Gas in oil?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrt

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Ok, so I bought this 72 Mach 1. 351c 4v heads. The motor has been built with a cam, headers, a giant weiand tunnel ram dual holly 600s. car sat for 20 years, I put in all the basic stuff to get it running. Fuel pump, water pump, new plugs wires, oil etc etc. And I checked the compression, all 8 checks were between 140-150 psi. So what gives here? What else could it be? I just bought a edelbrock intake and carb for it, and ripped off the weiand.

Just don't know what to do here. If I should put the new intake in, change the oil again. Hope for the best, or should I just pull the motor and rip it down and see what's going on. Let me what u think. Thanks.

A bad fuel pump diaphragm is one possibility; another is overly rich fuel washing down the cylinder walls. My bet is on the fuel pump.

Ok, so I bought this 72 Mach 1. 351c 4v heads. The motor has been built with a cam, headers, a giant weiand tunnel ram dual holly 600s. car sat for 20 years, I put in all the basic stuff to get it running. Fuel pump, water pump, new plugs wires, oil etc etc. And I checked the compression, all 8 checks were between 140-150 psi. So what gives here? What else could it be? I just bought a edelbrock intake and carb for it, and ripped off the weiand.

Just don't know what to do here. If I should put the new intake in, change the oil again. Hope for the best, or should I just pull the motor and rip it down and see what's going on. Let me what u think. Thanks.
Lets start at the beginning- car sitting for 20 years means both 600s need to be rebuilt. There are a lot of things you didnt mention, fuel pressure and are you running a regulator? old fuel lines means debris and sediment in carbs, also way over carbed im sure. You may have pumped the peddle many times to fire it up and washed fuel by the rings? Your safe bet here is to put fresh oil in it, change out the tunnel ram dual quad set up and install a 600-650 carb for starters for running around then when you know how good or bad the engine is you can either rebuild for more performance or tweak your existing combo. This engine is very easy to over carb 1200 cfm is WAAAAY to much. A full boogie 500 hp engine requires a 700-750 carb well tuned for max performance. Find a excellent motor man near you, if you cant find one I can recommend a few on the left coast good luck with your car!

I got a edelbrock intake and 750 carb. Brand new. I'll finish putingbit together tomorrow.. See what happens. It would have been done today if I didn't have to go back up to summit racing to get the right manifold gaskets.

I got a edelbrock intake and 750 carb. Brand new. I'll finish putingbit together tomorrow.. See what happens. It would have been done today if I didn't have to go back up to summit racing to get the right manifold gaskets.
Which intake, exactly?

Which carb?

Which gaskets?

The 4V heads are finicky to manifold installation, as the gaskets can easily slip or not seal correctly on the relatively narrow port flange in the lifter valley.

Some gaskets are not recommended for aluminum manifolds for this reason.

Decked heads are seemingly more vulnerable, if so machined.

Vacuum leaks and/or oil consumption can be telltale signs of slippage.

Be careful.

Ill keep u updated about the car.

Pregnant wife is in the hospital.

All is OK now, but she'll be in for while,

Ill keep u updated about the car.

Pregnant wife is in the hospital.

All is OK now, but she'll be in for while,
Glad all is OK - hope she gets out soon

Back