re wrapping Wiring harneses?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
What is the best stuff to use to re-wrap the wiring harnesses in the engine compartment and trunk area?

Is there a special electrical tape or rubberized tape without adhesive that is supposed to be used? ( stretching it makes it stick)

I just used good old 3m electrical tape. I'm not sure if it is the best option but that is what it seemed to be wrapped with originally. You may want to looking into an actual wire loom, weather it be braided or corrugated. They are much easier to work with when you are diagnosing an electrical problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The factory stuff is non-adhesive, but it is a pain in the you-know-what to apply. NPD sells it, but they take the manufacturer's label off and charge an arm and a leg for a small roll. I found some stuff at Lowes (Scotch Vinyl Electrical Tape, #700) that's a bit better than +33 and is reasonably priced. I go through a 24-unit box about once a year.

This stuff is the shiznit. I'll be having a kit on-order within the next few weeks.

Painless Performance PowerBraid

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-70921/
Brought a complete painless wireing harness for my 66 mustang and the power Braid kit, the braid cover is good looking and felling stuff, was going to use electrical tape on the wireing harness, say every 6 inch to hold it together and then just wrap with braid.

in the trunk it is not that important, but there is a reason the factory used glueless tape. When you are using simple glued electical tape in very hot areas, like close to the engine, the glue gets soft and nearly liquid every time temperature goes up.

Two things can happen. First, the tape glue smears away and the whole tape loosens and peels off, leaving a dirt attracting layer of glue. The dirt acts like a grinder and abrases the cables in the harness.

Second, the glue dries out and the tape peels away.

Some cheap China tapes, to be exactly their glue, have chemicals in them that soften the cable insulation and get aggressive when exposed repeatedly to heat.

Because of this, I would only use the best quality glueless tape in critica areas. I know there is some from 3M, but I do not know the number at the moment.

Michael

No offense to you guys who stick with the electrical tape... But, I was hoping to find something better. I work on a test vehicle for work, and our wiring guys use some cool mesh "cable sleeving". I think a good option is the "Flame-Retardant Plenum-Rated Expandable Mesh Sleeving" if you really want to go upscale on your harnessing. This stuff is $1-$3/foot, so it ain't cheap, but it really will make a great jacket that is protective and looks great.

The nice thing is that this mesh sleeving can be bunched up and when you do that, the diameter expands by 3 to 4 times. You can get it over connectors etc, then fold the cut end into itself and wire-tie it down firmly at the far end. Then, you can pull the sleeving taut, and it conforms to the harness diameter. wire-tie every so often, and you have a nice looking, protective finish.

Below is one of my favorite on-line "parts places" mcmaster-carr. we use it a lot for stuff at work. It's not bargain basement stuff, but it's not the most expensive stuff out there either:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cable-sleeving/=jlewa9

I'm buying some of this harness sleeving for when I put my harness back in. So, I don't have a lot of experience with it in our cars real environment. Just letting you know that, in case there is some issue with it I am unaware of.

Jay

Hi,

I use this:

Harness tape for industrial use made by TESA Beiersdorf(Germany art.n°51608).

Flexible black polyethylene cloth (fabric) tape and stick very well, it's water resistant and ageing resistant.

Temperature resistant to 105°C.

Leaves no greasy adhesive back on the ropes after years.

Use for electrical cables in cars / bikes / vintage oltimer cars / etc....

I have for sale 150 pieces available:

1 piece tape is 59"x0.59" (150cmx1.5cm)

Price for 1 piece = 1.20$(only members-price)

Shipping cost max.8pc.=9.00$ - max.20pc.= 13.00$

Import fee's and taxes are for the buyer.

Justin71,

the Mesh sleaves are very good, I have used them in many stereo installs, but in this case to get the OEM look the tape gives that look.

now I guess we can use the mesh sleave to ptortect the wire then go over it with the tape for the OEM look.

Back