just got a 72 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrt

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hey, new here.

I just picked up a 72 Mach1 2 days ago, the body and pans are rough. But a very solid car. All the rockers are clean, shock towers are like new. the front half of the car is good. the trunk is a mess. But Ill replace all the sheet metal on the car. and itll spend a lot of time being sand blasted.

the guy I bought it from had it running with putting gas in the carb, The motor sounded great, So thats the main reason I bought it. I put a new water pump, fuel pump, plugs, wires, brakes. etc etc. and it runs great! drove it for about 30 minutes then got pulled over by the cops. gave me a seat belt ticket. the motor has had a lot of work done to it, cam, intake, carbs, headers, etc etc. plus the car only has 52k miles on it. its a 351c 4 barrel head, 4 bolt main. Ill be putting the original intake and carb back on.

The tranny Im having problems with.. I dont even know what it is? he said its a top loader 4 speed. But Im having a hard time finding first gear? I dont know. Ive never messed around with a toploader b4. It may be a 3 speed. he gave me 2 other trannys with it, he said all 3 were 4 speeds top loaders. IDK? anf info would be great.

but its going to be a fun project.

glad I found these forums.

I just took a ton of pics. but this is the drive home.

photo-41.jpg

Welcome aboard! Glad you joined us!

::welcome::

Welcome from west Michigan.

What is it doing when you attempt to put it in gear? It's probably shifter related unless the clutch isn't fully disengaged.

How many levers are on the side of the transmission? A 3 speed will have 2 levers and a 4 speed will have 3 levers.

Post some pics and we can tell you what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from west Michigan.

What is it doing when you attempt to put it in gear? It's probably shifter related unless the clutch isn't fully disengaged.

How many levers are on the side of the transmission? A 3 speed will have 2 levers and a 4 speed will have 3 levers.

Post some pics and we can tell you what you have.
it has 3 levers, so it is a 4 speed. wheres first gear? is it low left? or next to reverse, upper left? Ive never had a 4 speed? thanks for the help!

::welcome:: from Mustang, Oklahoma. It sounds like you are off to a good start. Chuck

Congrats on the Mach and welcome from Chesapeake, VA!

Welcome from Virginia! Sounds like you got a lot of work done in two days. Looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing more about your Mach.

Welcom from Houston,Tx

Welcome from OHIO

Have all the parts you need about 20 minutes west of you.

New parts are on the website

Also have a building full of used parts

Need the intake or did he give you one?

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back