Starting 1972 after 5 years

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Getting ready to start the 1972 Mustang 302-2V automatic after 5 years. Have done the obvious things, changed oil, new plugs and wires, new Battery, Starter Solenoid, Voltage Regulator and battery cables etc....Some people say to put Marvel Mystery Oil or Liquid Wrench down the plug openings and let soak for a couple of days.

Any advice on things that I can do to avoid problems????

Brian Kool

Remove the plugs and try to turn the engine by hand using 1 hand to push down on the alt belt and 1 on the fan. That way you check to see if it's not ring bound. Chrome moly has a tendency to do that and you don't wnat to break a ring. If this mimimal force works, your good to go.

Yep, make sure it will turn over by hand first. That's how i did mine. No Mystery oil here - it's either going go or blow, most likely go. Sounds like you have done all the basics, what i did was remove the plugs and turn engine by hand first, then crank it over without the plugs or fuel to try and get oil pumped through the galleys that most likely are dry. After you have cranked a few times, put the plugs back in, see what happens. best of luck, look forward to hearing results!

Yep, make sure it will turn over by hand first. That's how i did mine. No Mystery oil here - it's either going go or blow, most likely go. Sounds like you have done all the basics, what i did was remove the plugs and turn engine by hand first, then crank it over without the plugs or fuel to try and get oil pumped through the galleys that most likely are dry. After you have cranked a few times, put the plugs back in, see what happens. best of luck, look forward to hearing results!
+1

I did this job after seven years and ten minutes later the engine was alive.

the time you use the marvels mystery oil is when the motor is totally locked up and you cannot turn the crank at all. usually it works miracles on flat head motors. before 1950.

IMO this is BEST practice.

Change the oil and filter! Prime the oil pump by removing the distributor and valve covers, drive the oil pump with a power drill, a long extension and socket until you have oil pressure and oil in the rockers from the pushrods. Tape, glue, braze or weld the socket to the extension, you do not want it falling off. ONLY after you have primed the oil pump squirt some motor oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over by hand several times. Change the oil again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back