71 with a 70 351 4v question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
Noticed this past weekend that I can see the fly wheel under the car. I just assumed I have the incorrect housing. But someone told me some are made this way or some have a "door" that easily allows someone to check the fly wheel. I don't know too much about this. I don't have a pic yet but will get one up as soon as possible.

Oh and my understanding is this isn't the original tranny. It supposedly came out of a 70 fastback with the engine.

I thought all of the Fords had the access plate to make certain the flywheel bolts were tight....I meant torque converter bolts.(Thanks 73 Mach I Man).

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be a plate that goes over the hole! That opening is there to actually get to the nuts for the torque converter! Its called an inspection plate. A lot of TC'S also have a drain plug in them and this is where you would access this!

Is it a manual or automatic, they both have inspection covers, for an auto it's a flat plate, for the manual it kinda like a halve curved shell.

Top pic is for an auto, bottom pick is for a manual..

wf94bp.jpg

fe_bellhousing_inspection_cover_25762401.jpg

Is it a manual or automatic, they both have insprction covers, for an auto it's a flat plate, for the manual it kinda like a curved shell.

top pic is for an auto, dottom pick is for a manual..
Yep that looks right. It's an auto and that cover looks like a perfect match for the hole I saw. Good, this makes me feel better knowing I probably just need to find a new cover. Anyone know how I would go about looking for this part?

I'll still try and get a picture to put up this weekend. May help the next guy who's searching around with a similar question.

I have them, depends what trans is in the car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search results for: 'inspection plate'

Item #C5DZ-7986-B

65-73 C4 INSPECTION PLATE

Zinc inspection plate for C4 transmissions. Reproduction. Price: $14.95

Item #FM-EI002

Reproduction inspection plate for V8 with C4 transmissions. Price: $11.95

Item #STET0101

65-73 TRANSMISSION INSPECTION PLATE 6 CYL C4

Inspection plate for 6 cylinders with C4 transmission. Reproduction, MADE IN THE USA. Price: $21.95

Item #FM-EI002A

66-73 C6 INSPECTION PLATE

Reproduction inspection plate for C6 transmissions. Price: $28.95

Item #FM-EI002B

68-73 FMX INSPECTION PLATE

Reproduction inspection plate for FMX transmissions. Price: $23.95

Item #F-1230

C4 FMX INSPECTION PLATE AND ENG COVER FASTENERS

C4 and FMX transmission inspection plate and engine cover fastener kit. 3 pieces. Price: $4.00

Don't know what you blokes over their call them, but in OZ they are called, the Sandwich plate, the cover is normallly included, Try E-Bay or MR DON. in Ohio seems to be the go to guy...

Don, I'm not sure. I'm assuming it's either a C4 or C6 auto. It was put into the car with the engine before I bought it and the previous owner didn't seem to know. I'm going to get under it and look for some numbers they may give me a clue this weekend. Thanks for all the responses!

Get me the number off the dip stick

Measure c to c on covers bolt holes

Don

Don, I'm not sure. I'm assuming it's either a C4 or C6 auto. It was put into the car with the engine before I bought it and the previous owner didn't seem to know. I'm going to get under it and look for some numbers they may give me a clue this weekend. Thanks for all the responses!
You really do not need a number as you can pretty much tell by the shape of the transmission pan if it is a C4 versus a C6. The attached link should help.

http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/images/trans/fatid.gif

BT

Then again, the bell housing on a c4 is removable. The bell housing is part of the body of a c6.

Then again, the bell housing on a c4 is removable. The bell housing is part of the body of a c6.
Tiger, the cover peice go's on the front of the bell housing. as the plate dose not fill in the entire distance , The sandwich plate go's between the engine block and bell housing, [need to be put on before the flex plate, is bolted on] this is where the inspection cover is found, at the bottom of the housing, nothing to do with fixed and or removable bell housings, refer to pic 1..

I have them, depends what trans is in the car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search results for: 'inspection plate'

Item #C5DZ-7986-B

Zinc inspection plate for C4 transmissions. Reproduction. Price: $14.95

Item #FM-EI002

Reproduction inspection plate for V8 with C4 transmissions. Price: $11.95

Item #STET0101

65-73 TRANSMISSION INSPECTION PLATE 6 CYL C4

Inspection plate for 6 cylinders with C4 transmission. Reproduction, MADE IN THE USA. Price: $21.95

Item #FM-EI002A

66-73 C6 INSPECTION PLATE

Reproduction inspection plate for C6 transmissions. Price: $28.95

Item #FM-EI002B

68-73 FMX INSPECTION PLATE

Reproduction inspection plate for FMX transmissions. Price: $23.95

Item #F-1230

C4 FMX INSPECTION PLATE AND ENG COVER FASTENERS

C4 and FMX transmission inspection plate and engine cover fastener kit. 3 pieces. Price: $4.00
Do you have one for a 4 speed top loader? :)

I am also looking for an inspection cover for a 4 speed toploader. I have heard a bit of debate about manuals vs auto trans having them or not, but mine is a manual and I can see my flywheel as well. I tried one from NPD that I was for a c4, it looked right but was too small. I will also try to get some pics today and get some measurements for the bolt holes. Hope someone still watching this thread.

Update: Here is the photo of the missing cover. This pic is a little darker than I would like it but it shows the whole thing. It is aprox. 12" across from outside to outside the bellhousing. The bolt holes appear to be kind of off. There is one at the lower left of the housing, and one at the right edge, which would go through the spacer as well. thoughts?

iphone 026.JPG

Latest posts

Back