Special Order Unit????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonEvenson

Reaction score
My Car
This is a 1 of 51, on the Marti Report 71 Sportsroof (Fastback) Mustang show car Grabber Green Mettallic Z code paint, 3W deluxe white interior, Matching #s 351 Cleveland and FMX auto transmission. This is a show quality car, that needs very little to be perfect. Updates are as follows: Edelebrock intake & Carb. Flowmaster Exhaust, Petronix electronic ignition, white face gauges with green LED'S, pioneer MP3/USB and much more.
This is driving me nuts!!!!

On my data plate i have a DSO number of 28K 457, i have found that stands for Louisville (Special Order Unit K457) What does that mean?

Hey neighbor! The 4 digit after the DSO does mean Special Order, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Most I've seen have been for variations of paint color/tint but it could have been for anything out of the ordinary from back in the days when Ford would build you anything you wanted.

Steve

This is driving me nuts!!!!

On my data plate i have a DSO number of 28K 457, i have found that stands for Louisville (Special Order Unit K457) What does that mean?
did ya get the full marti eilte or deluxe report? You should post it so we can decifer if anything unusual "color interior runing gear and such" me... like alot of here read alot of marti reports...We pretty good on pointing out some things. "sometimes" hehe

I have not ordered a marti report yet, but have been looking at the ones posted on here. Will a marti report tell why it was a special order unit? On the buck tag it says BTRAC, i read it means dual sport mirrors on one site, and another that states performance suspension equipment group. Here is my buck tag if anyone wants to try and decipher:rolleyes:

63D (Sportsroof)

28K457 (Louisville special order unit K457)??????

Z (Grabber green mettallic)

3W (White Vinyl with Black Appointments, Luxury Interior)

PB (Power Brakes)????????

RM ??????????????????????

BTRAC ???????????????????

I have not ordered a marti report yet, but have been looking at the ones posted on here. Will a marti report tell why it was a special order unit? On the buck tag it says BTRAC, i read it means dual sport mirrors on one site, and another that states performance suspension equipment group. Here is my buck tag if anyone wants to try and decipher:rolleyes:

63D (Sportsroof)

aww you going off the buck tag..well...some one should be along to help with that...they helped with mine...ill post a picture of mine....btrac does mean dual sport mirror i been reading....But the marti report helps with decoding a bit....it atleast gives you a idea of what was in your car..and give you something to match off.....instead of looking at codes....It did with mine.. some codes on buck tags are hard to decifer....as you can tell with mine..its just as confusing..lol

Last edited by a moderator:

63D (Sportsroof)

Ron,

PB equals Power Brakes

RM equals Rocker Molding

BTRAC as previously stated equals Dual Racing Mirrors

As to your DSO Number:

DSO 28 as you surmised is/was assigned to Louisville for your application. On Mustangs with a six digit DSO, the last four digits were used to designate one of four situations: Domestic Special Orders (DSO), Foreign Special Orders (FSO), Paint & Tire Orders (PTO), or Special Production Orders (SPO). The 28K457 as inferred indicates your Mustang was a special order and has non-standard production feature(s).

The Marti Report should give you a better idea as to which of the above four categories is applicable for your Mustang.

BT

63D (Sportsroof)

Ron,

PB equals Power Brakes

RM equals Rocker Molding

BTRAC as previously stated equals Dual Racing Mirrors

As to your DSO Number:

DSO 28 as you surmised is/was assigned to Louisville for your application. On Mustangs with a six digit DSO, the last four digits were used to designate one of four situations: Domestic Special Orders (DSO), Foreign Special Orders (FSO), Paint & Tire Orders (PTO), or Special Production Orders (SPO). The 28K457 as inferred indicates your Mustang was a special order and has non-standard production feature(s).

The Marti Report should give you a better idea as to which of the above four categories is applicable for your Mustang.

BT
Hell, now my curiousity is up!

Thanks for the info, not sure why i said data plate on the first post knowing i only have the buck tag for this vehicle (data plate was removed from the door and painted over) Looks like i will be ordering a marti report.

RM (rocker moulding) makes sense, i just though all 71's had them

BTRAC (dual sport mirrors) damn i was hoping it meant something cooler than that:)

Thanks for the info, not sure why i said data plate on the first post knowing i only have the buck tag for this vehicle (data plate was removed from the door and painted over) Looks like i will be ordering a marti report.

BTRAC (dual sport mirrors) damn i was hoping it meant something cooler than that:)
Apparently with the special non typical order. It is something special.

Marti also sells the door data stickers coded for your car.

Here is my buck tag, found it in a box in the trunk with a bunch of misc. parts and pieces, and yes i matched it to the vin on my car

untitled tag.png

Got my Marti report, i guess the 28k 457 on the buck tag is something other than the DSO cause it came up as 73 DSO stock order, still happy though cause its 1 of 51 with those paint and trim codes:)

Got my Marti report, i guess the 28k 457 on the buck tag is something other than the DSO cause it came up as 73 DSO stock order, still happy though cause its 1 of 51 with those paint and trim codes:)
Your Buck tag reflects the following:

1F02H----- = VIN

63D = body Type

28X = Scheduled Build Date (October 28, 1970)

457 = Sequence Number

The other interpretations were provided previously.

Source: "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook (1965-1973) models)

Hope this clears it up for you.

BT

1F02H----- = VIN

63D = body Type

457 = Sequence Number

BT
Sorry to hijack the thread - BT, my buck tag has a build date of 09M, do you know what that translates to? Sequence number is 167.

1F02H----- = VIN

63D = body Type

457 = Sequence Number

BT
Sorry to hijack the thread - BT, my buck tag has a build date of 09M, do you know what that translates to? Sequence number is 167.
That would be December 9th, Steve.

BT

Hey neighbor! The 4 digit after the DSO does mean Special Order, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Most I've seen have been for variations of paint color/tint but it could have been for anything out of the ordinary from back in the days when Ford would build you anything you wanted.

Steve
The 3 digit sequence number after the DSO.... stands for....

yours was the 457th vehicle (be it a car, truck, van , cab/chassis, bus, etc.) that was special ordered, for whatever reason, so far that year, through that certain DSO.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

1F02H----- = VIN

63D = body Type

457 = Sequence Number

BT

BT
Hmmm...interesting. Which would make it built in 1971, because if it was a Dec 1972 build date then it would be a 73 model year, right?

BT
Hmmm...interesting. Which would make it built in 1971, because if it was a Dec 1972 build date then it would be a 73 model year, right?
Right. The 1972 Mustang production period begin in August 1971.

According to the Marti "Tag Book", 1972 Mustangs built in December 1971 carried the sequence numbers of 110300 - 161500. The last six (6) numbers of your 1972 Mustang Vin should be somewhere within those numbers.

BT

Back