

Andreas

Andreas,

Please keep in mind that the 429CJ and 429SCJ were available in the 1971 Mustang. The 429 and 460, as you probably know, utilize the same blocks. I have found that when trying to find parts, especially for those "parts people" who may not be well-versed on the Lima motors that is BEST to just tell them that you are looking for the parts for a '71 Mustang. It tends to keep down "confusion."

It should also be noted that according to the Hollander Interchange Manual, the 68-70 428 Mustangs and Cougars utilized the exact same toploader transmission as the 71 429CJ/SCJ Mustangs. When interchanging between the 68/69 to the 70/71 it may be necessary to swap the ext. housing.

Hope this helps.

BT

Hi Cobra

It helps me yes... because i thought that the 428 trans had a different input/output as the 429 trans. ::thumb::

In the end.. the transmission and the shifter arent really the problem for me. I had offers from some people and the price what they told me sounds good.

Its just the hole other parts wich really make me sick to convert to a toploader.

I become now an offer for a conversion kit... i dont want to tell the price... but it would be cheaper for me to buy an unrestored 429 Mustang. ::help::

That really makes me sad.

I am 22 years old and building a house for me... that i just can not buy those little parts for such a price.

I also searched your broader C6 what you said. And thats just a fairly price for me. :D

I will keep searching and let you know, when there are news.

Best regards

Andreas

Back